HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angry Again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

For me, this post relates to my guitar playing, but for you it may relate to some other aspect of your life, or just life in general. I'm 30 years old. I've been listening to metal since I was 11. I went through the hard rock thing, the thrash thing, the death metal thing, and now it's like a melodic death / power metal thing or something that I'm into. I still listen to a great deal of extreme metal, probably more than ever, but when I pick up my guitar to bang out a riff, I don't feel the same as I used to. I can still play hella fast. I can still come up with ferocious riffs and write well enough. But there's like an [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] ANGER [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] that I used to have when I was 20...or even like 25 or 26 years old that just isn't there anymore. Like I was running through Battery by Metallica the other day and a few Slayer riffs, trying to get myself all fired up and get that vibe again, and it's just like "Eh..." I mean, I still love the songs. I can still play the songs. I still feel the fist pumping metal thing. I just don't feel like tearing the strings off the guitar like I used to. Ya know?

Have I reached "metal middle age"? I know some folks here are my age or older. Are you still pi$$ed off, or have you chilled out? I figure it might be because when I was 18 or 20 I had no clue what was happening in my life and was kinda frustrated like most people that age are. I used to drive my car fast everywhere I went. I used to drink a lot. I used to have a bad attitude in general. Not bad like negative, but bad like "stay out of my face". Now, I'm like a respectable citizen with a good career, and I tend to live life a little more normally. I think that's good, cuz I might have killed myself or someone else, but on the other hand I miss that angry attitude. I guess you can't go around being angry forever. Unless you're Slayer. Or Jack Lambert.

Anyone ever think of this? Or, after reading this, are you thinking of it now? Despite other things in your life, is the "metal you" better or worse today than you were 10 years ago? I'm sure everyone must change in some ways.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

I kinda hear what you're saying. In a way I feel I've mellowed out more,in other ways I feel like I'm angrier. I think with me at least,the "mellowing out" thing in part has to do with work and such. You don't have as much
"free time" and such and you expend a lot of your pent up frustrations by being at work and by being busy. You get over a lot of the frustrations you had when you were younger because many of them had to do with being too young to do the things you wanted to do. At 30,you're your own person. You have a career,you don't have teachers or parents on your case all of the time. If you want to go somewhere,you just go. The "kid stuff" that you had do deal with 15 years ago is no more.

However,I think there are always things to be angry about. I know that there are lots of things going on in the world today that piss me off immensely.

Keep it up with the songwriting Mijarra. I'd like to write songs too,but I don't play guitar. I think of riffs all of the time in my head and forget half of them(although they often come back to me). I finally started to hum them or do "Bobby McFerrin" stuff into a tape recorder. I'm becoming more and more interested in making music,although I'm more interested in singing than playing guitar.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm 30 too and I lost my angst and anger years ago. I think it has to to with realizing whats important in life and realizing that you have more control that you once thought. Remember that time when it felt like no matter what you did or how hard you tried you felt like you were being attacked from all sides. You future was unsure and thse with the authority made assumptions about you. That was enough to frustrate anyone.

At 30 I think we become more grounded and sure of ourselves. We are now the ones in authority, and we are confident enough that what our elders call us or think of us effects us less emotionally. We also know that a great deal of what happens in our lives is a direct result of choices we make, and not from some sinister outside source.

Look on the bright side now you will no doubt find yourself focusing on the artistic end of the music. I bet your music will still have that driving powerful anger in it, but I'll also be it becomes better and more rounded with more depth. I think it's a good thing.

Oh, and I like me better now, I far more fun to talk to and I don't get so angry over the little things.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

I'm 36 and I got a lot of anger inside. I live each day at a time, and in a bad mood 99% of it. The only difference between today and 20 years ago, is that now I think twice before to crash something against the wall (but I still kicking drawers).
Even if I like now some music that I would have never dare to hear years ago, is also true that I need to hear stuff that is heavy, fast and grinding to keep my inner violence at bay.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

I'll be 29 in a week.

It wouldn't be fair ot say I lost my anger, because I was never quick to anger. Frustrate, sometimes, but rarely ever anger. Depression, that was another matter, and that wasn't good for my metal appreciation.

For me anyway, it's more about passion and fire in yer belly than anger, and I know I've still got that. One thing that helps is that my tastes are always evolving, refining, though always staying very metal. I don't listen to Slayer or Metallica very often these days, but I find that Vader does for me what Slayer once did, Nevermore, what Metallica once did, Lacuna Coil, what Concrete Blonde once did, etc.
Ogre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
[QB]But there's like an [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, Juan, I think what you are experiencing is called "maturity." It is not necessarily a bad thing, it is just a thing. Some people achieve it earlier in life than others, some people (unfortunately for the rest of us) never achieve it.

I used to be a somewhat "tense" individual myself. I have relaxed quite a bit, however, with age-- there are some who claim that I am almost a different person in many respects, but I have not yet encountered such an individual who perceived this as being a negative. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] While you may believe that you somehow "miss that angry attitude," if you look at those around you who have such attitudes I suspect that you will find yourself thinking, "you know, these people are really unpleasant to be around." It is "cool" to have an angry attitude if one is playing a role (performing rock star, movie actor, or the like), but having such an attitude in real life generally means that those with whom you come in contact think you are an *******. Realizing this phenomenon helped me to realize that I didn't really "miss" my angry attitude as much as I was perplexed by the change (whatever it was) that eliminated it. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There is a reason why the song says "Give Peace a Chance" and does not say "Give Anger a Chance." [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Rock on, my mellow metal brother...
rockin500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

im only 24 so i havent hit the old folks home like you guys are making it sound. so i still have my rage and anger and all that fun stuff. but not as much as i used to. I dont think it has anything to do with maturity though. Its more a transcendence into the next stratum.

thats just my look at it. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

The thing I seem to be losing while I'm "maturing" is not anger but more like that flame of intensity that makes me think I can do anything. It's depressing losing that feeling, like I know two years ago I'd say "I'm going to run 30 miles without training for it" and I'd get pretty far now I'm worried about consequences. It irritates me that I can't just believe in myself and do things, but I guess part of it is just finding the reality that I'm not going to succeed in everything I do.

I'm only 23, so I'm sure I've got years to go even before I hit the true rock bottom. I miss having faith in myself, but maybe in time it will be built back up in other ways. I hope so at least.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Angry Again Reply with quote

And I'll add that I'm angry a lot of the time too, but I haven't been good at transferring that into music, maybe in part because I suck at the guitar. Maybe also because I still need a distortion pedal for it to sound the way I need it to sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: