HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when it all started....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalholiC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: when it all started.... Reply with quote

I intrested to know what band made you to get in metal...
for me it was about six months ago when my friend show me "one" by
metallica...and then it all started...
i am 15 and most of you quiete old, so if you remember the first song or band write it!

Smile

long live metal \m/
voodoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first heavy band I enjoyed regularly was Led Zeppelin. I listened to them constantly in the late 80's. Then I started listening to Black Sabbath and Ozzy, then Metallica and Megadeth. I listened to a lot of hair metal, too, like Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, Poison, etc. I pretty much steered clear of anything that would not have been considered mainstream metal or hair metal. Then one day into 1992 I heard Dream Theater's Pull Me Under and from then on I listen to all kinds of metal. My collection, though not as varied as some, ranges from the aforementioned Dream Theater and Iron Maiden to In Flames and Opeth to Silent Force and Pagan's Mind to Nevermore and Angel Dust.

Hail Slayer!! \m/
Just an average joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy time for me to remember....even if it was in the mid 80's. A friend handed me a tape with Master of Puppets on one side and Live after Death on the other...was hooked instantlyt
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee. I don't know if I can remember that far back, but here goes. Probably sometime '71 or '72. I remember buying cassette albums of Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Edgar Winter, & probably more, but I just can't remember....imagine that! Laughing
Ug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "heavy" song I heard was "Rock and Roll" (Led Zep) in a TV commercial, I asked my cousin and he introduced me to Uriah Heep and Thin Lizzy. It wasn't until I heard "Stargazer" (Rainbow) when I became a certified rock/metal head.
voodoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I remember an older cousin talking about Led Zeppelin and trying to get me to listen to them and all I could say was who the hell is this Led Zeppelin guy and what kind of name is that?
jactannehill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man...I remember being at my dad's friends house where they used to have band practice, and seeing a Best of Uriah Heep Tape laying there!!! I was maybe 9 at the time, and I had to borrow it!!! I fell in love with them and then discovered a lot more bands after that, but I really got sucked into the hair bands, but most of them were a lot better than most people think and some of their stuff holds up today!!! But for some reason Uriah Heep always stuck into my head and the song lady in Black was my favorite song at 10 years old!! Also, Animal Magnitism by the Scorpions I had too at the time, and that blew me away too!!! I knew who they were but that was the only album I had by them at the time! Holiday still hits me everytime...

(Just a Sidenote) Every time I hear Still Loving You by the Scorps, I still get goosebumps, and that is a fact, Jack!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
totembird

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must be sabbath...... I knew them from ozzy but I started liking the DIO sabbath. THen traced back to listening to all of Dio's in Rainbow, some purple and zepplin. Then I picked up the 80's metal, maiden, priest, def, queensryche, metallica, megadeth, anthrax....and the rest.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that I can remember that led me towards metal was Black Sabbath - Paranoid, The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress and Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love which I believe was around 1971 or so. Continue on a couple years with Sabbath & Zeppelin and add Frampton, Aerosmith and Pink Floyd till you get to Kiss in 1975. Now add Queen, Judas Priest and AC/DC - and finally The Scorpions, which ends the 70's and leads to Motorhead.

I could go on and on, and many very influential bands have been ommited - but that's the fast track. Didn't want to ramble on ya know. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: