HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CDR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 4:32 pm    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

Had something happen for the first time today. I made some CDRs for a friend; a few import titles. Things my buddy would never buy on his own. I went to my local copy place to have color copies of the inserts made and the store refused to copy them! Bastards. Apparently they refuse to copy anything copyright protected. I was too surprised to argue much with her. I walked to the next block and made my color copies somewhere else.

Anyone ever had this happen?

Next time I've got my cover story; I'm copying them for a graphic design class I'm taking. This use for education falls under the "fair use" doctrine of section 107 of the Copyright Act. Hopefully that will shut them up.

I'd also be curious to hear anyone's opinion on making CDRs. I usually only copy in certain circumstances: (1) when the title is out of print; (2) to make a mixed or best of disc; and (3) when I want to turn someone on to a band they've never heard. For instance, I made a cdr for a friend of a band he'd never heard before and who he probably never would have bought anything by. He loved it so much, he went out and bought 3 cds by this guy when without my cdr, he'd never have bought anything.

Hippyblood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 4:59 pm    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

Well, guess what! I'm a printer (with a degree in it). It IS illegal to copy copyrighted material without getting the copyright holders permission. I know it's done all the time, and most likely no harm would have come from it, but the printer is the one who would get in trouble if it ever went that far. Some printshop chain got in MAJOR trouble for copying sections out of books for college classes. We're talking millions of $$.
FYI-It's also a major no-no to copy the union label if you're not a union printer.

Thats all for this weeks edition of "Print Talk". Next week our topic will be Paper Cuts-What a bitch!
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 6:01 pm    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

Hippy:

Yeah, I know it is copyright infringement to copy this stuff. I was just surprised that they would not do a single copy of something. I could understand if I was asking for 50 copies of the same tray card and running a bootlegging business. Just like if I copy an article from a magazine to send to my dad, I would not expect a problem. If it was 10 copies of a textbook -- different story. You're right though, the bottom line is it is illegal so I'm not getting too angry. I was just surprised. Just as I'd be surprised if I got stopped for speeding and the cop noticed I had a home-made cassette copy of a Metallica record in my tape deck, and he turned me in for it.

Anyway, another shop finally trusts me enough to actually let me work the color copier by myself (mainly because they always screw it up), so I'll stick to that.

Where's the bootleg king ANAMAL?
Night-Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 7:14 pm    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

Hey DTFM, I share your ideas on CDRs. I only copy under pretty much the same circumstances that you do. My collection isn't monsterous - around 525 disks, but I have had several requests for copies of stuff. Standard answer is go buy the CD and give the artist the benefit of your purchase.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 7:33 am    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

The joy of copyright law - i've got a huge book on it. A lot of bands would never get off the ground if it wasn't for bootleggers and homemade copies of albums passed among friends. Regarding the printer, if its copyrighted they won't print it without permission.
anamal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 8:03 am    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

I do it cause it is the only way i can get the early NWOBHM bands that i loved as a teen on cd, i would never try to make any cash off of it,but it is a pain in the ass to put a lp on disc, and try to make it sound good,no pops,hisses or skips, i am learning everyday how to get better on putting lp to disc, i just wish that the demand would be greater for the early nwobhm and some record exec would have a clue and buy the rights to the great stuff that was put out in the late 70s to mid 80s ,so till then i must try to go at it alone. I have seen a little notice that NEAT records is gonna put out some of there back catalog, that is gonna be great,i wish others(record companys) would take notice what NEAT is doing, imo nwobhm is where it all started .........
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 9:04 am    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

Anamal:

I believe that Neat is reissuing every single that it ever released, which will span something ridiculous like 5 or 7 cds. Anamal's wet dream.

It's funny that one of the inserts I was copying was the Desperado album, which is a band-endorsed bootleg (Elektra opted not to release it). Even though it is a bootleg, Dee Snider's website even sells it when they get a chance. Oh well.

I will go on record as saying I definitely do not endorse copying the entire commercially available Metallica back catalog for a friend. Vinyl or out of print titles, go nuts on 'em.
Batman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 3:10 pm    Post subject: CDR Reply with quote

I have also had similar problems with print shops. I made a cdr copy of Fastway's "All fired up" on my Philips Cd recorder and I was going to give the copy to a guy in canada. When I went to have it copied on a color copier the guy behind the counter said no way. I made a B/W copy since they are perfectly legal to reproduce. Oh well! on the suject of Cd Recording, I usually use mine to make Best of's and compilations. I also like to borrow other peoples cd and copy just the few songs that I like. Just the other day I borrowed my friends copies of Pantera's "CFH" and "VDofP" and took five good songs off of them, and the best part was I didn't have to pay for the cd's! My friends are always asking me to make copies for them, and I tell em' if they'll buy the blank cd's I'll be glad to make a copy for em'. My Cd recorder is one of the best investments I've made!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: