HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question For Jorge Castillo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Question For Jorge Castillo Reply with quote

What's your opinion on the metal scene down in South America? Tell us about what it's like to be a metal fan in your country. I've heard and read that metal is pretty big down there.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....Thank you for your interest in South America and its relacion with rock music.

Southamerica has always been known by his toughness in concerts as you must know, for example in Brazil security uses guns instead of hands.
Southamerica (and please not LATIN america, because ther is a HUGE difference between a Puerto rico guy and someone from Argentina, BRazil or chile)

Well...A comment we often have in here is about the regularity of the shows and the costs. We listen and see regularly that bands are presenting in USA or EUROPE quite often. that's imposible in here. People says I've seen maiden like 30 times...here they have come to Chile only 5, see...and twice the show has been cancelled for different problems. so they have played only three times and one of them was with Blaze. That's one example. Anthrax has only come once! and they have never played in other southamerican countries. Slayer itself (having a Chilean member in their formation) has come 2 times I think, or 3 at most. Dickinson has come twice (The first time with Skunkworks I think and little people knew about the gig). BESIDES the limited number of Shows, the bands play only in one city, In Santiago, THe capital. It happens the same in all countries, Except in Brazil. In argentina, bands play only in Bs. AIres.
Which make people that lives in other regions like me, Viņa del Mar, to take a bus or rent-a-Van (which is not bad at all for the fun at the band during the trip, hehe) in order to attend the concert. Something that increases the costs of the show of course.

Although, this is changing very fast.
Brazil keeps at the top of the gigs in South America, but Chile has moved Argentina to the third place in the number of gigs. These three countries take all of the concerts, then the bands fly to Mexico...or viceversa, the rest of the countries only receive regular visits. Maybe it has to be with economicall expansion. Brazil solds out 5 or 6 kiss presentations Instadiums of 20.000 and up capability. For example, KISS in the '98 or sth like that, didn't visit Argentina or CHile, and prefered to do 3 more gigs in BRazil. Someting that obviously was ruled by $. As you might know argentina's people are having a bad time becouse of corruption in their politicians..although they will be reborn soon.

That might be one reason because people goes nuts in the concerts...and are crazy when a band is playing. For example when I watched Anthrax, I knew it was going to be the UNIQUE oportunity to see them. So I went crazy and all people did. It's a common feeling. The anthrax guys were so happy you can't imagine. And we all loved the show. So, mix that with high cost tickets. and plus the trip you need to take in order to attend the concert. The overall costs rises pretty high. for example for DIO I will expend like $ 20.000 pesos. That would be like.....mmm....US$32. I don't know how much do you pay for a concert but remember that the per capita income is lower here.

So I think that this mixed beberage is the reason why people blow themselves in a concert and goes so nuts and crazy when a band plays.

That's related to concerts. To be a fan is great. It has to be like any other place in the world. With the consideration that the lower income to get cd's regularly. but it has to be the same. I still know people who listen to music in Tapes. Although, can you believe that when I was at school I attended a school in which the 90% of the people where metal fans. That was a school that allowed their students to attend with long long hair. (In most of schools here that's forbidden). So have the long hair is a form "to opossing the system" of course this ideas run in our head when you are a young guy.

Then you grow up and begins the idea of forming a band....many people does that....and someothers die trying. There the southamerican bands begin to appear. IN argentina the rock movement is incredible strong. But you cannot imagine it. I tell you. 80.000 people for a rock band that plays with trumpets .... kind of soccer asociation. it is incredible and hard to understand. But they have great rock bands. A ponit to consider is that they sing EVERYTHING in Spanish. English is Morally forbidden...you know the Malvinas War Conflict with England...deeply marked them.
Here in Chile it's not the case. The bands that sing in Spanish is ONLY because no one at the band could write well in English. Only a few bands play in Spanish. Something that is growing stronger here in chile is Black metal bands....they are growing like mushrooms after the rain...you know.

Now I ave started a Rock Radio Program here In Chile.

Okay Guys I will continue later because I need food to live.

see you--!
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jorge. Your reply was very interesting. I just wanted to get an idea of what your scene is like down there. You're probably the first South American fan that has ever posted here,at least in the time I've been here.

Another question...

What are the most popular metal bands in South America right now?
totembird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is interesting......especially about that one school allowing long hair and 90% being a metalhead. Sounds like a kick ass place to hang out... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: