HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motorola

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 3:58 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

When I read the "In beginning..." thread, I came to think of a HM festival that was aired in Europe (at least) in the spring of 1984. The ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival had a very impressive bill and really turned me on to some metal greats.
The festival took place at the Westfalenhalle in Dortmund, Germany, on December 18, 1983 and the bill featured the following bands:

Iron Maiden (they "killed" Eddie on stage at the end of the show)
Ozzy Osbourne (Jake E Lee, Bob Daisley, Carmine Appice, Don Airy)
Judas Priest
Scorpions
Def Leppard (had just released Pyromania and were still good)
Quiet Riot
MSG (great gig with Gary Barden on vocals)
Krokus

The show was broadcasted in the spring of 1984 on TV and radio simultaneously. I recorded the entire show on two casettes from the radio, and I still listen to it!. It has the best Maiden and Priest performances I've ever heard. It kicks the living hell out of Live After Death and Priest Live (from the Turbo tour).

I wonder where these recordings are collecting dust. They are too damn good not to be released on record.

Now to my question for you all: How many of you are old or European enough to have caught this show either at the venue or on TV? I sure wish I had been there...

[This message has been edited by Motorola (edited 04-18-2000).]

nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 6:01 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

I vote for that tour this summer... what a show. Reminds me of the great Day on the Greens and Monster of Rock shows..

Day on Green 1987
victory
Yngwie
Metallica
Y&T
Ratt
Scorps

Monsters of Rock - Candlestick Park
I think this was the bill... help please..
Metallica
Dokken
Scorps
Van Halen

DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 6:12 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

Nitro: I was at that Candlestick show. Kingdom Come were also on the bill.

Here's another great 80s show:

"Summer Jam" with Motley Crue, Accept, Y&T and Helix in Lynn, Mass.

Ahhhhh, those were the days . . . .
samsalt1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 6:22 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

heres my favorite festival experience. kalamazoo michigan at a ski mountain in the summer of 1984. heres the band list:
1. ratt
2. accept
3. night ranger
4. motley crue
5. ozzy
6. triumph
that was fun. those were the days. this is more like what ozzfest should be. not all this alternative industrial bull****.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 9:58 am    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

DTFM - do you remember that show? Hottest day ever at Candlestick. Was still like 90 at midnight. Never wore shorts to the Stick before or since. Took us about 2 1/2 hours to get out of the parking lot.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 11:56 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

I wish id seen those things unfortunately i am not old enough. but hey if megadeth and motley crue werent so old and tired their tour would be kindof a cool thing with

Megadeth
Motley Crue
Anthrax
(and Zach Wylde said he wanted to get Black Label Society on the bill)

that sounds like a pretty good lineup although the one you mentioned motorola would blow anything away.

the other one i remember hearing about was a monsters of rock in 1980 with Rainbow headlining and Judas Priest, Saxon, and Scorpions all supporting. that wouldnt have been too bad at all.
Motorola

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 3:32 am    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

There were many great festivals in the eighties, especially the Monsters Of Rock festivals at Donnington Park in England. I believe the first one took place in 1980 and by 1984 the show travelled around Europe. I caught the 1984 tour in Stockholm and the bands on the bill were:

AC/DC (Simon Wright had just joined on drums)
Van Halen
Motley Crue

I wasn't a big fan of Van Halen at the time and I didn't care at all for Motley Crue. I was there for AC/DC and they were great. They had just released Flick Of The Switch, but they didn't play a single song from it! I remember that clearly.

The bill in England featured a lot more bands:
Accept
Y & T
and more that I don't remember...

Those were the days...
DEFFY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 12:34 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

Does any one remember who played on the US Festival in the early 80's (all i know Ozzy was there).

[This message has been edited by DEFFY (edited 04-20-2000).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 1:41 pm    Post subject: ZDF Heavy Metal Non-Stop Festival 1983 Reply with quote

US Festival had a very drunk Van Halen, Triumph, hmm.. got a video around here somewhere with some others on it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: