HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmymetal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:23 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

Hey guys, if you check out the Priest update in the Hard Views section you will notice that Glen Tipton has totally denied the reunion rumors w/Rob Halford. Now this is clear nonsense, as Priest will be reuniting w/Halford in early 2001 and we will be talking about how great the shows are at this time next year.

Keep in mind that Priest can NOT discredit their current lineup if a JP reunion does fall through. Remember both Kiss and Motley Crue were working on new albums in '96 & '97 (w/"secondary" lineups) and we all know what happened "next." And both were denying the swirling reunion rumors. So, JP is playing the "game" pretty well.

I like Owens in JP, but he can't elevate their career. Let's see, does JP want to play clubs & theatres w/Owens or arenas & amphitheatres w/Halford???? And how about the money Maiden, Kiss, AC/DC, Sabbath have raked in the last couple of years???? I would imagine that those figures have passed through the JP camp. This is a no brainer!!!

Anyway, I have to agree w/Tim Henderson on this one, as the JP reunion WILL happen very soon.
Metal1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:34 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

To be selfish, I hope your wrong. Both parties are on good terms, thats been known for a while now. But Halford the band is very solid, and could easily be a major force with another album. Priest is saying their new album is going to have a more straight-ahead, classic sound, which should be good for them (and us.)

I don't see how Rob re-joining Priest will elevate them. I like the idea of having 2 great bands like Halford and Maiden.

This can be compared (sort of) to Maiden. The only difference is that Blayze didn't fit in Maiden, Ripper fits in Priest just fine. When Bruce returned, he elevated the band because he simply fit in better. And, its a good note that Bruce is still doing solo stuff, which makes me happy.

Well, I think I contradicted myself at least 20 times here, but I think you get my main point. Halford is a great band on their own, and if Priest got back to their roots sound-wise, they could be great again, too. Just go and listen to Live-Meltdown with Ripper. They kick some serious butt live, they just need some new material that has that Electric Eye kinda fell to it.

OK, i'm done. Up The Irons!
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:50 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

I would hope that the Priest "reunion" happens AFTER the new Priest album with Ripper. I would like to hear what they could do with him on some classic-style Priest material.

Halford's RESURRECTION is a great album, and I'd like to hear one more like it as well before he "rejoins" Priest.

That would make more sense - Let a year or two pass between the Maiden reunion and the upcoming Priest reunion. That would give the fans more time to get excited.
MetalRider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:14 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

I won't be too disappointed if the reunion doesn't happen. However, I hope that JP does go with a much more classic sounding album. I have come to accept most of Jugulator, but it took me a long time. Resurrection is pretty good, but I am hoping for even better things in the future from Halford.
Daronas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:40 am    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

I would like to see Priest stick with Ripper and keep their integrity. If they reunite with Rob, isn't that selling out? Especially since it was pointed out before, money may be a driving force behind it and playing larger venues. I do not want to see that happen to a band I love. Glenn has always said that Ripper is the future of Priest and I want to believe him. Would I like to see Rob back with Priest? In my heart, yes. However, if it compromises the way I feel about the band, no, I don't want to see it happen. Also, they would have to leave at least an entire album's worth of material that they love and are very proud of, out of their live sets. For me personally, I would much rather hear Ripper sing classic Priest live than hear Rob sing anything from Jugulator live. I am one of the minority that truly feels that Jugulator is not an inferior album. Anyway, it may not be popular, but that is my opinion.
The Sledge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:51 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

As a long-time Judas Priest loyalist, I agree with Daronas! Judas Priest is well respected and one of the only bands with genuine integrity. And to put out an album like "Painkiller" and "Jugulator" (whew, both in one sentence!! [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ) after 20 or so years of playing, is incredible! Heavy Metal runs thru their veins.

I was pretty shocked at Halfords' departure, and thought Priest should stop recording until Halford came to his senses. Although Rippers' style sounds a little too much like Halford, I think the album is credible. Tipton and the others are, and should be respected for handling all of this with the integrity and class that they have.

In a nutshell, I do believe Ripper wants to go in a different direction. He's young. He has a lot of energy. I think in a couple of years he's going to head off in his own direction. That's when I think Halford and the guys are going to get to talking music again. In a situation like that I think all sides will save and spare their earned respect and integrity. But that's only if it's a few years down the road...

NP: Love/Hate on HR
dogfacedgod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 9:34 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

Who knows? Time will tell.Maiden sold out MSG and Judas Priest are licking their chops$$$.Hey it's all good for metal anyway.I'm all for it.

I must say though Tim Owens kicks fukkin ass.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:02 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

Dunno. Saw Halford opening up for Maiden and while he can still sing his band just can't keep up (guitar player just blew the Stained Class solo). Priest has a solid band and a good singer who emulates Halford.

On the other hand, Blaze in Maiden put out two fine records with a different sound. Some folk didn't like it (80% of usenet posts) but who knows what the general population thinks? I've been listening to Metal for 17 years now and there aren't that many records that are as good as The X Factor/Virtual XI. Brave New World is a continuation of that sound just with a nostalgic vocalist and a lighter upbeat tone.
Blaze on the other hand mastered his craft and gave the metal community one of the best metal albums of all time (ranks right up there with Holy Diver, Dreaming Neon Black, Sad Wings, Piece of Mind, Power and the Glory etc). All the songs are sung with passion and melody. No grunts. Halford's however, is largely based in either the late 80's pseudo thrash (Made in Hell is a rip off of Vicious Rumours' Don't Wait For Me) and old Priest.

Then again I like traditonal British Metal and don't fall in with the current trend bands (Emperor, Hypocrisy, Sepultura,Iced Earth (whose heavy tunes are largely derivative of every other riff thats been played).
The Sledge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:38 pm    Post subject: IN REGARDS TO JUDAS PRIEST UPDATE Reply with quote

Midnight Sun,

Halfords' guitarist blew the solo for "Stained..."?? I still think Fight was a great band for Halford. My respect for the icon grew when I heard "War...". Here after decades of a style, he leaves and doesn't carry that style into the new band. I thought that was amazing! And because of the respect of Judas Priest and the career they've had, I thought for sure Tipton and guys would opt for a different style on vox as well. But Ripper works well.

As for Maiden...man, you are the first to speak of those albums like that! I don't hear or agree with it, but I do wonder how a long time 'head like yourself hear in them? 20+ years of being a Heavy Metalhead, I shelfed "X Factor" right quick!! I heard absolutely nothing as far as Iron Maiden. Steve Harris...what the heck happened?!

NP: Slick Black Cadillac-Quiet Riot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: