HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fates Warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edis0n

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 12:36 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

Can anyone describe the music and tell me which albums are best from
Fates Warning and Angra
Deviation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 2:34 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

I can help with the Fates.

The first 3 albums are with John Arch handling vocals. He has a unique style, to put it mildly. He has a great voice but his delivery is a love it/hate it type. The music on these Arch albums is similar to early Di'Anno Maiden in heaviness. Awaken the Guardian is the place to start if you like Arch's voice.

Ray Alder has been singing on all albums since Awaken the Guardian. Ray is more like a Geoff Tate type. Lots of lungs. The music also gets more moody. Brooding, progressive metal. Not as quick but much darker. The most "progressive" is probably Perfect Symetry.

Actually, a good place to start is [url=http://www.fateswarning.com/]http://www.fateswarning.com/[/url] and go to the Media link. Also, under Discography, there's additional sound files fromm each album. Try checking out "Chasing Time" since it's a collection from all the albums and will give a decent sample of their work.

I've been a big fan since Perfect Symetry and have all albums except Pleasant Shade of Grey. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Excellent musicians. Mark Zonder is one of the best drummers out there. Jim Matheos can play and write. Ray can sing. One of my favorite bands.

A buddy likes Angra a lot and I've listened to his CDs. They're good, but I couldn't give a fair enough assessment here.
AZRock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:04 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

Well, as Deviation alluded, I'm a pretty big Angra fan. Fates is really cool too. I've just gotten into them in the last couple of months. My favorites Fates cds are No Exit and Perfect Symmetry.

As far as Angra goes, They only have 3 full length cds - Angels Cry, Holy Land, and Fireworks. They also have a live album and a couple of EPs. I have all 3 full length cds. I really can't pick a favorite because they are all really good and pretty different from eachother.

Angels Cry - The hardest of the 3. Slightly progressive but straight forward metal.

Holy Land - This is by far their most progressive album. A lot of different instruments and musical styles complement a still solid metal base.

Fireworks - Kind of a return to the Angels Cry sound but more polished. If you have to start somewhere, this is probably the best place.

Andre Matos has a fantastic voice. Sometimes he hits such high notes you'd swear he must be squeezing his nuts! The 2 guitar players (Loureiro and Bittencourt) are incredible and really come into their own on Fireworks.

One of my favorite bands!
cdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:59 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

My first introduction to Fates was actually when I belonged to a CD club and was sent one of their cd's by mistake. I decided to keep it rather than go through the hassle of returning it, and have been a big fan ever since. The two vocalists have given them two distinctive sounds, and I appreciate them both!
Starbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 5:13 pm    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

As far as Fates Warning goes, I seem to be at odds with the others here. I purchased "Night on Brocken" upon its original US release (the one the band HATES the cover of), and I still prefer it to the rest. To me, it seems tighter, whereas the later stuff can ramble a little.

I prefer Arch to Alder, though Alder may have the better voice, IMO. "Chasing Time" is a good compilation, as it showcases the more readily listenable tunes (ie. single type stuff)
edis0n

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 7:43 pm    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

Just got Fates Warning "Still Life". So far sounds awesome. Couldnt find the chasing time compilation, and when I saw that one song was the whole disc 1, I had to get it. Love that Rush, Dream theater etc. really long epic song type stuff. Looks like I have to go back and get more albums of these guys. Thanks for the reccomendations. Now Angra, thats next payday.
Metal1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 11:19 pm    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

I actually liked Inside Out, thought it had some really good moments. Disconnected is more of a heavy style progressive, very agressive, lots of sound effects. That and the singer was in the studio with laryngitis the whole time. All in all, any album you buy will be slightly different in style, but will be worth the money, their a very underrated band.
metalgr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 2:06 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

Hi Edison! Did you take your name from
the character of Accident Of Birth?
Well, i don't know what type of music you are listening to but
if you don't listen to European power metal
Angra is going to be very strange to you.
You could even find their music funny if you
don't like high vocals and you like heavy guitars like Pantera or Zakk Wylde!
Personally, i'm a BIG fan of Angra and if you
want to buy something of them , buy Holy Land!
It's one of the best metal Cds i've ever heard
and i think it's the perfect combination of progressive, European power metal
and Brazilian folk music with an EXCELLENT production.
Imagine Helloween (that's the key word) with
many progressive elements and you will have
an idead of what Angra sound like!
And a last warning! Try to listen to Holy Land as a concept disc
and not just as a collection of different songs.
GODOF80S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 4:29 am    Post subject: Fates Warning Reply with quote

I'm glad to see so many ANGRA and FATES fans. I have been a FATES fan for about 14 years and just think they rule! As far as Angra goes - i just got into them a couple of months ago and hafta admit i am completely blown away. Angra is easily one of the best bands in the world. Melody , Power , Sophistication , No crappy Cookie Monster vocals , amazing talent - i mean these guys are phenomenal. America is pushing Korn , Limp , Orgy , Filter , Creed , ALTERNA-KRAP and there are KILLER bands like ANGRA out there. C'mon America get with the F+++n program!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: