HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dio Concert - A night of "Magica"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:06 am    Post subject: Dio Concert - A night of "Magica" Reply with quote

I attended the Dio show in Cedar Rapids last night. This will probably go down as one of the finest vocal performances I have ever seen in my life. The man is an absolutely impressive and powerful performer. The quality of his voice after all these years of singing is simply amazing. Dio's stage presence showed how much he enjoys performing and being able to give his performance to the fans. He genuinely enjoys singing and it shows. Not to mention that he is surrounded by incredible musicians (it is so nice to see Craig Goldy back).

With five songs off the Holy Diver album the timelessness of the material really showed how remarkable his first solo venture was. Contrasting that with the entire Magica album brought the evening full circle.

Set list in order:

• Sunset Superman
  • Invisible (Drum Solo)
  • Stand Up And Shout
  • Don't Talk To Strangers
  • All The Fools Sailed Away
  • Magica (entire album minus reprises)
  • Holy Diver
  • Heaven And Hell
  • Rainbow In The Dark
  • The Last In Line
  • Man On The Silver Mountain/Long Live Rock N Roll
  • Neon Knights

Opening bands:
Armored Saint: Had the first slot and got kind of a raw deal on the sound. Muddy low end really made it hard to distinguish the bass. Notable songs: Tribal Dance, Reign Of Fire, March Of The Saint

Lynch Mob: Guitar wizard George is back on the scene and sounding very good. All of the hits off the first two albums were performed. A new one called Waterfall also showed up. Only complaint, Lynch soloed in a couple of songs on the back of the stage facing the drummer. Hard to see his work like that.

Finally, the fans... there were some crazy people out but also some great ones... one guy I was talking to even gave me a Simon Wright drumstick because "he only collects picks".

All in all, a fabulous night. I hope that anyone out there with the chance to see Dio doesn't pass it up.

[This message has been edited by Mordax (edited 02-23-2001).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: