HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time magazines Top 10 Electric Guitarists?? What a joke!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Time magazines Top 10 Electric Guitarists?? What a joke!! Reply with quote

I just read todays (8/21/09) Hard News, and had to LOL because of Time's selection of their top 10.

Let me start by saying that they have as much credibility in the music world as Rolling Stone magazine does.

Hey TIME... stick with what you may know... World events.

Let's look at their list...

1) Jimi - Basically, once the Woodstock generation dies off, he will drop. He basically had feedback. Remember, he came out of the generation that thought Janis Joplin could sing!!

2) Slash - Ummm.. not even. Just because he had an asshat for a lead singer?? I think quite a few guitarists/bands had to deal with the ego's of lead singers.

3) B.B. King - Ok.. he did help get Rock going... but.. was he a great guitarist?? Maybe in the top 50!! But not #3.

4) Keith Richards - Did longevity get him this high up?? Played some nice chords.

5) Eric Clapton - Yea... it's about right, maybe a little high.

6) Jimmy Page - Innovator. Showed us what a Les Paul could do.

7) Chuck Berry - Not even. Just because he had a chicken walk??

Cool Les Paul - He should probably be higher. Not only for his inventions, but at 94 years old, he was whooping the socks off of Dragonforce!!

9) Malmsteen - He should probably be higher as well. He brought pick sweeping to the forefront. He brought out what Richie Blackmore had been trying for decades... blending classical with distortion.

10) Prince - Umm... ok.. he had some nice looking valets. His solo at the end of Let's Go Crazy is really good. Good song writer... But really...

Let's see who Time left out...

Gary Moore - He can put every guitar trick into 1 song, and not overkill the song.

Eddie Van Halen - I could say 1 word "Eruption" and not have to say anything else... but he has done so much more... volume swells, mix those with delay and you have Cathedral. Tap harmonics. neck slapping. Dive bombing.

Randy Rhoads - If any of you knew how he recorded in the studio, you'd know the genius that he was.

Satriani/Vai - Even though different styles, they both know how to get sounds out of their guitars that seem impossible.

George Lynch - People are still trying to figure out some of the weird chords he comes up with.

I could name more... but work calls!!
Swidman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bunch of crap stirrers in the toilet of life.

These types of lists are just plain dumb.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Les Paul's early recordings - his solo stuff or with Mary Ford. It's not rock n roll, but you'll agree that he is the original guitar hero, God rest his (and Mary's) soul.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has a different favorite, but Slash has got to be one of the most overrated guitarists of all time. I mean if you take any other guy from that list for instance [except for maybe Prince] they were an innovator- a guy before their time, someone who paved the way for future generations of rock 'n' roll. Slash didn't do anything new. Slash was good at what he did, but he wasn't miles ahead of everyone talent-wise either.

Think of all the other lead guitarists in rock 'n' roll bands: Michael Schenker, Joe Perry, Ulrich Roth, Steve Vai, Buck Dharma Roeser, Eddie Van Halen, Gary Moore, John Sykes, Vinnie Moore. Even ignoring those guys influence on the scene, they had more chops than Slash. Yet only Van Halen and Perry are consistently given recognition. This leads me to believe that Slash is consistently chosen because of his image as much as anything- yeah that and his band was/is huge. Because he just doesn't have it next to those guys I listed above, and they aren't on the lists. We're talking about fairly accessible rock 'n' roll music here too- not thrash or death metal- bands like Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, UFO, Scorpions, BOC, Aerosmith, DLR- you get the drill. People don't know their shit.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides some good names put already by posters before me, some more fuel for the fire:

Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
Tony MacAlpine
Marty Friedman
Tommy Vitterli (Tommy T. Baron)
Walter Giardino

etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: