HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y&T vs. Motley Crue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 11:05 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Ok, what are you thoughts on these two bands from the early to mid 80's period. Why did Motley Crue become so popular and Y&T didnt?

To me Y&T was a better band at the time (until 1985 or so). Tho they had two previous releases under Yesterday and Today moniker, the first Y&T album Earthshaker is a classic. I remember seeing a show on Halloween with Motley Crue and Y&T, being six rows from the stage, thought the Crue were pretty good, could tell Tommy Lee was an excellent drummer but when Y&T came on they blew them away. Leonard Haze had to be the most underrated drummer of all time. This guy could play.

If you go position by position these two band stack up pretty evenly. Was it the Crue's image? The fact they were LA based and Y&T SF based that led them to more popularity? Just luck?

Earthshaker is better than Too Fast For Love and Black Tiger compares well to Shout at the Devil. I even think Meanstreak is better than Theater.

What do you think?

Night-Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 11:35 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Personally, I'm a huge Crue fan but loved Black Tiger & Mean Streak & In Rock We Trust. I think the reason Crue got huge was monsterous self promotion and careful image crafting by Nikki Sixx. Y&T's focus was on great tunes and tight live shows where Crue were busy doing anything they could to be outrageous, whether it came naturally or not. Again, there's no such thing as bad media attention. Dave Meniketti (SP?) is awesome himself as a songwriter and guitarist, but Nikki Sixx knows how to get attention like a madman.
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 12:14 am    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I saw Y & T with crue and accept and it was great.. I have Ten which imo is great.. open fire.. yesterday and today live..contagious, irwt..mean streat..these are all kick ass cds. esp. the live ones..i play drums and always couldnt figure out how lenord hit the bass drum so fast since he didnt have double bass and i dont think he had a double pedal.. y & T are definitely more talented than crue but crue got all the p-u-s-s-y- and that helped with record sales im sure..steve smith from journey played drums on alot of tracks on Ten.. hes awesome too
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 12:32 am    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Well... heck... I read all these posts, and I will just say this:

I agree with everybody!

...there [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

...(_E\/
SunKingHono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 1:44 am    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

Y&T is musically superior. Especially pre Earthshaker recordings. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Motley Crue is flash and image, catchy
tunes, tabloid headlines, a decent drummer and a couple lame sex tapes.

So, any mystery why Crue sold more stuff and became huge in America and Y&T did not?
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 2:17 am    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

If you say you are the best and the baddest, people believe it. Crue said it, we believed it. End of story.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 1:14 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I didnt believe that! and btw: where did all these people come from?
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 2:39 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I didn't believe it. I didn't buy it. I like Crue, and they were a fun live band. But musically, they're like cotton candy. Sweet and tasy, but lacking substance.
QuantumRocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 3:34 pm    Post subject: Y&T vs. Motley Crue Reply with quote

I totally agree with you DTFM. I liked the crue's first album musically, and the second wasn't too bad, but Dave's (Y&T vocalist) singing had so much more power, depth and emotion. It's a bit of a difference than Vince's Higher pitch, also melodic, but somewhat lacking tone on most of their work.

But that's just my opinion (I'm a VERY cynical vocal critic).

Along with everyone else, I agree that the Crue had much better exposure, and a soft touch that the media loves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: