HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Maiden win?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:28 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

Just wondering if Maiden won the Metal Grammy (I know its a joke)?
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

No, Deftones won for "Best Metal Performance." It figures.
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 4:15 am    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

The Grammy people should go over to Webster's online and look this up:

Main Entry: clue
Pronunciation: 'klü
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of clew
Date: 1596
: something that guides through an intricate procedure or maze of difficulties; specifically : a piece of evidence that leads one toward the solution of a problem
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:55 am    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

"Brave New World" is the best Maiden album in a long time and probably the best mainstream commercial album to be nominated for a Gammy in years (since Jethro Tull [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img])
I can't beleive Deftones are even considered metal!!!
Another disgrace. [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img]
Lars37

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 11:08 am    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

Well, at least Snickers - oops, I mean crispy M&M didn't win anything outside of the (c)rap categories! It was funnier than hell to see Steely Dan win out over Whatchamacallit - oops, I mean peanut M&M, and it was good for U2 to win best song and best record ( I do like "Beautiful Day" - it's a nice little ditty ).

The "Grannys" are, and always will be, a joke and an industry circle jerk, and nothing more. Award shows are generally nothing more than back-slapping festivals, anyway...
Raider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 1:15 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

I think the writers for The Simpsons must be metal fans, because they are always making fun of the Grammy's.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 1:40 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

Yeah, the Simpsons Grammy comments are hilarious. "Don't throw your garbage down here!" And of course, after Homer calls them stupid awards, a disclaimer rolls across the bottom of the screen saying something like "The views expressed by Homer Simpson regarding the Grammies do not reflect those of this show's producers, who don't consider them to be an award at all."

One thing I just don't understand - I know a lot of you hate rap, and for the sake of simplicity, yeah, I hate rap too, but some parallels with metal I think are clear. And one of them is the "underground credibility" thing. Unlike, say, Jennifer Lopez, I think it's fairly widely understood in the rap community that sales does not equate with success.

And yet, when it comes to the Grammes, rap artists actually seem to care. I don't get it - the most transparently corporate award in the world, the major-label equivalent of "employee of the year", and yet the rap community, otherwise cheerfully willing to refuse to take the corporate side of things too seriously, seems to think it actually matters.

Metal bands all know it's nonsense - I think the best example ever was how Metallica won for a cover song when he was up against four great, established bands at the peak of their careers putting out albums of all original material (Except one cover on the Anthrax album). I don't think even Metallica really cares about them.

Ah, well. I just don't understand rap (beyond the obvious appeal of something that anybody can do), and I don't think I ever will.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 1:48 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

Yes, all these awards shows are industry circle jerks, but that doesn't make them all entirely without merit. The Grammies, I think can be completely dismissed. When's the last time you saw a sticker on an album saying that it's "Nominated For Four Grammies"? Nobody cares. Nobody remembers who won last year. Nobody releases their albums just before year's end in order to be fresh in the minds of the Grammy people.

The Oscars I think are quite a bit better. For one thing, the guests are more fun to watch and wear more interesting (and not often merely slutty) clothing. For another, yeah, the circle-jerk factor is fairly high, but these are awards that people remember, so they try not to embarrass themselves, and there are a lot of great movies that would never come to widespread attention if not for the Oscars. (not so with the great albums and the Grammies, since they're mostly concerned with how much an album has sold) For that matter, there are a lot of movies that probably would never get made if they weren't virtually guaranteed attention drawn to them by the Academy Awards.

Of all these industry awards, indeed, the Grammies are by far the dumbest, even disregarding how they've disrespected metal over the years. I don't understand why so few non-metal fans don't seem to understand this.
The Dorf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 7:40 pm    Post subject: Did Maiden win? Reply with quote

Well there's nothing more I can say about the Grammys that y'all haven't said already - and I agree with y'all completely. I pretty much figured that anybody I liked that was up for any nomination wasn't gonna win. Steely Dan winning really surprised me though for Album of the Year - Two Against Nature was an excellent disc (quit laughing).

By the way, my name for M&M is Enema, because I bet that listening to him would be a good cure for constipation. I can't imagine what a legend like Elton John would see in this loser to actually wanna do a duet with him.

What I think is so hypocritical about these gangsta rapper jackasses is how they always claim to be such strong believers in God and always thank him when getting an award, but in their "songs," they're always jacking their jaws about blasphemous stuff such as getting it on with their "ho's and bitches" (not to mention slapping them around) and getting satisfaction over capping some "n*gga" just because the dude looked at him the wrong way or was leaning on his Jaguar. It's also funny that a lot of these losers get arrested for carrying guns that aren't even registered to them. (I remember when the worst thing members of our favorite bands got arrested for was being drunk in public.) Of course, that's probably the only way they know how to fight is with guns or knives - most of them probably don't even know how to fight with their fists. Well, I'm sure God can do without those dumbsh*ts' gratitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: