HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MetallicA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockfist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2000 4:10 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

I dusted off some Metallica bootlegs I've had for a while. One is called "Metallica The Apocalypse". Its a 3 cd set with about 35 demos from No Life Til Leather to Metallica. Some of the coolest stuff:

5 Demos from Ron Mcgovenys garage including "Sucking My Love" - it sounds like a cover. Anybody know who ?

7 songs from "No Life Til Leather"

A version of Welcome Home with altered lyrics, the best I can make out is:
"Sacrifice with a Golden Rod;
(Kings) and Queens and a new found God;
Offering to the diety, the only thing their minds will see;
They see it right, they see it well but they think you'll save them from thier hell"

An extended version of Welcome Home which goes into Orion, I cant tell if they just played it back-to-back or if they eventually split the song into two.

There are two songs called "Rock Me" and "The Wait" which are actually Megadeth songs "Last Rights/Loved to Death" and "Skull Beneath the Skin" - demo versions. Metallica never played these, did they ?

A lot of the songs dont have singing yet (ie "Nah Nah Nah") and the solos are different in many too, most notably "One" which the booklet says was recorded in 1985 !

Finally there are 3 songs from a Newsted side project called "IR8" the vocals are basically death metal. Hmmm.

Dave Mustaine played on a lot of these tracks and you can tell that boy was on speed ! They had to slow it down for Kirk it sounds like.

Okay so why am I telling all this to you ? Just thought it was interesting and I also wanted to know if anybody else has some cool rare demo stuff.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2000 4:44 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

Interesting...I've got the Black Album and Load demos that were included as extra tracks with CD singles. It's interesting to hear how the songs sound "in process" and how much different they are from the finished product.

I've got only one Metallica bootleg called "Acting Like a Maniac." I believe it's their first Donnington appearance. The sound quality, however, is atrocious.
samsalt1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2000 7:27 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

"sucking my love" is a cover song originally done by diamond head.
sounds like you have some very cool old recordings. maybe the band ought to listen to them. it might wake them up.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2000 7:48 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

Sounds cool Lockfist.. gnna have to make me some tapes.

Lockfist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 5:00 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

bump
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 5:32 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

Lockfist isnt "The Wait" also a cover? listen to garage days revisited its on there.
katwoman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 9:47 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

"The Wait" was originally done by Killing Joke, released in 1980.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:13 pm    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

IR8 was a project Newsted was working on with Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Ocean Machine, et al.) which never got off the ground due to contractual and philosophical differences.
Lockfist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:11 am    Post subject: MetallicA Reply with quote

Oops, it looks like I am a fountain of misinformation. Although "The Wait" is on the cd, the two Megadeth songs are titled "You and Me" and "Rock Me", respectively.

I suppose on of these days I should pick up Garage Days again. There were some good songs on that. I heard a joke that Metallica were going to issue it again under the name "$59.98 Garage Days Re-Revisited". Ha !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: