HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y&T vs. Motley Crue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 12:36 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

IMO there are three parts to a being a successful rock band. You got to look like a rock band, act like a rock band and sound like a rock band. Motley Crue has it all going on. Y & T sounded good, but the Crue got my cash.
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 12:39 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

The funny thing is that Motley used to open for Y&T in the LA clubbing days. Leonard was asked at one time to drum for Zeppelin (really) but turned it down.....Bonham was his hero.
EXCITER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 1:13 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I liked Y&T better than the Crue and must mirror what was said by Night-Breed. It was the image that got them noticed. MTV was playing all the "visually exciting" bands more so than the not-so visually exciting bands. The more kids watched MTV, the more sales it generated for the Crue. Talent wise - Y&T hands down.

EXCITER
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 2:47 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Y&T rule. The most underrated rock band of all time. They are also one of my favorite rock bands ever. Leonard Haze, in my humble opinion, is along with John Bonham and Ian Paice one of the three best rock drummers in the history of mankind. The guy can play. He has such a groove. Dave had the voice and certainly could play. He was also one of the genuinely nicest guys I ever met. Joey Alves was a master of the lost art of the rhythm guitar.

Why Crue over Y&T? MTV. Motley Crue had the image down, and image unfortunately was what sold records in the 80s. Tommy Lee was a hot rock god. Leonard Haze was fat and ugly. End of story. Sad but true.

Here's my funny Y&T story. Back in the day, I had met the guys numerous times and done several interviews with Dave. I'd seen the band live at least 25 times (easy to do when you lived in their hometown). I lived and breathed them. Everytime I saw them, they ripped. Then I saw them at the Palace in LA on the "Ten" tour. They were miserable. Just god ****ing awful. A lot of the blame fell on Jimmy DeGrasso, who let's face it ain't exactly Leornard. But for the first time in over a decade of being a fan, they were tired and miserable. I reviewed the show for Kerrang! and pulled no punches, crucifying the show.

Funny part is the week the review came out, the label I worked at signed the band. Apparently I was on the manager's **** list for some time, not to mention my bosses. Ooops. Dave never said anything to me about it. He's was always very nice.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 2:57 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I feel a lot the same Death. I lost it with them when Summertime Girls hit the scene and they played the Day on The Green with Yngwie, Metallica, Ratt and Scorps. Of course they came on after Metallica, in what was Metallica's coming out party! And any band, cept the Scorps that night, would have sounded like crap after the show Metallica put on. That was the sixth or seventh time I saw them, but the year of 82 and 83, I think, was their peak. Never saw them at a real small place, tho they used to play the Eagles Hall in town, but caught them at the cow palace, great america parking lot, concord pavillion..
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 5:04 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

If you would have asked me in 82-83 I would have told you Motley Crue kicked Y&T's ass. In retospect though, I'd have to go with Y&T now. I [i]did[/i] have Black Tiger and possibly Mean Steak before Too Fast For Love....
Of course, when Metallica, Slayer & Venom came out, I quit listening to both of them! (I guess I have to add Voivod too, War and Pain was my first "heavy" album.)
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 8:05 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Y&T were the first on-air interview I ever did, circa 1979 or so. Very cool dudes..Joey, Phil, Leonard, and Dave were always great to be around. The Ten tour wasn't their fault and I really wouldn't blame DeGrasso. That was on Geffen and they wanted to turn the band into Bon Jovi. One of those things I guess. But to this day Dave still has a masterful guitar and a great rock n' roll voice. Since all these reunions have been going on lately, man I'd love to see Y&T do it again.
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 8:10 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Both bands kicked butt and still do but I'll agree with Death on how and why the Crue became more popular.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 10:58 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I thought Y&T wre still putting out music. Did they break up after 1997's Endangered Species album? Luckily enough I found their first album Yesterday and Today (1976) on vinyl a few years back and then Struck Down on cd (no insert but hell! Pre-Shaker Y&T at their finest!)

Anyway I also saw Y&T open up for Crue way back in 1985 and to this day they were imho the best opening band I ever saw (list includes: Helix, Bon Jovi, Queensryche, Brighton Rock, Motorhead, LA Guns, GNR, COC, Great White, Tesla, Trixter, Whitesnake, Warrior Soul etc). Crue were blown off the stage and on to Mars from the Ottawa Civic Centre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: