HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why isn't anyone talking about Allen * Lande - The Battle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="General Zod"][quote="Jake"]I wish one of those Lux Occulta albums had come out this year, cause that was the coolest "new" band that I've heard this year.[/quote]What do they sound like?

[quote="Jake"]Primordial - the Gathering Wilderness is also pretty good.[/quote]It will be in my Top 3 for 2005.

Zod[/quote]

Lux Occulta play what is described on their website as occult prog metal. BNR metal pages had them listed as blackmetal with progmetal leanings. They've certainly got the long songs, crazy time changes, keyboard fussing, and variety to fit into the prog part of it. The band just barely alludes to black metal with the vocals and some of the grinding guitar work. The album that got me really into them is called My Guardian Anger [1999]. You seem to know how to find stuff on the web, so if you want to check out just one song then I'd recommend The Opening of Seventh Sephirah. Library on Fire is also a favorite of mine from that album. The albums directly before [Dionysos 1997] and after that album [The Mother and the Enemy 2001] are also pretty good, so I bought all their catalog. I'd recommend My Guardian Anger above the others though[ Dionysos is a little more basic black, though still good, and Mother and the Enemy has some weird industrial stuff that while being really scary sounding may turn off some fans- I think it's great, but the sound on Guardian Anger was the best].

You're the one who recommended Primordial to me. Thanks alot. I've probably listened to that cd more than anything else from 2005. I really dig Coffin Ships and especially Tragedy's Birth.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jake"]The album that got me really into them is called My Guardian Anger [1999]. You seem to know how to find stuff on the web, so if you want to check out just one song then I'd recommend The Opening of Seventh Sephirah.[/quote]Cool. I'll look for it.

[quote="Jake"]You're the one who recommended Primordial to me. Thanks alot. I've probably listened to that cd more than anything else from 2005. I really dig Coffin Ships and especially Tragedy's Birth.[/quote]Oh, cool. Glad you like it. They definitely have their own sound. And A.A. Nathega has one of the most unique/intense approaches to his vocals of anyone I've heard.

Zod
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="General Zod"][quote="Jake"]The album that got me really into them is called My Guardian Anger [1999]. You seem to know how to find stuff on the web, so if you want to check out just one song then I'd recommend The Opening of Seventh Sephirah.[/quote]Cool. I'll look for it.

[quote="Jake"]You're the one who recommended Primordial to me. Thanks alot. I've probably listened to that cd more than anything else from 2005. I really dig Coffin Ships and especially Tragedy's Birth.[/quote]Oh, cool. Glad you like it. They definitely have their own sound. And A.A. Nathega has one of the most unique/intense approaches to his vocals of anyone I've heard.

Zod[/quote]

Yeah, his vocals are kindof cool. I used to want vocalists to be more like this when I was first into death and black. I've developed a certain appreciation for black vocals, even really tortured sounding ones [like Varg's], but I dig the way that this guy has a haunting tone in addition to the harshness. He actually seems to carry a little bit of a tune and annunciates better.
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jake"]Yeah, his vocals are kindof cool. I used to want vocalists to be more like this when I was first into death and black. I've developed a certain appreciation for black vocals, even really tortured sounding ones [like Varg's], but I dig the way that this guy has a haunting tone in addition to the harshness. He actually seems to carry a little bit of a tune and annunciates better.[/quote]Agreed. At times, his harsh vocals are almost a cross between a Death/Black style, and a more traditional approach.

Zod
Lionheart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more excellent (and well deserved) comments. It seems only the people that can't stomach the lighter side of metal/melodic hard rock/aor have not liked this. I mean this is filled with catchy melodies, great singing, and production.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
Existing comments about this CD
From: TIM (2) Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:12 Translate: to Spanish | to English
This is truly a magnificent album. Everything from the great songwriting, to the massive vocal performances & killer musicianship, but especially the astonishing production job - is near perfect. It says melodic metal on the tin, but there is more than enough melody & catchy choruses on offer to attract fans of AOR & MHR too. A more melodic SAVATAGE is the best comparitor I can come up with, & it truly rivals all of their work. "Come Alive" particularly sums up this disc, a HUGE guitar riff...

From: TIM (2) Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:15 Translate: to Spanish | to English
...& pounding drums introduce this epic song, with great melodic verses before an anthemic banner-waving chorus with cascading keys really sum up this awesome disc. Massively powerful sounding, but with more melody than your average AOR album. This is quite simply the best album of any genre this year-& possibly for many a year-& is utterly essential for everyone who visits this site. Only the first 2 tracks slightly lack the killer-edge of the other tunes, but otherwise this is awesome. 9.8/10.

From: Jez Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:32 Translate: to Spanish | to English
TIM (2) comments are spot on. This is one hell of an album and one that surpasses all the build up and hype that has come it's way. Power & melody in equal measure, topped off with truly outstanding material and some of the best choruses I have heard in a long long time. Check out 'Come Alive','Truth Of Our Time', 'My Own Way', 'Where Have The Angels Gone'& 'Forgotten Ones' for proof. Album of the year - You betcha', nothing else so far has come close. Truly Outstanding

From: AOR freaky Date: October 20, 2005 at 13:25 Translate: to Spanish | to English
Indeed, I have to agree with the above comments from TIM (2) and Jez. This is melodic hardrock at it's very best, with two outstanding singers ! Great songs and a decent production make this one a must ! And if there is a battle between Lande and Allen !!! Recommended to all rock fans !

From: vandervelde Date: October 23, 2005 at 7:37 Translate: to Spanish | to English
This would be a great followup to second album from LAst Tribe( i think these songs were written by M.Karlsson intentionally for this project). Witch Dance is IMO very near to perfection album but The Battle is almost in every aspect...better. This is surely album of the year nothing can beat songs like Come Alive(in 5 best songs of 21century), Silent Rage or Where Have The Angels Gone...truly magnificent...heavy music with AOR melodies...great!!

From: hevi Date: October 24, 2005 at 7:13 Translate: to Spanish | to English
I THINK THIS IS THE ALBUM OF THE CENTURY(SO FAR).MAGNIFICIENT SONGS AND GOOD PRODUCTION.I THINK THIS ALBUM WOULD BE EVEN BETTER IF MR ALLEN HAD STAYED AT HOME.MR ALLEN HAS A OK VOICE BUT SO WEAK COMPARE TO MR LANDE.ALL THE CREDITS TO M.KARLSSON,GREAT TUNES.THANK YOU BOYS.9.5/10

From: Geoff Date: October 26, 2005 at 19:32 Translate: to Spanish | to English
No prizes for guessing that this is a great album. Whilst I'm not as excited as others and it isn't my fave of 2005, this is excellent and much more melodic than I was expecting. The massive riffs and those huge melodic choruses- what more do you want from music?! 'Wish for a miracle' is sensational and 'Where have all the angels gone' is my other fave, but every song here is a good cracking melodic hard rocker, once you get past the first 2 decent ones. Overall, great piece of melodic hard rock
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow down to Lionheart! It's great to see the Allen/Jorn album get some more positive recognition.

Earlier in the thread, the Kiske relate Palace Venome cd was mentioned. It is also great but the A/J just has more of an edge.

[quote="Lionheart"]Here's some more excellent (and well deserved) comments. It seems only the people that can't stomach the lighter side of metal/melodic hard rock/aor have not liked this. I mean this is filled with catchy melodies, great singing, and production.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
Existing comments about this CD
From: TIM (2) Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:12 Translate: to Spanish | to English
This is truly a magnificent album. Everything from the great songwriting, to the massive vocal performances & killer musicianship, but especially the astonishing production job - is near perfect. It says melodic metal on the tin, but there is more than enough melody & catchy choruses on offer to attract fans of AOR & MHR too. A more melodic SAVATAGE is the best comparitor I can come up with, & it truly rivals all of their work. "Come Alive" particularly sums up this disc, a HUGE guitar riff...

From: TIM (2) Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:15 Translate: to Spanish | to English
...& pounding drums introduce this epic song, with great melodic verses before an anthemic banner-waving chorus with cascading keys really sum up this awesome disc. Massively powerful sounding, but with more melody than your average AOR album. This is quite simply the best album of any genre this year-& possibly for many a year-& is utterly essential for everyone who visits this site. Only the first 2 tracks slightly lack the killer-edge of the other tunes, but otherwise this is awesome. 9.8/10.

From: Jez Date: October 20, 2005 at 4:32 Translate: to Spanish | to English
TIM (2) comments are spot on. This is one hell of an album and one that surpasses all the build up and hype that has come it's way. Power & melody in equal measure, topped off with truly outstanding material and some of the best choruses I have heard in a long long time. Check out 'Come Alive','Truth Of Our Time', 'My Own Way', 'Where Have The Angels Gone'& 'Forgotten Ones' for proof. Album of the year - You betcha', nothing else so far has come close. Truly Outstanding

From: AOR freaky Date: October 20, 2005 at 13:25 Translate: to Spanish | to English
Indeed, I have to agree with the above comments from TIM (2) and Jez. This is melodic hardrock at it's very best, with two outstanding singers ! Great songs and a decent production make this one a must ! And if there is a battle between Lande and Allen !!! Recommended to all rock fans !

From: vandervelde Date: October 23, 2005 at 7:37 Translate: to Spanish | to English
This would be a great followup to second album from LAst Tribe( i think these songs were written by M.Karlsson intentionally for this project). Witch Dance is IMO very near to perfection album but The Battle is almost in every aspect...better. This is surely album of the year nothing can beat songs like Come Alive(in 5 best songs of 21century), Silent Rage or Where Have The Angels Gone...truly magnificent...heavy music with AOR melodies...great!!

From: hevi Date: October 24, 2005 at 7:13 Translate: to Spanish | to English
I THINK THIS IS THE ALBUM OF THE CENTURY(SO FAR).MAGNIFICIENT SONGS AND GOOD PRODUCTION.I THINK THIS ALBUM WOULD BE EVEN BETTER IF MR ALLEN HAD STAYED AT HOME.MR ALLEN HAS A OK VOICE BUT SO WEAK COMPARE TO MR LANDE.ALL THE CREDITS TO M.KARLSSON,GREAT TUNES.THANK YOU BOYS.9.5/10

From: Geoff Date: October 26, 2005 at 19:32 Translate: to Spanish | to English
No prizes for guessing that this is a great album. Whilst I'm not as excited as others and it isn't my fave of 2005, this is excellent and much more melodic than I was expecting. The massive riffs and those huge melodic choruses- what more do you want from music?! 'Wish for a miracle' is sensational and 'Where have all the angels gone' is my other fave, but every song here is a good cracking melodic hard rocker, once you get past the first 2 decent ones. Overall, great piece of melodic hard rock
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------[/quote]
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree. The A/J is far more complex and "deeper". It needs, at leats for me, a lot more listenings to get the real taste of it. Place Vendome [PV] is far more catchy and definitly happier.
A/J has lots of strange drum things and complex riffs. PV is more straight, more accesible in a certain way.

Consider both track 5.- Ask you Anyway [A/J] vs The Setting Sun [PV]. (being maybe the more complex and heavier in PV album).

PV is far more direct straight catchy melodies, A/J needs a different approach. A more seroius one, if the term is correct. A deeper one.
I have toadmit that I haven't give proper listenings to A/J record...but it is because I put PV and I listen to Place Vendome and that's it. Hehehe. I'm not much of AOR guy but I just like those tunes. Smile

I see A/J a deeper more complex album that requires, maybe, a more exquisite taste. It needs time. It is heavier also. Darker. Darker for now, because I'm pretty sure that after proper listenings it begins to shine: Consider this for "Silent Rage".

Smile

That's for now. Kisses for you all. hehehe.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I finally took my time and gave a proper listening to this record.

I wanna make it shorter this time: The album really begins in track 5. The 4 first songs totally unrecordable. Lousy songs , and repetitive riffs. But since song 5 till the ned, now we are talking and the album is really good. Ah! the last one can also be discarded. The first 4 solos are totally a wate of talent. they guide you nowhere. They have no feeling at all. But I don't know what happenes that the band begins to kick ass since song number 5. until the number...11

Technically the album is a 10 totally. The guys are excellent mustians nothing to say about that, the songs are weell-made but very "plastic" the first 4 .-

As I said this record really begins in Fifth Track Come Alive and ends up in Track 11 Universe of Light. Being those tracks extremely good for my personal taste. The solos finally got feelings and lead you in a good way. But 7 songs out of 12...mmm....

Why bands malke records with so many tracks? Don't they remember the good old 8 tracks tapes? If this album have let's say...9 songs..it would kick ass for sure. But it as those looousy slow songs, the song # 3 is reallt painful (except for the chorus, that is very good) but the song is damn repetitive and lousy. In track 7 the bass is also lousy, but because the song is great it doesn't matter.

Well, my favorite song is 9: Silent Rage. followed by numer 7 On My Way and the lousy Bass.

A Good album. But I cannot see it as the best of the year considering other records I have heard. It was far less complex from what I have heard.

Bye guys, be easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: