HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Miss the 80's.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsalt1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Swidman"]Hey Vangelis, check this one out. I was almost 18 in the late spring of 1984 when me and two of my buds went to Kalamazoo, Michigan to see the American Rock Festival.

Here's the lineup from almost 22 years ago:

Accept
RATT
Night Ranger
Motley Crue
Quiet Riot (?)
Ozzy
Triumph (headliner)

This show was an awesome display of the metal music scene at the time.

After the show we stayed at a hotel near the venue. It happened to be the same hotel RATT was staying in and we saw Percy making moves on a chick in the stairwell. In the morning we saw Robin Croucier (bass for RATT) on the elevator drinking a Heineken. I remember him being short, but polite.

That was the best show I had ever witnessed. Of course I saw a few others after that, but that was my first festival.[/quote]

I was at that show, too! My biggest memory is of Ozzy dumping buckets of water on all of us up in the front because it was HOT and we were PACKED in like sardines but what a great show it was. I'm quite sure Quiet Riot wasn't on the list, though. With that many bands and it being so long ago some of my memories of it have become clouded, too. I was REALLY getting into Accept at the time of the show and I about shat myself when they played Fast As A Shark, it was the highlight of the day for me.
Nice memory!
Swidman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sam, we spent most of the day walking up and down the ski slope and around the rest of the crowd. It was a very hot day and I remember being very grimey and thirsty most of the late afternoon and into the evening.

Oh, and lots of hot looking metal chicks. Twisted Evil
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say that 1983 was metal's most magical year. You had so many great debuts that year as well as classics from established bands.

But you can't live in the past either. In fact, I think that in some ways, right now is the best time for metal if for no other reason than the internet. It's so much easier to buy music and find out about bands.

And while the 80's had a lot of great music, it also had its share of garbage. For every Iron Maiden, there were ten Pretty Boy Floyds.

The scowling die-hards of today complain about teen pop, nu-metal, and rap music. Back then they complained about dance music, hair bands, AOR, new wave, and synth rock.

There's lots of great metal being made in this decade, in any style. Christ, 2005 was an awesome year. The diversity is incredible.

Even in my fave year, '83(and this is in retrospect. I was only 9 and hadn't gotten into metal yet), the top-selling metal band was Quiet Riot(ugh!). The lightest stuff is usually what floats to the top.
ShieldAxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="samsalt1"][quote="Rockangel"]I miss the way the music was a binding force among those of us who listened to metal. I miss having few if any genres. I’m tired of metal HAVING to be in some sub category. Like it can’t just be heavy metal to so many now. It has to be prog metal, black metal, doom metal, dark metal, goth metal, classic metal, Stoner metal, NWOBHM, speed, thrash and on and on…till makes me want to shoot someone.

I miss those days when you could be just metal and the person you were talking to just assumed you mean music that would encompass everything above. I think we got along better.[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself, and I have tried. In the 80`s, if you liked metal, you LIKED METAL. It's so pathetic to see these so called metalheads p*ssing all over each other about "flower metal" and all that crap. It used to be a clique. Now it's just a bunch of fragmented groups of haters.....[/quote]

Na I disagree. In the 80s, any band who didn't meet a certain level of heaviness was a 'poser'.
Vangelis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course i would like that... Sad anyway, the only older band from that period i had heard live is Europe. I saw them last year in Budapest, Hungary and it was awesome...the guys rocked. We couldn't wait for The Final Countdown, and then the encore came....famous key riff and everyone was in trance Smile Anyway i am glad you have met RATT and all the other guys. Cheers! Smile
DEFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up during the 80's, I definetely agree that it was a very good decade for hard rock/metal music.
I am glad that we did not have media's, and even bands, pressure to "tag" music with their endless list of generes as they do now.
If it was rock, metal, hard rock or prog that is what it was and it was the end of it, JUST ROCK. I remember we could go from Queen to Zepp to Deep Puprple to Wishbone Ash to Sabbath to Molly Hatchet and we were all cool. Definetely not everyone liked every band and there were disagreements as to who was more prog or heavy, but in the end a lot of the attitude was "rock rules" over any thing else.

Now the 80's had their share of crap as well, and I think that it is found in any other decade. In the 80's we had to deal with break dancers, Miami Vice, New Wavers, Michael Jackson. There was also some residual disco/dance/rnb/funk music stuff that evolved (IMO) into what we know as rap or hip hop or whatever they call it now. And of course we had some horrible rock music as well. (no need to name names [ok just one, Poison!] as we know who they are and we will all disagree as to who was into rock music and who was not and who was a one hit wonder and who was not so on and so on...)

Over all the 80's were very friendly to rock music. Growing up in Texas and having the option to listen to up to 2 (sometimes more than just 2) ROCK radio stations in any of the major metro cities was great.
By comparasion, these days have left rock out in the cold. Just last year HOUSTON went without a rock station for nearly 6 months (oh! and please the alternative radio station with endless Lenny Krevitz/Cold and classic rock station with its endless freebird song do not count) The only rock radio station sadly changed format to the equivalent of "rap" , just in spanish. (SAD, VERY SAD!!! Crying or Very sad )
And the replacement rock station is not doing that great of a job either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WiredWierdoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you saw Accept live??? I envy you
samsalt1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WiredWierdoe"]you saw Accept live??? I envy you[/quote]
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost saw Accept in Japan last year as well as Loudness in Korea. Miss opportunities Crying or Very sad

[quote="WiredWierdoe"]you saw Accept live??? I envy you[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: