HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coolest guitar player of the new millenia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Coolest guitar player of the new millenia? Reply with quote

Who's the new whizkid around? There were tons of guys in the 70s and 80s to pick from- still a lot of new guys in the 90s, but now I'm not sure who's the king. Loomis is finally getting a lot of recognition but his band's been around from before 2000. Who's first emerged in the last 5 years that's good?
DEFFY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talent on the guitar/hard rock/heavy metal scene is not scarce. There are plenty of players (young) coming out (personally Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho - although the choice of song covers is a bit questionable sometimes).
But by comparasion, the 70's (Van Halens), 80's (Rhoads, Malmsteens) and 90's (Wyldes, Dimebags) will never return.
Media is oversaturated with pop culture "icons", divas and one hit wonders that will make it impossible for them to notice good talent.
And even in our own "circle" or community of hard rock we are broken up (just read up on the Maiden vs. Ozzy threads).
Stick around and you will find a new young guitar player of your liking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MustaineThrash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonforce's Herman Li is pretty damn good at guitar even though their songs r a little too over the top with the whole power metal thing
MetalholiC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with above, cant think of anyone else at this point.
WASPFAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus G. is one of the best guitar players out today. His bands Mystic Prophecy, Firewind, & Formerly of Dream Evil. All kick ass. Although I think Firewind is the best of the three. Nightrage is another band he's in but they are not power metal they are death metal which is not something I get into a whole lot.

Tony
The Good Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Yngwie is King Reply with quote

Obviously, Yngwie is still the greatest talent in the guitar world. Any witness to the G3 tour with Satch, Vai, and Yngwie would confirm that fact. The trouble is, Yngwie is so good I don't believe we can talk about him in these parts.
Iron Bird

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DEFFY at this point. I believe that the majority of the media is filled with bands and pop icons that are just out there for their name. There is way more talent, way more that you don't here of, that you don't see. So its tough to ask a question like that. Its tough to ask who is the best because music is an art form, its not a sport or a race. It can't really be judged. It can really just be enjoyed.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yngwie is King Reply with quote

[quote="The Good Doctor"] The trouble is, Yngwie is so good I don't believe we can talk about him in these parts.[/quote]

What do you mean?

Where do you think you are?
Bohica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DEFFY"]Talent on the guitar/hard rock/heavy metal scene is not scarce. There are plenty of players (young) coming out (personally Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho - although the choice of song covers is a bit questionable sometimes).
But by comparasion, the 70's (Van Halens), 80's (Rhoads, Malmsteens) and 90's (Wyldes, Dimebags) will never return.
Media is oversaturated with pop culture "icons", divas and one hit wonders that will make it impossible for them to notice good talent.
And even in our own "circle" or community of hard rock we are broken up (just read up on the Maiden vs. Ozzy threads).
Stick around and you will find a new young guitar player of your liking.[/quote]

I somewhat agree with what you have to say... We were blessed with the Eddie's, the Randy's, and the Yngwie's... and to be blessed like that again seems impossible. However, I would have to disagree (if I read your statement correctly) that there won't be that again. Maybe not the caliber of the 3 names mentioned, but I am sure there are some incredible guitarists out there that haven't been discovered yet, or that we haven't heard of yet.

One guy that I am thinking of isn't rock, but is incredible. His name is Justin King (www.justinking.com). Probably unkown outside of the NW of the states... I came across one of his videos, and was blown away. Take the time to visit his site and watch some of his video's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: