HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K.K. Downing vs. Paul Quinn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 3:31 pm    Post subject: K.K. Downing vs. Paul Quinn Reply with quote

Nitro, I would recommend you to listen to Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Denim And Leather, The Eagle Has Landed (live, UK Top 5) and Power And The Glory. They are all very good, very Saxon, and a part of Saxon's glory days. Also, they are all pre-Crusader. Having said this, don't think I dislike Crusader. Crusader is a great album, especially the title song, but it hasn't got that same heavyness and power of the previous albums. Listen to these first, and if you like them, listen to their first album, just called Saxon. It's from -79, but here the music is more like high energy, heavy rock, giving you insight of Saxon's early days.
Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 3:47 pm    Post subject: K.K. Downing vs. Paul Quinn Reply with quote

Anamal, great story!! When reading this, I wish I had been there too.
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 8:07 pm    Post subject: K.K. Downing vs. Paul Quinn Reply with quote

I think KK is the one in Priest who does all the licks at the end of the lines. his solos might not be quite as fantastic compared to glenn's but hes pretty good still. i also get the impression that glenn writes the musical themes and kk writes the riffs which means hes come up with some pretty cool stuff, sentinel for instance which is just one of the grooviest things ive ever heard.

I dont know Paul Quinn's exact place in saxon(although yes i do know he is the guitarist i just dont know what stuff he plays). from saxon i have wheels of steel, denim and leather and solid ball of rock all of which are good. Wheels of steel is classic and songs like 747 are definately an indication that saxon can rock and that the guitar is pretty good.

I think KK is maybe a little better than Paul Quinn. For one thing i think Saxon although a good band, repeats itself more often than priest and the songs sound a little more the same most of the time.

I think as a total band though saxon might be more talented in some other ways. The bassist for saxon seems to play cooler things than Ian Hill from priest ever plays.

I also feel like Saxon jams more while priest rocks more. To explain, Jamming to me is playing with a group and mixing the sounds of all the instruments together to sound cool and when played like this its really cool. Im not suggesting that bands that dont do this are out of tempo, just that some bands dont seem as together in sound. Priest, and most powermetal bands have speed. they rock more than almost anything thrash is included here too, but they dont play as a group kind of effort. Guitars and vocals totally dominate. I dont know if anyone understands what im saying but this post is too long now so ill leave it at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: