HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames Soundtrack Revisited, + New Evergrey
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: In Flames Soundtrack Revisited, + New Evergrey Reply with quote

I've been listening to the new In Flames over and over and really trying to look at it a little deeper. I have come to a few conclusions. One being that I presonally have completely dismissed any nu-metal wanna-be aspirations that I may have (ok, I did) originally accuse them of. Secondly, I do stand by my original criticism of it being a massive mistake to cast aside the melodic guitar and harmonies that made them legends. That said, once I stop whining about what this CD [i]isn't[/i], I am really hearing a lot of good stuff. For one, there is a certain hook-i-ness to just about every song, usually conisting of a very nicely arranged chorus section as well as some excellent, if sometimes a little weird, musical interludes. Also, though I lament the absence of the thick, interwoven, signature In Flames guitar sound, there are many riffs and passages which I can confidently declare as being "heavy as sh*t". That's cool. Thing is, there was a time when In Flames could be heavy AND melodic, but for whatever reason there is something different here, and it's not so bad. So, I guess I am not hating this CD as much as I first did. Maybe a had too many pre-conceptions when I first got the CD. Maybe it grew on me. Who knows.

As for Evergrey, yet another amazing release with [i]The Inner Circle[/i]. I suspect there will be some of the same production complaints as there was with [i]Recreation Day[/i], but that didn't bother me then and it doesn't with TIC. As with all Evergrey CDs I have, which is only the 3 US releases, I can listen to it straight through, beginning to end, without complaint. If I have to pick favorite songs though, I would say In the Wake of the Weary and More than Ever and my two favs on the disc. It's all good though. The guitar work of Englund and Danhage is brilliant, the vocals are brilliant, the arrangements are brilliant. It's hard to pick my favorite Evergrey CD....I think I like each release more than the last.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only listened to the Evergrey once...and it's pretty damn awesome Twisted Evil
General Zod

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for In Flames, I'm still undecided. Better than "Reroute", but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

As for Evergrey, I'm not sure who would complain about production on this one; it's superb. By the way, the first two CDs have long been available in the U.S. Additionally, the remasters were recently released in the U.S. If you don't have the first two, you should lay your hands on them soon.

GZ
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="General Zod"] Additionally, the remasters were recently released in the U.S. If you don't have the first two, you should lay your hands on them soon.

GZ[/quote]

I just found that out last night and ordered them on Amazon after I posted here. I also ordered the newer one by Edguy. I never heard this band before but people seem fond of them so I thought I'd check em out.
AZRock

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy from Amazon? The End has much better prices ($13 each for the first two Evergrey discs) and free and fast shipping. They carry alot of great metal.

http://www.theendrecords.com/omega/omega.htm
JosephC

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically enough I was going to post reviews of each of these two CDs tonight or tomorrow. To say I was disappointed with both of them would probably be an understatement.
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time getting into STYE. I love everything up to it, including Reroute to Remain. I saw them live last weekend and they friggin ruled...even the new songs sounded good but once I listened to them on disc after that, it just didn't hold the same power it had live. Or something...

I will probably pick up the new Evergrey in a couple of weeks....
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AZRock"]Why buy from Amazon? The End has much better prices ($13 each for the first two Evergrey discs) and free and fast shipping. They carry alot of great metal.

http://www.theendrecords.com/omega/omega.htm[/quote]

I've looked at their site a little, and it seems like they don't always have everything in stock. A few times I went there intending to order something from them but couldn't find it so I ended up with Amazon. Now I just save myself aggravation and go straight to Amazon. Maybe I just had bad luck and should try again or something, but that's been my experience so far.
thekeys1212

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like their new album, but it hasn't really grown on me yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: