HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality 2005 should be a freebie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality 2005 should be a freebie Reply with quote

Why pay twice for the same thing? CM should make the remix a bonus cd with the next album.
Metal1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused about that myself. However, this does confirm my original thought...that album was mixed by my 2 year old nephew. I'd like to hear some of those tracks without the "tin can" drum noise.

I don't think I'll buy it, I'd rather get new material from other bands. Damn, I miss the original Napster Sad
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the muddy mix, I thought it fit the material well. Nothing I hate more than a band writing real dark, depressing material...and then give it a super-slick mix to make it sound friendly. The newest Evergrey CD was a good example of that, the sound was so pretty that it just didn't provide the right environment for the lyrics to have their full impact.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JosephC"]I actually liked the muddy mix, I thought it fit the material well. Nothing I hate more than a band writing real dark, depressing material...and then give it a super-slick mix to make it sound friendly. The newest Evergrey CD was a good example of that, the sound was so pretty that it just didn't provide the right environment for the lyrics to have their full impact.[/quote]

While I get where you're coming from, I disagree in respect to EoR. The disc sounds like shit. A "dark" sounding production is one thing, but Kelly's production isn't "dark", it's incompetent. It will be interesting to see if Sneap's production will leave EoR sounding like DHiaDW, or if he'll go in another direction. I'm also curious how much difference the final mix makes.

As for the original post, you're not completely off. In what has got to be the most bizarre negotiiation technique ever, CM intentionally screwed Nevermore, and in the process, screwed the consumer. Now they're essentially admitting, "Yeah, it sounds like shit because we didn't invest enough money the first time around, to make a professional sounding CD."

Of course, I'll buy it, as Nevermore is my favorite band, and the only thing that kept EoR from being a great disc is the production.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zod-

I completely agree that CM screwed the metal fans on that release. But I was also under the impression that Nevermore didn't give the fans the best product either. Didn't they say that they were only willing to give CM 9 songs and ~40 minutes of music simply to fulfill their contract with CM? And didn't they also say that they had some songs that were clearly better than what appeared on EoR but specifically saved those for the next release with the new label?

I understand the business end of these things but it seems the fans got the screw job from both ends on this one...because if I'm not mistaken Nevermore wound up signing the new contract wtih CM so they will still be working together. It's like both sides dug in and the end result turned out to be more of the same, and in the meantime the fans got a CD that both the label and the band would probably admit was sub-standard because they were more interested in their own pi**ing matches rather than putting out a top product.

Anyway, if Nevermore really was saving the best material that means the next release should be pretty damn good.
JosephC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality 2005 should be a freebie Reply with quote

[quote="Midnight Sun"]Why pay twice for the same thing? CM should make the remix a bonus cd with the next album.[/quote]

The disc was only about 40 minutes long. CM and Nevermore should:

1. Record a couple new tracks and tack it onto the end of the regular CD. Maybe include a couple old demos or something else. Give us 4 bonus tracks, a couple of which would be actual songs that were previously unreleased (new or old recordings).

2. Make the bonus DVD that was available in early copies of EoR a standard addition in all copies of the re-issue. Also, include additional footage on that. There were no promo video's from EoR included on that DVD because they weren't filmed yet, but I believe they made at least 1 video that could be included now.

There are a lot of ways they could spice the re-issue up to make it a worth-while release for fans to buy again. But if they just issue it as a straight re-mix with no additions, I doubt if I'd buy it.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JosephC"]Didn't they say that they were only willing to give CM 9 songs and ~40 minutes of music simply to fulfill their contract with CM?[/quote]

That sounds familiar, but I don't recall.

[quote="JosephC"]And didn't they also say that they had some songs that were clearly better than what appeared on EoR but specifically saved those for the next release with the new label?[/quote]

That's not something I never heard. Doesn't mean it isn't so, I just never heard that.

[quote="JosephC"]I understand the business end of these things but it seems the fans got the screw job from both ends on this one...because if I'm not mistaken Nevermore wound up signing the new contract wtih CM so they will still be working together.[/quote]

Yep. Strangely, they're back with CM.

[quote="JosephC"]Anyway, if Nevermore really was saving the best material that means the next release should be pretty damn good.[/quote]

I expect a monster release from them regardless. Anything short of my top spot for 2005 will be a disappointment.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: