HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best power ballads??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Reign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 9:31 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

I didn't know anyone else out there liked that Heathen song!!!!!!

need I mention the new tear jerker?
******Fiddler on the Green********

I'll tell you what. I heard the story behind the lyrics a little while back, and that just makes the song that much better!
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 10:47 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

Triumph has a slew of 'em
UFO - (my favorite band)
L.A. Guns - could crank out a few also.
AcePerry

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 4:37 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

Right from their very beginnings, Aerosmith (specifically Tyler) have always had the ability to slush-inducing ballads of epic proportions. (The riduculously oversaturated) Dream On, Seasons Of Wither, You See Me Cryin', Home Tonight and Mia through to The Reason A Dog and all the well-known "glossies" that followed. Undeniable.

A lesser known act with a serious flair for power ballads was Canada's April Wine. Myles Goodwyn seemed an endless well of quality mush-rock throughout the meat of their career.

Alice Cooper has written some great ballads, and even managed to get away with a few shlocky ones.

Queen and Nazareth also had a consistant knack for pulling off high quality power ballads.

THE TROOPER

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 5:04 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

Scorpions are definitely the power ballad kings.

How about:
Helix: "Never Wana Loose You" and "Deep Cuts the Knife".

Someone mentioned Krokus, but not "Screaming in the Night"

Steelheart's "Angel Eyes (Never let you Go)" I know I shouldn't admit to liking that one but I heared it at the strip joint about a month ago, and that girl was REALLY hot!!

Any Maiden fans have the single to "Wasted Years". Its got a song sung by Adrian called "Reach Out" that I liked alot.

How about good "fu@k you, bit@h" ballads like:
Cinderella's "Nobody's Fool" or
Megadeth's "In my Darkest Hour"

Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 5:08 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

I love "In My Darkest Hour," but that is no power ballad in any way, shape or form.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 5:25 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

Hey, Trooper, that song Reach Out was pretty cool. Not standard Maiden fair, but it was interesting to hear Adrian singing lead...and Bruce doing backing vocals! I was lucky enough to pick up Somewhere in Time with the bonus CD used a couple months ago.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 6:31 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

I know you said BANDS, but really a list with just Scorpions on it wouldn't be very long. So, I'll adopt some selective hearing and ignore the rules.

Lots of good ones already mentioned, including two of my all-time faves "Deep Cuts the Knife" by Helix and "Burning Heart" by Vandenberg.

To the Y&T list I'd add "This Time."

Whitesnake have a lot, but my fave is "Here I go Again" -- the original Jon Lord hammond organ version; not the cheesy hair band version.

"You Don't Love me Anymore" -- London Quireboys (not sure if I got the title right)

"The Storm" -- Baton Rouge

"Desperate" -- Babylon AD

"Laws Against Love" -- Vain

"Walkin' Away" -- Kix

"You're not Alone" -- Twisted Sister

"Dreamin' Again" -- Rough Cutt

"Always Gonna Love You" -- Gary Moore ("It's not the same when I look in your eyes . . ." ahhhh, gets me every time)
"Empty Rooms" (original version) -- Gary Moore

"No Stranger to Love" -- Black Sabbath

[This message has been edited by DeathtofalseMetal (edited 05-01-2000).]
Motorola

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 2:58 pm    Post subject: Best power ballads?? Reply with quote

This is an old topic, I know, but here are a few great power ballads:

BOC - (Then Came) The Last Days Of May
BOC - Astronomy (the 'Tallica version does it no justice)
Thin Lizzy - Still In Love With You
Boston - Amanda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: