HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scary moments...........................
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEFFY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: scary moments........................... Reply with quote

there is no denying that "grunge", "alternative" (GAGGGHH!!!!) and even "nu-metal" took over the radio airwaves (yeah i know, i know not just them RAP and Hip Hop too) and probably were the cause of Metal/Hard Rock music to take the back seat in mainstream media.
Did you get the feeling when you were growing up right there in the 80's metal scene there were some scary moments in music that almost kicked our beloved Metal/Hard Music out of the stratosphere?????

Micheal Jackson (almost single handedly) and his dance moves scared the heck out of me back in the day as he was the topic of conversation just about anywhere and he was the "number one for this or for that"

Although not a very scary thought at the time, it did kind of send a message that the "rap" movement could filtrate just anywhere.....Ozzy with in the "was -not-was" rap singing appearance - did not go too well with me at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Myk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never concerned as much with other types of music taking the spot light away from metal/hardrock. The world is big enough to incorporate all types of music. I liked it when metal was the alternative music before the phrase was coined. My fears were the bands (or the media) that considered themselves heavy metal bringing it down. With the likes of Poison, Warrant, Firehouse and others giving the spoon fed masses something to chew on all of a sudden it was "in" to like hard music. Even if the music wasn't hard at all. These bands were more interested in getting pop hits (power ballads) then making quality music. That was my fear. Once Mtv got into it I knew there was going to be a problem. I never considered Michael/Janet Jackson, Devo, The Knack, rap or any other type of artist that wasn't heavy/hard a threat. They were just something to pull all the taste blind lemmings away from what I consider to be good music. The less spotlight the better if you ask me.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Myk. The oversaturation of cookie-cutter pop metal bands was my worst fear come true. Everyone knows that once the mainstream gets ahold of it -- the party's over.

I'm probably outnumbered on this one, but even though I still fondly remember hearing Saxon's Strong Arm Of The Law for the first time back in '82 (I was 13) and grew up just as metal started evolving, I can still appreciate a lot of what you're dismissing as 'grunge' or 'alternative'. As much as I still jones for the old-school metal, I also think bands like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, STP & Tool have great talent and riffs. It's just that all their singles got played to death 24/7. If it's a good song, it's a good song. Screw labeling.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"]I also think bands like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, STP & Tool have great talent and riffs[/quote]

In retrospect, I should've wrote "HAD great talent...", considering 3 of the 4 I listed are now-defunct. Coincidence? I suppose someone could use that as a counterpoint against me now...
Myk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mack. Labeling is for the media. If it makes you tap your foot, bang your head or shake your ass then it's good. My tastes vary. If it rocks I like it but I also like some mellow stuff too. I can find a good song by almost anyone. One type of music that I feel was a waste of time was 80's new wave. I couldn't stand that stuff- and it still makes my skin crawl. I'd listen to hours of Slaughter before that crap. Flock of Seaguls my ass. But to each his own. I was 14/15 in '82 so my faves are in the past but I will never dismiss the present.
DEFFY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do agree that labeling is for the media and there has been very much success in that approach.
Good music is good music, period.
But at a time when we were younger (we seemed to be around the same age), I thought "how can anyone not like heavy metal/hard rock?" - people must be deaf!
The hard rock and even rock scene seemed a little fragile (did you hear or remember in 70's in Cleveland Oh. a large group gather to break and burn disco records?)
During the early part of the 80's (disco was on its way out, kiss sucked - i am sure you remember that, and Zep and Deep Purple no more) it's future did not seem too bright and I fear it could all disappear. A lot of my friends from school including some family members (which shall remain nameless) switched to other music, that seemed to be popular at the time. Yeah, Flock of seagulls, adam, the new wave and break dancers seemed to take off (damn!!!, unless it only happened in my school)

As far as other music, I agree that there are "grunge" or "alternative" labeled songs and music that is really good (be careful with the alternative label though - the cranberries were or are alternative).
I am 100% sure (but I do not know who was running the show) that back in 92/93 (the year my daugther was born-93) grunge made its way into Z-rock (we did not call it "grunge") radio station (or at least here in Houston). It was just rock ( yeah STP, Screemeang Trees, Nirvana, Soundgarden, temple of the dog, pearl jam being played in the same station right along with ozzy, sabbath, megadeth, saxon, motorhead and dream theatre).
But the grunge artist/bands themselves also wanted to distance themselves from the likes of Poison, Warrant and others that just seemed to squeeze themselves into the hard rock sceene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffy, I know where you're coming from. I felt the same way about the new wave scene and had little tolerance for anything that didn't have a guitar solo. (Many years later I'm able to confess I did like The Knack's "My Sharona", Gary Numan's "Cars", and a couple others, but you'll notice that I'm writing this in parentheses...)

But I guess I didn't consider the new wave/Michael Jackson era as being "scary", because just as Duran Duran, Culture Club, REM, and Madonna were all starting out -- so were Queensryche, Motley Crue, Dio, & Def Leppard... not to mention Ozzy's solo career.

Maybe I was just the right age to pick up on the burgeoning metal scene because there's never really been a 'drought' for good hard rock/metal in my memory. If I sort my .mp3 collection by year, I can find something worthwhile in every year between 1970 and 2005. Some years are better than others, for sure, but I guess it kind of depends on people's definition of metal too. To some, anything tamer than Motorhead doesn't even qualify as metal, so it's all in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinoin, the hair-metal era was the only real scare that eventually bastardized the term "metal" -- if Britney Fox & Steel Heart can be metal, then what can't? So it's understandable why bands like Pearl Jam & Soundgarden avoided being branded in what became a meaningless category. With exception to a few bands that actually had some talent, most of the hair bands relied on costumes, choreography and ballads to make up for their lack of talent. Metal lost most of its credibility with the mainstream at this point.

Fortunately, there has been -- and will continue to be -- great head-banging rock throughout it all. You just have to dig a little.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I especially appreciated Deffy's blast from the past: Z-Rock.

They were nationally syndicated (mostly on AM, unfortunately), but I spent some time down in TX and remember Z-Rock transmitting out of Conroe on 106 FM. Their year-end Z-Rock 1000 was pretty cool. I think they pulled Z-Rock's plug in the mid-90s and replaced it with a Christian station. The irony of it all...
DEFFY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone would recognize Z-Rock somewhere here....hehe!!!
Z-rock was still on by the time I moved to San Antonio, Tx. in 97 and finally went off the air in 98 (or early 99) and by then they were announcing the new wave of metal (which I never really got to hear much - I do not know why...) sugar ray, atari teenage riot and limp bizqkit or whatever. Glad i missed that.
But yeah, I suppose you are correct. If it was in you to just stay true to the music, nothing any one else did mattered.
All in all, i was determined to continue buiding on my little collection of cassettes and records of rock and hard/heavy metal. But all of the things that were going on i guess were a little overwhelming. T.V. commercials were adding rap music, pepsi had michael jackson, movies with break dancers were popular....and there was always one crazy dude that tried to mixed things up a bit by listening to metal and trying to dance to it and also wear the red jacket and the white glove (damn!! come to think of it didn't Rudolf Schenker had a red jacket too!!!).....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: