HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 12:58 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Who's the better one of these two vocalists? And not only that. What are your opinions of them; try to give positive and negative opinions on both of them.

Having picked out two more well known rock stars I hope to get some more answers this time.

Crusader - Highway Star Of The Silver Mountain
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 1:35 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Two of my all time favorites. It's hard to pick a "better" or even a "favorite."

Dio is the best power metal vocalist of all time. He is the mark by which all others are measured. I mean, Rainbow "Rising." Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules." His own "Holy Diver." Dio has created numerous masterpieces. And he's still going strong! The man has such a full, rich and powerful voice. Dio is also a damn fine human being.

Gillan has had his share of masterpieces as well. I mean, the man sang "Smoke on the Water." His voice is obviously in a bluesy vein, as opposed to the sheer power of Dio. I love his solo work, particularly the sense of humor he injects into some of it. "Toolbox", one of his relatively recent solo outings, is a brilliant slab of mainstream, bluesy hard rock (it also features some mighty tasty drumming by Leonard "Smoking on Matters" Haze.)

I guess you can't compare. They both are, in my mind, the best of their lot.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

They are both great singers. I like Dio's
catalog more, so I would say he is my favorite of the 2. Ian is by far the better
screamer and he puts on a great show. I have
always thought of Dio as a storyteller, a minstrel born too late in time. I'm sure that
he was a travaling bard in merry ole England
in a past life. ( hell he even looks like a elf......no pun intended) hahahahahahah
BedOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 5:58 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Have you ever heard Ian's performance on "Jesus Christ Superstar"? It is amazing!! Don't cast your vote until you hear him (he played Jesus).
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 7:17 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Oh, you mean singing aye? Dio would make Ian his woman and Ian would have like it.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 2:33 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

OK...since they are both great, we're gonna have to go to the tie-breaker. Who has fronted more classic bands?

Dio-Rainbow,Black Sabbath,Dio
Gillan-Deep Purple,Gillan,Black Sabbath

Crap, that didn't help. Okay, I'll give it to Dio because he is shorter
Paul G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 5:48 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Matt, you forgot Elf - so DIO Wins - yahoo.

They both own two of the greatest voices ever to grace our favorite music. I prefer Dio by a hair (bad pun) but it's close.

Heather

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 8:15 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

This would've been a tough choice but after watching the Deep Purple special on VH-1, I have to go with Dio.

Ian sounded lousy live and when I heard Dio, he sounded good. So there, take that, neener, neener, neener! :p

"Who's been getting stage gear off Ronnie Dio?"--Coverdale walking onto stage to find a mike stand way too short.
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 8:30 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

I like both but I'll have to go with Dio for the mistical storys he sings about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: