HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dear Abby . . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IcedEarthling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2000 2:46 pm    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

I finally found a copy of Beneth the Remains and bought it, the only one missing from my Sepultura collection,it was well worth the $6 bucks I paid at that used CD store. This disc f.uckin' rocks. The best way to describe it is a cross between Alterna-Fags' Kill 'em All and Slayer's Reign in Blood.....a must have for any Sep fan.
Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 12:33 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

I've heard the song Chaos AD, and some of the songs on Roots. Not a fav band of mine, but I'm really curious how their Motörhead cover, Orgasmatron, sounds like. Their Sabbath cover, Symptom Of The Universe, is pretty cool though.

Crusader - Victim Of Rock
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 2:40 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

just how bad do the vocals suck? ive seen the sepultura albums around for a long time in used cd stores or cheap at cd stores. For instance are the vocals just emotionless such as with Tom Araya from Slayer? Or are they screeching like early Megadeth? Or are they death metalish?(Ugh) or are they just damn annoying like that smashing pumpkins guy?
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 2:43 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

To me its not that Max or Igor or whatever his name is just can't sing. Alot of it has to do with that Brazilian accent. I have that Bestial Devastations cd and I can't get into it.
Bullgod10304

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 2:54 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

I wouldn't blame his singing on his accent, I mean most singer's singing voices sound totally different from their speaking voices. In most cases, you wouldn't even know they had an accent. Some people are just bad singers. For example, I heard a Puya song, except for the song being mostly in spanish, the part where he sang in english you couldn't even hear an accent.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 3:10 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

Well with Sep there is a definite distinction. It would be a lil easier to understand like the Slayer.
Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 6:38 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

Jake,

Max's vocals can only be described as a vicious GROWL style, they are not in the traditional Death metal cookie monster indiscernable deep growl a la Cannibal Corpse. It takes getting used to but hey remember the first time you heard Motorhead? Lemmy was considered extreme at the time but now...
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 2:30 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

so can you actually discern what he's saying? I can't stand it when you have look at the lyrics sheet then listen to the music and try to figure out when someone says what lyric. thats just stupid. Lemmy is at least audible. Interesting point about him though, never thought about that before. Could he be considered a precursor to the death growl or does he just sing weird?
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 6:53 am    Post subject: Dear Abby . . . . Reply with quote

Max's vocals I can somewhat make out, others like Children of Bodom I have no clue what's going on there (lucky for them that they are great players/some clean vocals on the next release would be greatly appreciated thanks). As for Lemmy he may be one of the first growlers but how about Gene Simmons on God of Thunder in 1976, he might be the first. Everything has it's roots and origins. Lemmy was probably the first to use it all the time...man Ace of Spades/Overkill/No Sleep just ruled back then, friends of mine into traditional metal just couldn't handle Motorhead - too fast/too loud/too reckless in other words pure rock'n'roll ENERGY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: