HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most baffling trend ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edis0n

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:46 am    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

rotflmfao.....I just had a neon induced 80's flashback.....

Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:58 am    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

Well, I can understand the popularity of grunge on three levels. One, it really was fairly refreshing given the abundance of poofder rock at the time. Two, any kind of music that tells its listeners that they indeed are the wretched of the earth is going to strike a chord with them no matter how silly it is. Three, like rap, it's simple stuff that, really, anybody can do (though of course only a select few can do well).
Lars37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:17 am    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

The funny thing to me is, my sister-in-law participated, or still does, in ALL the trends listed except for boy bands! The Neo-hippie trend, the swing thing, the Dave Matthews crap, the grunge...ALL HER!! She is kind of annoying most of the time!!

I REALLY didn't get the swing thing - the cigars, the martinis, the Louis Prima deal...I dunno, it did NOTHING for me!
I do have to admit, though, that when I went to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra ( just before the whole thing hit hard ), his show was a lot of fun! There was a nice mix of people - greasers, parents, punks all sharing the fun! He did more of the rockabilly-with-horns deal than the straight swing at the show I saw. The second time I saw them, at the House Of Blows, he was straight swing and the ultra-trendies were out in force! Considerably less fun!!
freeride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:51 am    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

Dave Matthews Band, I'll have to agree, is some of the most annoying, crappy music I've ever heard in my life.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:23 pm    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

My brother's exactly the same way. He'll leech onto whatever trend happens to be hip at the time, and immediately jump off as soon as there's anything approaching a backlash. (the span between "I'm really getting into swing!" and "You know what I'm really getting tired of? Swing." was two weeks)

Most bizarre comment from him ever: "Hootie and the Blowfish's (first album?) is my buy-it-or-you're-stupid album of the year."
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:56 pm    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

You know what is a weird trend? People wearing shirts that said "Loser", "Fool" and various others and then would complain till they were blue in the face about trendiness. Oh wait, isn't that what I am doing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 3:44 pm    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

I, for one, liked the swing trend, at least before it was a trend. I always knew about those very cool retro-swing bars that simply catered to those who loved the music and the air of sophistication that came with it. It simply was and is not meant for vulgar mainstream sensibilities and its blink-and-you-missed-it duration of mainstream favor proved that. In all fairness, most of the GENUINE swingsters did not want their music to be made trendy and certainly haven't minded its return to their level of appreciation.
The Space Lord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why pseudo-hippy crap like Dave Matthews got popular as well. A throwback from the overtly social-conscious (unconscious, more like) music of the grunge era that preceeded it?

And the swing revival was total bullsh*t too. Whether you're a fan of big band music from the 1930's or not, does it really justify trying to imitate an era that you were never a part of? And who the hell would want to recreate the "magic" of the Depression-era 30's anyway? Wow, what a decade to be alive in. Rampant unemployment, developed nations stumbling over each other to borrow money in order to save their own economies from going to crap (which is probably a factor for World War II), appaling working conditions in factories....blah.

I think I probably took in way too much from that history course last term, but you have to admit, most of these "trends" had more to do with the highly profitable market known as "nostalgia" rather than the music itself. Our precious decade known as the 80's will go through this as well but the better aspects of that decade -- mainly the hard rock period -- will probably become comedy relief for the media, unfortunately....
keith the axe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:05 pm    Post subject: Most baffling trend ever? Reply with quote

The trend that most pisses me off is this so called metal rap trend. in my opinion those two words don`t even belong in the same sentence. it is either METAL or rap. and if these bands want to call themselves METAL stop talking about rap and by all means stop rapping!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: