HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here hate Pantera
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Something Wicked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:09 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

Personally, I like them, but just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this board who might despise this group. Again, I'm not going to rag on anybody, I just want to know.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:20 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

Go ahead, rag on me. Pantera have just never done anything for me. They don't give me that ol' musical woody. Everyone I know loves 'em, but me.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

I haven't heard that much. Need a recommendation. What I have heard didn't grab me, but that could be cause I haven't heard a cd all the way through.
Lockfist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

With the release of Vulgar Display of Power during a tumultuous time in Metal History, I thought Pantera was on the verge of Greatness. The sound and lyrics of that album will forever be the definition of aggressive power that has defined much of the sound of 90’s Metal. Most importantly I thought the lyrics were a subtle acknowledgement of self-empowerment and inspiration. Addressing social issues, teen angst, personal strife, and all-out rage in a manner which left the listener with some direction or at least something to think about.

“Been constantly so frustrated I've moved mountains with less… Taught when we're young to hate one another It's time to have a new reign of power… A closed mind playing the part of prison cells… I fight for love of brother Your friends fight one another”

Much to my chagrin, they followed up that masterpiece with well, a piece of something. The raw power had been transformed into redundant riffs and song structure. The subtle songwriting had made way for pre-pubescent posturing.

“The daughter that sucks me off and snorts cheap anything…I f*cked your girlfriend last night… I've done it all but tap The vein…Kill that **** to show him up”.

I was even more disappointed to endure Phil Anselmos petty tirade against perceived transgressions against his race. In fact I took some non-metal friends to see a concert on that tour and was absolutely embarrassed by his display of idiocy.

Pantera, although following the metal formula, are nothing more to me than a boring band whose albums I purchase and listen to casually. I do give them some credit for recruiting kids into Metal during the 90’s.

Sorry for the long post but I’ve been wanting to get this issue off my chest for a while too.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

Cowboys From Hell was very good, more melodic than later Pantera works. You can hear their glam roots coming through. Vulgar Display of Power took a more aggressive approach to the music and was probably Pantera's finest hour.

There were a few good songs on Far Beyond Driven, but it mostly fell flat for me. Like Lockfist, I was really turned off on the lyrics, which just gave me the creeps, for some reason.

But I think they rediscovered the magic on Great Southern Trendkill. It's their most diverse album since Cowboys. There's a lot of fast, aggressive stuff there, but there's also some laid-back, acoustic, ballad-type stuff there. The guitar solos sound great.

Reinventing the Steel sounds like a distillation of the rawer elements of all the albums from Vulgar on through Trendkill. It hits hard on the first few listens, but gets a bit old after awhile. I need some diversity in style, and Steel is seriously lacking.

I've seen Pantera live twice, and both shows were great, regardless of Phil's posturing and silly macho tirades. I also recommend the side project Down, which features Phil and Pepper Keenan from Corrosion of Conformity. It's more of a southern flavored sound, downtuned and slower (stoner rock, you might say, but I don't think that would be an adequate description). Almost all the songs are about smoking dope. I got to see Down live once...excellent show, if you can get over Phil's incessant rap about weed in between songs. I respect the guy's talents, but a little of him goes a long, long way.
dogfacedgod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 9:01 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

Well the only thing i can say is.....

I FUKKIN LOVE EM!!! (no other response necessary)

BTW, DOWN will have another disc out in 2001.
edis0n

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 9:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

Ditto to what lockfist said.
zombie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 10:14 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

I'll stick with lockfist on this one also.

I still listen to:

projects in the jungle' and 'I am the night' and 'power metal' more than any other cd's, but that was a diffent pantera in a different time. Not a glam band, but a good hard rock/metal band for the late 80's.
MartinPopoffSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 10:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone here hate Pantera Reply with quote

ok , why isn't early pantera considered a "glam hairband"??
they certainly had the look!!
alot of pantera fans hate admitting that they like a "glam hairband" but back in the day, Pantera looked like that band NITRO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: