HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROKUS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: KROKUS Reply with quote

From early 1999 until June 2000, I lived in McLean VA, south of DC. While hanging out in DC goth clubs, I met a guy who was playing guitar in a local death metal band, and paying the bills by working for the US Postal Service. When I told him that Krokus "Headhunter" is one of the top 20 metal records in history, he laughed. Until he heard it. Then he agreed.

"Headhunter" really is that good, and is much heavier than people who know of Krokus only through their videos understand. "Screaming in the Night" is an anthem. More than one song on the record is outright speed metal. Their cover of Randy Bachman's "Stayed Awake all Night" is very very very cool. The record ends with "White Din/Russian Winter," which is an awesome instrumental/song combination. Get the record. Both Fernando Von Arb (lead guitar) and Mark Storace (vocals) are among the best in metal history.

Then, get the record that preceeded it, "One Vice at a Time." It's a bit more bluesy hard rock oriented than "Headhunter," but is also heavy and excellent. The last song on it is about Elvis Presley's self-destruction, and has one of the best song (and album) endings you will ever hear.

After those two records, Arista Records (now non-existent) tried to turn this great band into a MTV hair metal thing. "The Blitz" sukks. The next record was OK, but by then bassist Chris Von Rohr had left, and the band never returned to the heights of "Headhunter."

They made a couple of classic records, though. No doubt. "He's out on TV, this Elvis P. High on pot and he loves it a lot. Givin' you somethin' new. Very brave, in my grave."
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked THE BLITZ. It has some decent tracks. Ready To Rock, Midnite Maniac, Our Love and Rock The Nation are all cool. Change of Address and Stampede were the iffy ones. If you get the chance get Metal-Rendezvous (my fave - Tokyo Nights!).
The Dorf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have heard Metal Rendez-Vous. I do have Hardware, One Vice At A Time, Headhunter, and The Blitz. And I like them all.

I also saw them back in 1982 opening for Rainbow. Believe it or not, they only played five songs.
RAWHEAD RALF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this is a totally amazing topic coincidence: i happened to come across one vice at a time just yesterday. bought it on sight. been seeking it for years. mainly because it's co-produced by tony platt. platt engineered ac/dc's back in black, of course. (i'd be curious to known what else platt's worked on, anyone associated with ac/dc's masterwork has lifetime cred with me.) i've only listened to the first three songs on vice and it rocks. you can hear the similarity in sound to back in black. as for the blitz, i recall when it came out krokus made a statement in hit parader or circus that it signified their departure from serious, gloomy rock to a more up/l.a. metal style, probably due to the success of van halen's 1984. the blitz is indeed somewhat schlocky but midnight maniac is one of krokus' best songs, the chorus delivering a hook of almost mutt langian proportion. even though krokus is somewhat maligned for their raggedy andy-sleazy image, they are full-capacity krokus and no one does what krokus does quite like krokus does. in fact, no one comes close...

www.callumhouston.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: