HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bands from the 70s, making it big in the 80s!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Jim, my bad. I shouldn't have doubted your claim. And while I'm at it, my using the term 'relatively unknown' was probably inaccurate. They [u]were[/u] known, but not nearly to the level they hit in the '80s.

So, I'm sticking to my statement that they were a 70s band who hit it big in the 80s, which I believe you agreed with. But for me to question your integrity just to make a point was out of line, and for that -- I apologize.

In fact, now I'm jealous for not being exposed to the same radio stations you were.

Life does go on, indeed. It's time to retire this thread, unless someone else has any contributions that we haven't heard yet.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"]Alright Jim, my bad. I shouldn't have doubted your claim. And while I'm at it, my using the term 'relatively unknown' was probably inaccurate. They [u]were[/u] known, but not nearly to the level they hit in the '80s.

So, I'm sticking to my statement that they were a 70s band who hit it big in the 80s, which I believe you agreed with. But for me to question your integrity just to make a point was out of line, and for that -- I apologize.

In fact, now I'm jealous for not being exposed to the same radio stations you were.

Life does go on, indeed. It's time to retire this thread, unless someone else has any contributions that we haven't heard yet.[/quote]

No problem! Very Happy
Akirasolo57

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i do own all preist and scorps albums from the 70`s, i grew up in san diego area and rarely did i hear them on radio back then unless it was a los angeles station that played there weekly import show along with the scorps. those 2 bands do fit the thread though. Very Happy
The Dorf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, there's another metal remake that's a favorite of mine. Trouble did a great, great version of the Monkees' "Porpoise Song" on their last disc.
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime I think you Americans gets a little "home-blind" I' ve read the topics and replys regarding Judas Priest. They were really big in Europe even before 80´s British Steele. They sold a lot of records. Stained and Hell bent were big sucess records. But it all exploded with B.S and then the avalanch effect with NWBHM.

L&R from Sweden
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kilminster wrote:

[quote]Sometime I think you Americans gets a little "home-blind" I' ve read the topics and replys regarding Judas Priest. They were really big in Europe even before 80´s British Steele. They sold a lot of records. Stained and Hell bent were big sucess records. But it all exploded with B.S and then the avalanch effect with NWBHM.
[/quote]

That may be true, but it should be noted that a vast majority of the posts are from the US, so it should come as no surprise that most of us share the same perspective. While it may seem arrogant to say that a band hasn't "made it" until they hit it big in the States, the fact of the matter is that many bands around the world aspire to be successful in America (Saxon has lamented the fact that they never broke into the American charts, as have many others).

That's not to say we're more important than anyone else, but we're a huge market that everyone wants to tap into.

Getting back to your point about JP, I think we're still in agreement that they [u]really[/u] broke through in the 80s -- despite how popular they might have already been elsewhere.
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all agree about J.P. They "made it big"in early 80's Razz As did The Scorpions.

And you really naild it regarding the attitude about bands hasn't made it until they are big in the US and A.

it's really interesting topic this about music in the 70's and the difficult adjustment to the new music climate that sprung up in the next decade.

The last thing about hits in US and Europe (Asia) How come that Thin Lizzy never really made it in USA???
They were HUGE in Europe! And how many metal artist doesn't mension Lizzy as big influence??
Just curious..
krokus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mr Kilmister"]I think we all agree about J.P. They "made it big"in early 80's Razz As did The Scorpions.

And you really naild it regarding the attitude about bands hasn't made it until they are big in the US and A.

it's really interesting topic this about music in the 70's and the difficult adjustment to the new music climate that sprung up in the next decade.

The last thing about hits in US and Europe (Asia) How come that Thin Lizzy never really made it in USA???
They were HUGE in Europe! And how many metal artist doesn't mension Lizzy as big influence??
Just curious..[/quote]

I dont know why THIN LIZZY didnt made in the USA but i can tell you that one of the best cover songs ever done by a THIN LIZZY song is done by a band named SOUND BARRIER and they were from the USA, on their lp SPEED OF LIGHT from 1986. The song HOLLYWOOD. What a great cover song and to be honest, all that album is great US METAL.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kilminster wrote:

[quote]The last thing about hits in US and Europe (Asia) How come that Thin Lizzy never really made it in USA???
Just curious..[/quote]

I'm not sure why Thin Lizzy didn't have a bigger following in the US. Shortly after they enjoyed the success of Jailbreak, arena rock bands like Styx, Journey, Foreigner & Boston started dominating the airwaves, and I guess Thin Lizzy didn't fit into that mold. They still sold a lot of records in the States, but they didn't get the airplay they deserved.

The same goes for UFO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: