HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uriah Heep - Forgotten Heroes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Uriah Heep - Forgotten Heroes? Reply with quote

I've been playing old and new Heep constantly these days. Totally love their new release 'Into The Wild'. Every track's a winner.

Our national music videos channel 'Much Music' has been airing a new Sam Dunn metal documentary titled 'Evolution'. It's a series airing over 7-8 weeks, one hour episodes chronicling the rise and roots of heavy metal. Interesting series, but pretty old news at the same time. Anyway, I've noticed a glaring omission (so far) in this metal history. The absence of Uriah Heep as pioneers with staying power. Apparently, somewhat to my surprise, they've sold over 30 million albums. Big number. Not surprised due to their talent which is huge, but because I never hear mention of Heep when people are referencing great heavy metal / hard rock groups.

I'd just like to give credit due to a great band I've listened to since I was 7 or 8 years old.

I'd like to hear others' opinions on this pillar of hard rock / metal 'Uriah Heep'.

Cheers.
Swidman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, two nights ago on XM's Boneyard I heard Easy Living by the Heep. That song just rocks.

As for the Metal Evolution show, most of it is material I've seen before either from Sam's other metal documentary, or just old footage. But I have to believe there is a ton of film left on the floor due to trying to cram the whole thing into an 11 part documentary. So when this thing eventually goes to DVD, you can just about put a whole lotta money down on a ton of bonus footage and interviews not in the televised show.

Sorry to high jack your thread anymore about the Metal Evolution show, but I've actually been able to get my wife (who loves hard rock and some metal) and my 14 year old daughter to watch the first couple of episodes. Getting my daughter to see how I came to love this genre of music is important to show her how things evolve. Yes, she like her top 40 dance pop, but for nearly 15 years she had to put up with her old man's taste in music. One thing that was great about the first two episodes was the origins of the sound. She plays violin, so when they were showing Black Sabbath playing jazzy rythms and Yngwie playing classical, and Bruce Dickinson talking about opera and Rob Halford discussing musical stage shows, she started to see where all of this metal music is derived. It's not just screaming and distorted instruments.

BTW, here's the show schedule from VH1 Classic:
* Nov 11: Pre Metal
* Nov 19: Early Metal US
* Dec 3: Early Metal UK
* Dec 10: New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
* Dec 17: Glam
* Dec 31: Thrash
* Jan 7: Grunge
* Jan 14: Nu Metal
* Jan 21: Shock Rock
* Jan 28: Power Metal
* Feb 4: Progressive Metal

As for Uriah Heep not being mentioned, they were/are very influential and not overlooked by those who were coming up musically during the early 70's.
The Coop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swidman,

Thanks for the details and schedule breakdown for the 'Metal Evolution' series. Looks like our music networks are airing at basically the same time. I'll be watching the NWOBHM special this Friday night. Sometimes I feel like an old fart, so it's cool to hear about other Metal Dads educating their kids on the world's best music genre. BTW, my oldest is a teenage daughter too, she's just turned 15. Some of her music taste is questionable, but when you get down to it, she's a chip off the old block. She came with me, my wife and my youngest daughter (8 years old) to the Alice Cooper show this past May in Sudbury. This reminds me of an old episode of The Simpsons. Homer was asked what was for him one of the merits of parenthood. He responded, 'You get to teach your kids what to like and what to hate.' Works for me. Anyway, in this instance, it's nice to hear about another Uriah Heep fan understanding their talent and legacy in the 'Metal Evolution'.

Cheers Swidman.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uriah Heep is one of the basic rock bands from the 70's that [b]must[/b] be talked about along with Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, and the huge wave of prog bands hailing from England: Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Camel, Genesis, Gentile Giant and more.

The debut album is not very solid but the amazing 'Salisbury' that closes the second album is a staple of progressive 70's sound. I think the triad "Look At Yourself", "Demons & Wizards" and "The Magician's Birthday" represent the stronghold of the band.

Been told that "Wonderworld", "Return To Fantasy" and "High And Mighty" are also good to check as they still have the David Byron/Ken Hensley/Mick Box triad, but not to expect the magic of the previous ones.
Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an excellent band, which I've been fortunate enough to have seen live a couple of times in recent years. I've heard songs from the latest album... really top notch!! Long live Uriah Heep!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: