HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metalflaky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorchin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Metalflaky Reply with quote

Nirto 4040
quote:
Scorchin

posted 10-29-2002 04:05 AM                      
---------------------------------------------------------------[b]The Pirahnna incident happened in the infancy of the board version 1.0( I think), and the program wasn't able to handle the flooding from Pirahnna and a few of his friends that ensued, so the board pretty much just overloaded and took a nap.
( I did try to reason to with him, but it did no good...)
Our policy at HardRadio has and is, to be non-exclusionary from anyone (non-clickish what ever their opinion ) to anyone as long as they are able to express their opinions in a civilized manner. ( what would it be like if we all thought the same?)
MF behaved on occasion when I warned him and occasionaly he had some valid points, or arguments, then he would resort back to flaming everyone. (I think/hope, he just wasn't very good at expressing his opinons in writing. ) but because I didn't dismiss him right away for his outright slanderous remarks (even though I did edit as many as I could, and always sent him e-mails to chill out..) , a few of the original board members took offense, because they thought I wan't doing anything (boy were they wrong) so they left in a huff and had a hissy fit , taking my apparant "non action as a slight towards them" . which it wasn't.
I deleted a lot of his posts ( but that seemed to go unnoticed, except by MF)...At the time this was going on, I really thought the board members had a thicker skin and would understand what we were about, and help me get through this, since as I explained then, wasn't able to [i]ride shotgun[/i] on the board 24/7 . ,,but it seemed the exodus was started by someone who thought,either, A.) I didn't care, (which we did)
or B.) wanted to help another board recruit some ppl, which by the way, has always been cool with us (with a few exceptions), (funny thing though, the person that started the exodus came back, ...for a while, although they're long gone now.).. everyone has always been welcome here, but it was their choice to follow them to another board.
Then the HardBoard went through a few ...shall we say ...eccentric ppl,
When threatening e-mail were sent to board members ... I banned the ppl that sent them....( They were all , too "Don't Answer The Phone" and "Scream" like)
anyway..
HardRadio's thinking has always been...
The more global Metal & Rock opinions and styles we share the better off we should all be...
Through the years, the HardBoard has had its share of kooks come through here (as many of you can verify), and when things get out of hand I will take care of them, ( even better than the Yeti did.) , everyone that has stuck with HardRadio knows what we're about ...
which is...
To give everyone who's into Metal and Rock , a voice, no matter what their nationality, orientation, religion, age or education.
No one can say we haven't give everyone that comes here a fair shake..
I truly believe the reason why HardRadio is as popular as it is today, isn't because we are like "Metallica", (believe me I wish we had a quarter of their cash... and so should you.....there's so much more we want to do...).
Its' because of your selfless dedication to the form of musical expression, we all hold close to out hearts, that most don't understand, and gets next to zero exposure.
HardRadio is here because of you, and will remain here because of you.
This is your site... [/b]

nitro4040

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Metalflaky Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by LEV1ATHAN:
I think I have been here much longer than the "registered:" line says... because I remember the "pirahnna" incident and I was here well before him. Of course, I had to re-register and re-request my original name again, which started me over again I suppose lol

Anyway... I have always held a firm belief that a person's "posts" can be taken wrong... you can't see facial expressions or hear vocal tones, so you can never actually get a full comprehension of a person's "mood" or "stance" when reading his/her comments. Same thing with instant messages... I gave those up, it was ridiculous trying to explain myself with everything I said (typed).

Also, I stand firm in the "to each his own" moniker. I think people who take offense to other's opinions are just plain bored and/or have NO LIFE. You cannot change anyone's opinion; and how the hell can you get pissed at someone because thier opinion doesn't sit well with your own? Many of these little "wars" were based on "Differences Of Opinion", nothing more. That is why I chose not to respond... "Don't feed the trolls" has 2 meanings... 1 - don't respond to spammers and 2 - don't respond if you can't do it peacefully because all you're doing is feeding "thier cause". In my mind, they WANT to piss you off and get your response, so they can flame back at you. Yes, I made my comments in some of those wars, but mostly just trying to show them how ridiculous they were being. I never 'flamed' anyone and never will. The last thing I ever want to do is piss someone off.

Nitro - good to see you again man... I wasn't witness to your "issue" with forum management and probably shouldn't say anything about it... but I will say that the staff here have been excellent to me, especially when I wanted my original name back... I emailed them and (have always) got a response the same day or the next morning at the latest. As far as "handling" the flamers, I think they did what they could with what they had at the time. You have to remember that administering a forum such as this requires making some very difficult decisions... they could never make every single member happy all at once, that is impossible, since we are all different and have diferent views and opinions.

Finally (didn't mean to write a book here), if you want to see an example of "bad moderating" try to visit the message board at [url=http://www.dokken.net]www.dokken.net[/url]
You can't, why? because they pussed out and closed it instead of handling the situation. This is a prime example of what Scorchin (and the rest of the crew) were trying to avoid when just starting out. The situation at Dokken Central got way out of control and reminded me of this board in the "pirahnna" days.

So good to see the Hard Board has stood the test of time. I have many friends here.

Good to see you.

I agree with you in many of your points. Definitely understand that the Admins have it tough and that this board is run much better then most, if not all.

My earlier post was just to give another view. Not trying to blame anyone for what happened and don't really care anymore, not that I really cared that much, but at the time, I felt a lot of the regulars were pushed aside, and this board did die for a while at that point, hell it took me a while to even find where some of them went.

Anyway, alls well, it is nice to see some old names around here and there are a lot of good new people. But then, things sure have gotten better since someone is no longer here. Finally see the light?
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Metalflaky Reply with quote

I think I have been here much longer than the "registered:" line says... because I remember the "pirahnna" incident and I was here well before him. Of course, I had to re-register and re-request my original name again, which started me over again I suppose lol

Anyway... I have always held a firm belief that a person's "posts" can be taken wrong... you can't see facial expressions or hear vocal tones, so you can never actually get a full comprehension of a person's "mood" or "stance" when reading his/her comments. Same thing with instant messages... I gave those up, it was ridiculous trying to explain myself with everything I said (typed).

Also, I stand firm in the "to each his own" moniker. I think people who take offense to other's opinions are just plain bored and/or have NO LIFE. You cannot change anyone's opinion; and how the hell can you get pissed at someone because thier opinion doesn't sit well with your own? Many of these little "wars" were based on "Differences Of Opinion", nothing more. That is why I chose not to respond... "Don't feed the trolls" has 2 meanings... 1 - don't respond to spammers and 2 - don't respond if you can't do it peacefully because all you're doing is feeding "thier cause". In my mind, they WANT to piss you off and get your response, so they can flame back at you. Yes, I made my comments in some of those wars, but mostly just trying to show them how ridiculous they were being. I never 'flamed' anyone and never will. The last thing I ever want to do is piss someone off.

Nitro - good to see you again man... I wasn't witness to your "issue" with forum management and probably shouldn't say anything about it... but I will say that the staff here have been excellent to me, especially when I wanted my original name back... I emailed them and (have always) got a response the same day or the next morning at the latest. As far as "handling" the flamers, I think they did what they could with what they had at the time. You have to remember that administering a forum such as this requires making some very difficult decisions... they could never make every single member happy all at once, that is impossible, since we are all different and have diferent views and opinions.

Finally (didn't mean to write a book here), if you want to see an example of "bad moderating" try to visit the message board at [url=http://www.dokken.net]www.dokken.net[/url]
You can't, why? because they pussed out and closed it instead of handling the situation. This is a prime example of what Scorchin (and the rest of the crew) were trying to avoid when just starting out. The situation at Dokken Central got way out of control and reminded me of this board in the "pirahnna" days.

So good to see the Hard Board has stood the test of time. I have many friends here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: