HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The man with the Golden Otter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 7:25 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

Recently Kerrang Magazine named Black Sabbath band of the Millenium. I was wonder what your thoughts on this would be. I was thinking more along the lines of Maiden or Metallica. Black Sabbath just seems like a case of timing to me.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:51 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I would agree with Black Sabbath. It seems pretty logical. I can't really think of any band that had the sweeping influence they had. Also, Sabbath broke down a lot of barriers. No one was doing what they did before them (ok, no one start name dropping obscurities). Maiden, Metallica and virtually every other heavy metal band out there had the luxury of following Sabbath.

Keep in mind, this is not a question of who your favorite band is. (Please, for the love of god don't anyone mention Megadeth for band of the millenium.) I'd count myself a bigger Maiden and Metallica fan than a Sabbath fan. But, I'm not sure any band has done more for the genre than Sabbath.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 2:53 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

No disrespect for Sabbath. However, after 2 lead singers they should have called it quits. I refer to it as their lost period.
Then again I don't particularly like Maiden or Metallica on worship level either.
Heather

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 3:44 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

How are they deciding? Album sales, longevity, ticket sales? Any particular criteria? How about Deep Purple or Aerosmith ? I know many don't like what Aerosmith is currently doing but they have done alot in their career.

[img]http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/kildare/19/donmacd.gif[/img]
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 4:27 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I haven't read the article, but I've got to believe that they were looking at a band's over-all impact and importance. Surely no one is saying that Black Sabbath as it exists today is the greatest band ever (nor for that matter the Dio, Martin, Gillan, Hughes, etc, line-ups) (all of which I love, incidentaly). Just like no one would make that claim for Aerosmith. Look at the original Ozzy period for the bands value.

Aerosmith isn't a bad choice, but IMHO their importance was not as great. They influenced a lot of the LA bands, but that's about it. Everyone was influenced in some respect by Sabbath.
Not Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 4:27 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with Black Sabbath as the band of the millenium. These guys are the forefathers of metal. Everyone else IMO has been influenced by them in one form or another, so without Black Sabbath there possily could be no Iron Maiden or Metallica. I'm not saying that bands like
Blue Cheer, Led Zeppelin didn't have a impact on metal, I think Sabbath just originated the idea of heavy metal.

C-YA
[img]http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Birdland/4870/pent_12_.gif[/ img]
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 4:34 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I'm a Sabbath freak, so I'm quite happy they got the honor. However, I'd probably have to go with the Beatles. That is unless the title was [i]Heavy Metal[/i] band of the millenium. If so, Sabbath is my choice too.
Although Motorhead comes to mind....
OverMuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 4:23 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

Well, it WAS Kerrang, so I'm sure they meant heavy metal, othewise I'd agree with you on your Beatles pick.

I suppose I'd go with Sabbath, because they originated so many themes of metal: Horror, gothic overtones, heavy, crunchy, plodding riffs, etc.

Lord, I thought they were better with Dio, but that's another discussion.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 5:27 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

Well Sabbath might have originated the sound, but Maiden or Metallica definetly perfected it. And I would go with Dio myself. Heaven and Hell is a work of art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: