HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bands from the 70s, making it big in the 80s!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krokus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Bands from the 70s, making it big in the 80s!!!!! Reply with quote

Yeahh, many bands released one or a couple of albums in the 70s but didnt become world famous till the 80s. Some exemples are:
LEGS DIAMOND. A couple of albums in the 70s but till their come-back album OUT ON BAIL from 84 they didnt got famous.
HELIX released one album back in the 70s but till NO REST FOR THE WICKED from 83 they didnt start selling albums.
Same with QUIET RIOT, two albums in the 70s but till METAL HEALTH they didnt start selling millons of albums.
Y&T also released two albums in the 70s but till EARTHSHAKER, BLACK TIGER and MEAN STREAK nobody knew about the band realy.
TKO is an other exemple. One album in 79 but till their come back album in 1984 (IN YOUR FAVE) they didnt become well know outside their city.
SCORPIONS, KROKUS or TRIUMPH could be also fine exemples. THE SCORPIONS were very big in Germany and Japan in the 70s but just a underground band in the USA till the 80s.
Do you know about some more bands????
Gunslinger808

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't forget Ozzie, granted he was big in the 70s with Sabbath but he did quite well once he went off on his own.
Heck, there are quite a few artist that went that route.
Frampton, Hagar, Clapton, Walsh, (there's a pattern there) just to name a few.
vinyltim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gunslinger808"]Can't forget Ozzie, granted he was big in the 70s with Sabbath but he did quite well once he went off on his own.
Heck, there are quite a few artist that went that route.
Frampton, Hagar, Clapton, Walsh, (there's a pattern there) just to name a few.[/quote]

Sorry,but Clapton has always been huge and just the opposite happened to Frampton and Walsh.....they peaked in the 70's(Humble Pie and Live album for Frampton and great solo,James Gang and Eagles for Walsh)and tanked in the 80's.

Sammy Hagar, on the other hand,did become more famous in the 80's,especially after he joined VH.Personally,I think the first album he made with Montrose was the best music he ever made.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this topic is about relatively unknown (in the US) 70s bands who made it big in the 80s, then my picks are:

[list]Judas Priest - The obvious choice. Their first 6 albums went virtually unnoticed by mainstream radio, but when British Steel hit the shelves in 1980, it was a major turning point in their career.

April Wine - They had a couple hits in the 70s, but most people hadn't heard of them 'til Nature Of The Beast came out in 1981.

Lita Ford/Joan Jett - Ex-Runaways redefined themselves in the 80s

Whitesnake - Another band who churned out several records in the '70s but didn't break the charts until Slide It In was released in 1984
[/list:u]
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legs Diamond never did make it big.

Joe Walsh was well known in the 70's from the James Gang to his hits "Rocky Mountain Way" & "Life Been Good to Me" from his solo career.

Judas Priest was fairly well known in the 70's, but "British Steel" is where the really broke.

Same goes for the Scorps, but yes , they were more popular in the 80's.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jim, but Judas Priest were not fairly well-known in the 70s. Sure, they sold a few records back then, but not nearly enough to negate my statement. How many JP articles were published in the 70s? How many pre-British Steel songs do you hear on the radio? I don't know anyone who owned a JP album in the 70s. Maybe you did, but how many others?

To be fair, they obviously did have a following, otherwise Columbia would've dropped their contract long before British Steel was recorded. But in the big picture they were nobodys until 1980. That was my only point.
krokus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jim McCormick"]Legs Diamond never did make it big.

Joe Walsh was well known in the 70's from the James Gang to his hits "Rocky Mountain Way" & "Life Been Good to Me" from his solo career.

Judas Priest was fairly well known in the 70's, but "British Steel" is where the really broke.

Same goes for the Scorps, but yes , they were more popular in the 80's.[/quote]

LEGS DIAMOND were big in my house Very Happy i love that band so much.
Myk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could argue Van Halen fits this description.

J. Geils Band

With one decade compared to the other Aerosmith became even bigger in the 80's.

Twisted Sister
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]J. Geils Band
[/quote]

Good call, Myk. Not exactly HardRadio material, but a great band just the same.

Twisted Sister was a good pick too. Most people don't realize they formed way back in '72.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: