HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Video Style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockangel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Favorite Video Style? Reply with quote

OK with the relaunch of Hardvideo I was just curious. From what I have seen and can recall there are three basic kinds of videos.

The live kind. Which basically just show the bands playing the song live.

Band only. Pretty much like the live video but with the band playing in an unconventional location often times with special effects added.

And lastly the "story" video. Which can include elements of the above two but pretty much run like a mini movie with a plot and such.

I think these pretty much cover them. Any video can be squeezed into one of these categories. Which do you like best?
Metla_NZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On stage.

With chicks.

Ok, any format, with Chicks.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add a fourth category: videos with no footage of the band whatsoever.

Usually they are animated shorts set to music (eg. Pantera's 'Planet Caravan', Pearl Jam's 'Do The Evolution', any Tool or Gorillaz video)

There aren't too many of them, but most of the ones I've seen are pretty cool -- even if the song isn't.
Myk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate most metal videos especially ones that are story based. They make the band look ridiculous (JP videos come to mind). I'd rather see them up on stage perfoming live. Come to think of it I hate almost all videos all together.

TOOL videos are cool. All videos should be that way.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myk, I'm in total agreement. One particular disturbing video image that I'll never forget is seeing Rob Halford trying to pump iron in the Hot Rockin' video. He looks pathetic.

As a teen in the early/mid 80s, I thought metal videos were the coolest thing around. But it never bothered me knowing that virtually all of them were lip-sync performances by band members just going through the motions.

I guess rock videos require suspended logic just like movies do -- cars don't normally flip over and explode when hitting a group of trashcans on the sidewalk, but we accept it when it happens in the movies. Unfortunately, I have a much harder time suspending my logic when watching videos. That's why I prefer either live performances or videos without the band in them at all.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all kind of videos.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a second thought, what I don't like in the videos is when they move like the beatles did in their early years. You know...the smoking, the guitar, moving the head....like a robot. Yeah, I don't like when bands imitate that. That's pretty dumb.
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the story type.

As chessey as it sounds, I used to love the old videos from [b]Savatage[/b] like [i]Hall of the Mountain King[/i]. Kind of a goofy, epic, fantasy thing. I'm sure most of these videos have not stood the test of time though. I was actually watching VH1 with my wife a few weeks back and [b]Dio's[/b], [i]The Last in Line[/i] came on. I was so psyched when it started and I was telling my wife how awesome this video is. As I was watching it, I realized how un-awesome it was, and actually how quite lame it was. Definitely a sad experience indeed.

When I was in high school and college I also used to love any video with hot girls in them - kind of a coming of age thing.

The live videos are usually quite lame. This is not to say that full concert videos are lame, some are great like, [b]Judas Priest[/b], [i]Priest. . . Live[/i], from the Turbo tour, and almost anything from [b]Iron Maiden[/b]
Panxter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse makes some pretty cool vid's i think... (i know that muse isnt that "hardcore", but i like them... Their videos differ a lot to the "normal video"... they ude a lot of "colortwisting" and effects wich makes the vids look SO amazing and cool Twisted Evil
check:
[url]http://www.microcuts.net/uk/multimedia[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: