HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerFreak

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 4:14 pm    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

First off, big, big thanks and hugs have to go out to the members of Agent Steel. By far, the most professional, most under-appreciated and one of the most
deserving bands in the ****ed up music business. Thank you for putting up with the bull**** and staying professional through out it all. Remember, they got
EXACTLY what they didn't want, and you know what I mean....

OK. My buddy Sam is one of the biggest Agent Steel fans on the face of the earth. He's been into the band from the beginning, seeing them at Blondies in Detroit
back in '85. I helped hook Sam up with Bruce and Juan's email and they have been communicating via email and phone constantly since Sammy got his PC, about a
year now I guess. He's waited 15 years to see these guys live again and, thankfully, was able to see 3 great songs performed by the Masters of Metal, Agents of
Steel. Why only 3 songs? One word. Miscommunication.

As a lot of you know, Agent Steel was personally invited by Armored Saint to play 3 dates opening on their current tour. It's been advertised all over the net and has
been anticipated by a lot of people.

Well, on the way to Phoenix, Juan calls me from Kingman, 3 hours or so away from Phoenix and asked me to get times from the Mason Jar for load-in, sound
check and when they would be playing. No problem. Call over, they're not even aware that Agent Steel is playing, perhaps they are the replacement for Jacob's
Dream. Sounds like some communication didn't make it through to the Jar.

After heading to the Jar, who's still unaware Agent Steel is supposed to be playing, the new, very, very cool ownership adjusts the set for Agent Steel to play.

We go back to the hotel, happy, everything seems to have been worked out. Sam gets all his stuff signed (even has the blue vinyl Mad Locust Rising EP... bastard).
Drink a couple of beers, talk metal, talk life, just hang out. Met up with a great lady, I think her name was Christine, that drove out from LA. She saw them Friday at
the Whiskey, drove to see them Saturday thinking they were at the Galaxy in Las Vegas, then drove here to Phoenix. Sam and I have nothing on her for dedication!
Band heads back to the Jar about 8:15pm; Sam and I stop off for food, then on to the club.

We get there, and there seemed to be a few questions about where Agent Steel was supposed to play again. Not sure what miscommunication happened, but being
a very professional band they try and work something out, and do.

Diego (A.S. stage manager) talks to the opening bands, seeing if there is anything they can do, cutting back set times, sharing the back line etc, so A.S. can play, at
least some. Hats off have to go to Diego and the opening bands, Born of Fire and Blind Rage (Blind Rage especially, since they allowed A.S. to use their backline).
Both bands cut their set down a bit, and helped out getting their kit stripped down and Chuck's set up. Thanks also to Mick (Jar owner) for arranging this brief
teaser set. With the opening bands being so very cool, 20 minutes is opened up for Agent Steel.

Blind Rage does their set (good thrashy, melodic metal). Their drummer's set gets torn down quick, Chuck's gets setup. 10 minutes to change over from Blind Rage
to Agent Steel. Amazing how things can happen when working together.

The intro music starts to play, but the sound guy ****s it up and doesn't cue it right (not really his fault since everything happened last minute anyway). Bruce tells him
to cut the intro and they open up with Unstoppable Force. Great pick considering the difficulties of even getting time to play. This band truly is an Unstoppable
Force. No one is going to keep these guys down! Illuminati is Machine is next, followed by Bleed for the Godz. 3 full balls speed songs that just ****ing crushed. At
the start of the set there were 4 of us up front. Mid-way through, 15... by the end, a good 30 or so. Before each song, Bruce humbly thanks each opening band for
being so cool and announces that the album release party will be here in Phoenix shortly after the Metal Blade release of Omega Conspiracy, June 6th. Those local
bands who were so cool to A.S. will be on the bill.

The band wasn't as tight as they could be, but who would be having the difficulties they did? The songs were still performed at top notch and they got people
pumped. After they played, people were in shock. Quotes I heard: "What the **** just happened?", "Holy ****! That ****ing ruled", "They'll be back when?", "My
god that was ****ing amazing". Did I mention by neck is sore as ****? Damn.

Afterwards, we help strip down, load up the vans and hang and talk with new fans, people who have never heard of A.S. I still can't believe that; these guys are
legends in my book.

3 songs in about 15-20 minutes that had the place completely buzzing afterwards. 3 songs to prove a point. 3 songs showed that through all difficulties, level headed
and professionalism wins out. 3 songs that impressed a hell of a lot of people that will now be at the album release show and maybe UltraSound2000 too.

It wasn't ideal by any means, but it worked.

Thanks again to the Jar for being so cool and really bending over backwards.

Thanks again to Born of Fire and Blind Rage (http://www.blindrage.cc) for cutting back to allow Agent Steel to play.

More thanks to Blind Rage for the shared equipment use and going out of their way to make 3 songs happen.

If you get a chance, see Agent Steel at all costs. You will not be disappointed at all.

'Zilla

PS. Beware the dirty chicken!
Deviation

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 5:51 pm    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

I was a bit confused at last night's show. The first band, Contamination, played 3 songs and then sat right in front of me for the remainder of the show. They seemed to have some serious beef with the Agent Steel guys. Any input on why they had such animosity? Did their set get shortened without asking or what? Just curous.
PowerFreak

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 6:15 pm    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

I think there set was indeed shortened by the club owner, but I'm not sure. They had to pull time from somewhere and Contamination may have been the victim.

It would have never happened had the communication not been dropped along the way. The only reason sets were cut short was in part due to the distance and time Agent Steel spent just getting here.

If you have an email or website for Contamination, please let me know. Agent Steel fully plans on having the bands that cut their sets short on the bill for the album release show in June.

Thanks!
'Zilla
samsalt1

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 7:14 pm    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

hey guys,this is sam. first of all, i apprectiate all powerfreak had to say about my dedication for agent steel. what can i say, they ruled in `85 and they ****IN rule in 2000!
i must say that im not exactly sure what happened last night at the jar but one thing i can tell you is that the guys in agent steel would NEVER mess with an opening band and go behind their back and shorten their set. they are ultimate professionals that deserve much more than they are recieving at this point.(you will get yours eventually, AS). it seems there is some bull**** going on with the headliners of the show (armored saint)who dont like being blown off stage by an opening act. agent steel was with them for three days and there were problems that affected their set every day. i think armored saint is an excellent band but the sheer power that agent steel put out in that 3 song set was almost more than one could handle. i dont know if i could handle an hour and a half of that much intensity but i sure cant wait to find out. the fact is, armored saint cant produce that kind of power.
in closing, i want to thank agent steel, especially juan and bruce for being so cool to everyone last night and to chuck for going on and crushing his drum kit for 15 minutes. agent steel is for real and soon you will all know it.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 pm    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

Where's the Yeti when you need him?

PowerFreak

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 8:16 am    Post subject: Agent Steel last night in Phoenix...please read Reply with quote

I have to agree with Sam on this one.

Agent Steel were extremly professional and would not mess with an opening bands slot at all. Again, I'm not exactly sure what happened and why Contamination only played 3 songs, but I can asure you that Agent Steel will make it up to them by having them on (if they want it) for the album release show in June.

'Zilla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: