HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dorf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I had rented some over the last few weeks, some new, some old. Here are my thoughts on some of them:

SHALLOW HAL: It was okay, it had a few funny moments (especially when Jack Black's best friend showed Jack the deformity on his tailbone). Apparently it offended a lot of obese people, even though the main message in the movie is that it's what's inside a person what matters, not their looks.

JOY RIDE: Man, I was on the edge of my seat for most of this one. It started out a little slow, but it really picked up in the middle. Not to mention that Rusty Nail's voice gave me the creeps. They left this one wide open for a sequel. If u like action flicks, grab this one.

DUTCH: This one's a few years old. It stars Ed O'Neill (you know, Al Bundy), and he's trying to bring his girlfriend's snotty son home for Thanksgiving. In a nutshell, it sucks. Had a few funny moments, but overall, they just didn't put much thought into the script. (I should also mention that there is about a minute of Little Caesar's "Wrong Side of the Tracks.")

JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK: Another very good flick, but then again, I like a lot of Kevin Smith movies ("Clerks" is highly recommended viewing for everybody). Jay is his usual @$$hole self, and Bob (Smith) actually gives himself more than one speaking line. And the movie overall takes a very funny, cynical look at Hollywood. Rent this one.

FIELD OF DREAMS: Another very good one. It's a tearjerker, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a few at the end when Kevin Costner played catch with his dad. It actually had me thinking back to when baseball was actually played by people who actually cared more about the game than fat contracts and labor agreements.

So does anybody have any comments or rental recommendations?
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

Some recent rentals:

Training Day: Pretty good movie. Different than I thought it would be. From the previews I sort of thought the message of the movie would glorify violence and gangs and be kinda stupid, but it was anything but.

The Last Castle: Another good one. Much less dark than I expected. Cool flick.

Enemy at the Gates: GREAT FREAKIN MOVIE! Go rent it. Now! Go! Seriously, one of the best war flicks in recent history, I think. Not really a typical war scenario though, but very cleverly done and it really draws you in.

Thirteen Ghosts: Pretty weak. Some scary parts, but other than the naked ghost chick it was kinda a yawn. It was cool to see the guy from Wings again though, LOL!

The Others: Pretty good flick, if for nothing else but the end. You won't expect it! Well, actually you'll probably figure it out towards the end, but it's still cool.
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

The last DVD's I rented were Castaway and Rat Race, like in MAY!. Castaway was pretty neat but Rat Race had my hopes a bit too high. It wasn't as funny as it could have been. Its A MAD MAD MAD MAD world is still the best!

Is ya want a really cool movie, get The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. Its British, how can it be a bad rental!! The plus side its like 4 or 5 hours too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
FALCON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by The Dorf:
("Clerks" is highly recommended viewing for everybody). Jay is his usual @$$hole self, and Bob (Smith) actually gives himself more than one speaking line.

I agree Clerks is the total awesome flick, actually 'Chasing Amy is a most incredible follow up... I gotta see this Silent Bob Strikes Back...tx
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

The last new movie I rented was _Spy Game_, which was pretty good. For some reason Robert Redford reminds me of Ted Koppel.
Very'eavy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

Was down at the video store last weekend, and rented some oldies. You could rent 3 for 3 days, for less than 5 $.

So, we saw these, well I did at least, which we just hadn't have time to watch before:

1. Grinchen - both me and my wife just loved it, Jim Carrey at his best.

2. Blade - well, I liked this one, but my wife went and shot some birds instead (video game called Moorhühn). Maybe not so good as Grinchen, but still watchable.

3. Blinkende lygter (Danish for Blinking Lights), a very good one, frankly one of the best I've seen in a long time. At least in my opinion, but my wife killed more birds, while I was watching it, than there were shot animals, including the cows and humans, in the movie. A crime story with some original twists.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

Rent Memento. It's a total head trip.
Very'eavy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Rent Memento. It's a total head trip.

I'm planning to buy this one as a DVD. First will I look at it the way the movie is done, then will I try a thing, that you can do with the DVD. You can watch it in straight time sequence. So, then can I see, if I did "understand" the plot. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
The Dorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY RENT ANY GOOD VIDEOS LATELY? Reply with quote

Oops, almost forgot one:

PAYBACK: Kick-ass flick. Mel Gibson is very cunning in getting revenge on his enemies. And Lucy Liu has a great part as an S&M chick. Highly recommended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: