HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great bands who, unfortunately, made one too many albums
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Great bands who, unfortunately, made one too many albums Reply with quote

You can never count any band down for the count (unless they broke up for good), but there are some legendary bands who probably should have quit while they were ahead. I'm not talkiing about bad albums that were released in between good albums; I'm talking about when the band started going into a downward spiral and never really returned to their former selves. I'm not saying these bands aren't worthy of respect as it is (they're ALL legendary), but had they hung it up a little sooner, they might have retired with more dignity.

The band, and the last decent album:

[list]Rush - Signals (although the new one is pretty damn good)
Van Halen - 1984 (Sammy was okay, but they should have changed their name after Dave left)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (some decent stuff afterward, but not of this caliber)
Metallica - And Justice For All (same as above)
AC/DC - Flick Of The Switch (Angus & Malcolm's creative riffs became rarer & rarer as they churned out their next 7 albums... and counting)
Riot - Fire Down Under (This band had huge potential with Rhett on vocals)
UFO - Making Contact (God bless 'em, they've made a few great albums since Making Contact, but they never really made a true comeback)
Fastway - All Fired Up (the rest was crap -- a real shame)
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (I know... not hard rock or metal, but I'm sure many would agree with my main point)
Raven - All For One (they really ran out of steam after this one; another shame)
[/list:u]

I'm sure there are many of you who strongly disagree with my choices. Show me who & which albums you think should fit in this category.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only band I think of right now is Vandenberg. The first album was excellent, Heading For A Storm was alright (cool cover though), and Alibi sucked.
DEFFY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpions - Blackout.....after that album it has been nothing but downhill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hemphead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like bands who jumped the shark. Cool concept.

I agree 100% with the Scorps Blackout. Here's my list:

Ozzy- Bark at the Moon...after that just a few OK songs every now and then.

Kiss- Creatures of the Night... until Revenge. What's that ...10 years between good albums? And nothing to speak of since unless you like compilations.

Black Sabbath- Live Evil... C'mon... who cares after that?

Metallica- Black album

Dio- Last in Line (ironic title isn't it?)

AC/DC- Back in Black

Def Leppard- Pyromania

Twisted Sister- Under the Blade

The Rolling Stones- Tattoo You

Boston- Boston

Aerosmith- Done With Mirrors

Alice Cooper- Dada

Led Zeppelin- IV

Iron Maiden- Power Slave (this may not be the popular opinion but it's mine)

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (that's right...you read it correctly. you just might be afraid to say it out loud)

And last but not least.......

The Beatles- Revolver...oooooh my dad's gonna kill me...

Last edited by Hemphead on Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:06 am; edited 3 times in total
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I was afraid to say it, I just forgot to. Good call. Vandenberg was another good one, as was Scorps' Blackout (I can't believe I didn't think of that).

I thought "Under The Blade" and "Boston" were pretty humorous -- maybe we should start a new thread called "Bands Who Started Sucking Right After Their Debut Album".

A few more:

Shooting Star - III Wishes (watered-down big time after this gem)
April Wine - Harder... Faster (same as above)
Accept - Metal Heart
Ratt - Dancing Undercover
Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
Sugar Ray - Floored (forget about "Fly" -- their first couple albums were actually pretty heavy; what happened?)
curse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemphead: I disagree with your ozzy pick, I think "The Ultimate Sin" was a great album, much better than "Bark At the Moon. I also think Sabbaths "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" was their finest hour. They were still good but they were not at the top of their game like they were on that album. Some others might disagree but I think Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" was their last truly great album. Don't get me wrong, they still kick ass, but in my opinion no Megadeth album has come close to "Rust In Peace".

Last edited by curse on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hemphead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi curse-
Yeah SBS was a good album and maybe the last good one with Ozzy but Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules were very fine releases so I started from the live album showcasing those two.

I own the Ultimate Sin album and in retrospect you bring a good point to the table. Thanks.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hemphead"]

Black Sabbath- Live Evil... C'mon... who cares after that?

...[/quote]

I disagree. Born Again (1983), Tyr (1990) & The Eternal Idol (1987) are all superb albums.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout Mötley Crüe anything after Dr. Feelgood... and I think I'm being kind taking it up to that album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: