HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Judas Priest . . . Standing the Test of Time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Judas Priest . . . Standing the Test of Time. Reply with quote

I am curious if anyone has seen [i]Rising in The East[/i], the live show from Japan?

I was able to catch some of it on VH1 Classic and I have to say I was pretty much blown away.

Let me start by saying I'm mostly Old school when it comes to metal, both in age and types of metal I like. It was almost 20 years ago (summer of '86') when I first Saw the [b]Priest[/b] on the [i]Turbo[/i] tour. If you look at the images from the video [b]Heavy Metal Parking Lot[/b] taken from that tour, you can get a pretty decent vision of what it was like back then, no matter how rediculous it looks today.

Anyway, since then I have seen them on the [i]Ram it Down[/i] tour, the [i]Painkiller[/i] tour and the [i]Demolition[/i] tour (with Ripper).

Back in the 80's everything was "awesome" no matter how much it may have actually sucked. Sometimes even if it were crappy, you had to tell your friends how great it was. I've looked back at [i]Priest . . . Live[/i] (the [i]Turbo[/i] tour) and the show still is as good as it was when I was there. Now, seeing them 20 years later I realize that these guys are truly masters of their domain. People may not like their sound or not like them for other reasons, but the truth is they have made an excellent career in music and this latest concert shows that they have stood the test of time. The sound mix is incredible, the instrumets are tight and Halford's vocals are amazing as always. Sure age, is starting to have an affect on his range, but what does one expect from someone who has been testing his vocal abilities to the limit for over 3 decades. I was happy to see that there wasn't much of the lame flashing and clipping away of the band as they performed. The MTV strobe light effect that many concert videos have today is horrible. Such effects add zero to the show and content. The only thing that I missed was the pyro-technics that the band usually had. I'm not sure if that was a Budakan thing (the hall not allowing them), or if the band just doesn't use them anymore.

I am curious as to how some of you younger metal fans feel about this band and this concert in particular?
samsalt1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not a younger metal fan, as a matter of fact, I've seen Priest 5 times starting with the Screaming for Vengeance Tour in 83 but I do have opinions on the latest Priest DVD...

1. They do still sound very good. Halford certainly has lost something but he's still very worth seeing..
2. The setlist just sucks...i'm sorry...just tired of the same old songs all the time and why, oh why, would you play I'm a Rocker with the amazing back catalog of songs Priest has and HOW do you not play anything off of Defenders of the Faith?? Maybe Halfords voice just can't take some of the material but he still handles Victim of Changes so I guess that theory is out the window...
3. Priest's influence on metal bands continues to be strong and along with Sabbath have had the biggest overall influence IMO....Just listen to Cage or even Gamma Ray....Priest Priest Priest.
4. They REALLY need to do a tour with different songs....lets hear some material from Hell Bent for Leather, Stained Class, British Steel (deep cuts like Steeler, Rapid Fire...) That would be a career capper for me..
5. No matter what happens from here on out, they will always be one of the greatest, longest lasting metal bands of all time.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: