HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion on bands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 2:31 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

I have finally heard Stratavarious, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, and Virgin Steele all courtesy of hardradio, and I liked what I heard. Could somebody please shed a little light on these bands, and tell me what would be a good starting disc for each of these bands. I've been in a real power metal mood lately. Thanks in advance.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:00 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

There's a Virgin Steele thread lurking 4 or 5 pages in the hardradio archives. I've got one of their CD's House of Atreus? - total epic metal.

Hammerfall's recording their new album in Nash Vegas. And that's about all I know about these bands.
Raider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:28 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

I don't like Stratovarius. A lot of potential, but their sound is too weak on the vast majority of the songs on "Destiny." WAY too weak. There's a couple that are OK, but even on those it seems that the songwriting could have used some improvement.

I do like Hammerfall. They aren't the greatest thing in power metal now, but they are good and enjoyable to listen to.

Don't know about the other two, except that guitar great Kai Hansen (Helloween, Iron Savior, cameo in Primal Fear's S/T) is in Gamma Ray.
Raider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 3:29 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

I don't like Stratovarius. A lot of potential, but their sound is too weak on the vast majority of the songs on "Destiny." WAY too weak. There's a couple that are OK, but even on those it seems that the songwriting could have used some improvement.

I do like Hammerfall. They aren't the greatest thing in power metal now, but they are good and enjoyable to listen to.

Don't know about the other two, except that guitar great Kai Hansen (Helloween, Iron Savior, cameo in Primal Fear's S/T) is in Gamma Ray.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 10:16 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

We had a thread a little ways back explaining everything about Virgin Steele. I personally dont like them but i dont have any albums.

Hammerfall is really basic and not incredibly talented but they do rock. Their first album(the only one i actually own) "Glory to the Brave" is good and it has lots of fast songs with sharp riffs and high vocals. If you are looking for technique and solos though, this is isnt the album for you(or the band). The second album, from what ive heard(its called "Legacy of Kings") is basically another really formulaic powermetal album. and the songs basically are a mirror of the first album. I kind of like the songs from the first album more. They are also recording a new album soon.

Stratovarious, from what ive heard(i dont own albums but ive heard some mp3s and read reviews), are slick and more complicated. I dont know what it's called but i think the album from a few years ago is supposed to be the best(I think its called "Episode").

Gamma Ray: I have only one from them. Its from the Ralf Scheepers years(their first vocalist). I have the album "Insanity and Genius". Alot of powermetal fans seem to love this album, but personally i find it cluttered and Ralf scheeper's ill-sound-like-a-rip-off-halford voice gets on my nerves. from what ive heard and read, the albums where Kai Hansen(he used to just be the guitarist) sings are the best. These would be "Powerplant"(their newest), and i think especially "Land of the Free"(which is really supposed to be awesome but ive only heard a couple songs so i dont know).

Dark Reign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 10:45 am    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

Finally, a place for me to help!!!!!

Gamma Ray-By far one of my favorites now. Kai Hansen, former guitarist of Helloween founded this band. First two albums(Heading for Tomorrow, Sigh no more) are pretty much the helloween sound of the keepers with some humor thrown in. Ralf Scheepers did the vocals and was very capable....wide range!!!!!
The third album, Insanity and Genius, was the last one to feature Scheepers on vocals. It is, IMO, a step up from the first two and a little harder sounding.
The next one"land of the free" is a bit of a return to the sound Helloween had on "walls of Jericho". Hansen once again took over vocals, which sould a bit more refined than the Jericho days. A very good album overall....recommended!!
After that they evolved that sound a bit while remaining true to the style on "Somewhere out in Space". Once again a very good album.
The newest one,"powerplant", is rather heavy and it takes a step in the direction of a Judas Priest influence. Somewhat on the order of the Painkiller album at times. There are two forgettable songs on this one, "Short as Hell" which sounds like Metallica and "Heavy Metal Universe" which sounds like Manowar. Still, it is a great album!!!! Like I said, these guys are one of my favorites at the moment.

Hammerfall is good, they are just a let-down in their choruses....there is a great build-up, but then when the chorus of most songs hit you feel as though something is missing.

Stratovarius, I only have one album. It sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen meets Helloween meets Queensryche. The vocalist gets annoying at times!!

I also recommend Iron Savior(the first album is straight ahead metal, and the albums after continue to build on that),Primal Fear(Ralf Scheepers new band, Judas Priest influenced), and Blind Guardian. They are all very good powermetal trips. But I do recommend Gamma Ray, just get one from "Land of the Free" and up.

samsalt1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 7:59 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

i know i can help. i have everything stratovarius and gamma ray have ever done and i sure dont get the weak comments on stratovarius.
either get dreamspace (older material) or episode. they are both incredible albums with great songs throughout. fourth dimension, twilight time, and visions are also great albums. good luck finding thier first release, fright night, but if you can find it buy it.
gamma ray was described quite well in the previous post and land of the free is one of the greatest metal cds ever. period. very reminiscent of helloweens walls of jericho (my all time fave album), it balances pure speed metal with excellent harmonies and choruses. you will love it.
hammerfall is good but not very original. their best songs are the cover tunes. good but not great.
virgin steele has been around forever. i have a song from them on us metal vol.2 from 1981. they currently sound very much like manowar. hope this helps. good luck. you have much good music to experience!!
Dark Reign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 10:01 pm    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

I was thinking.....ever listen to Running Wild. They are a band you either love or hate, but if you're interested the most melodic ones are "Port Royal" and "Death or Glory" Powermetal with a gruff leadsinger......enjoy!
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 9:00 am    Post subject: Opinion on bands Reply with quote

I would suggest that you stay away from the Hammerfall. I found it very boring after the first 3 or 4 times. They are not very original, just a good copy of all teh great euro power metal bands of the 80's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: