HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that I'm checkin' in regularly....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Oddioguy! I see you're a real tech wizard, I have a question for you. I fancy myself a decent rhythm guitarist and have recently purchased a Marshall amp. I have the house, wife, kids, etc. so I'm on a limited budget but for me this was an exciting purchase. I've always wanted a Marshall. I bought the MG250 DFX model. My question is how might you go about setting the controls (knobs) to get that hard-edged nu-metal guitar sound. I also have a multi-effect Zoom pedal, roughly about sixty effects on one pedal. I can get the sound pretty heavy but not quite the Black Label Society, Nightwish, Disturbed type of sound. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Smile Many thanks.
oddioguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Coop"]Good day Oddioguy! I see you're a real tech wizard, I have a question for you. I fancy myself a decent rhythm guitarist and have recently purchased a Marshall amp. I have the house, wife, kids, etc. so I'm on a limited budget but for me this was an exciting purchase. I've always wanted a Marshall. I bought the MG250 DFX model. My question is how might you go about setting the controls (knobs) to get that hard-edged nu-metal guitar sound. I also have a multi-effect Zoom pedal, roughly about sixty effects on one pedal. I can get the sound pretty heavy but not quite the Black Label Society, Nightwish, Disturbed type of sound. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Smile Many thanks.[/quote]
Hard question to answer...virtually impossible to merely say "Oh right, set your bass to 10, mid to 3"... etc etc.
You have to keep in mind that the recorded tones you're hearing are laboured over for hours and sometimes days, with engineers tweaking EQ, adding all sorts of effects, and there is no substitute for the thrum of a 4x12 cabinet driven hard!
Typically those guitar tracks are at least doubled if not layered even deeper. There are many tricks used to get those sounds, most of which are impossible to replicate live....I'm afraid "close" may be the best you can hope for.
Hope this helps, and if anybody wants to add their own opinions, please feel free....
The Coop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddioguy your feedback makes perfect sense. I don't know why I hadn't considered the layering, EQs and engineers for the finished sound. I appreciate the educated point of view you've offered. This may help me from stopping my incessant fiddling with the dials and finally accept and be satisfied with the sounds produced with my amp, pedal and playing. Although, if it's no trouble, for argument's sake, where might you set your controls if you were going for the same sound on a Marshall solid-state amp. Thanks in advance and cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: