HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Got Me Hooked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:31 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

GRUNGE was just a hemmeroid on the ass of MUSIC
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:50 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

So I guess I am a hemmoroid on the ass of metalheads.

Oh well.

I also remember Morbid Angel having a big influence over me. The year after Nevermind my buddies got me into Death Metal big time (imagine that, me at Catholic school with a morbid angel cd in my bag hehe)and they wouldn't let me play drums in thier band cause I was a girl. Maybe I looked to girly in that god awful uniform.

Anyways 6th grade was where I took my biggest step into the world of awesome music metal or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 11:25 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

NO NOT YOU JUST THE MUSIC I dont know I just think the whole grunge movement was empty its just like any force feed music that goes down or throats like boy bands they are mass produced no talent teens just in it for the buck same goes for them blonde biotches they dont write their own songs they probably dont even know what a scale is except the one to weigh their anorexic bodies on.
My theory on grunge is
it took the place of metal why?
ITS CALLED CORPoRATE GREED
do you honestly think the hollow sound
of grunge can hold a candle to a good ol Judas priest song didnt think so.
so what happend is the record companies decided not to promote METAL and what happens when you dont promote something? class?
sales fall.Mtv stops playing metal and there
you are at the end of the day as a Metal band
looking for a job at burger king.
kids it takes radio and tv and the record stores to make a genre of music viable if all you are going to hear is LIKIN PARK how do you think great metal band will ever get their message out (not everyone has a pc) and metal shouldnt be underground its as viable as country and since radio stations are owned by one entity/ies instead of private owners you chance of this to happen is a SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL.
MetalLurch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:15 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

Aerosmith's "Dream On" was the song that made me appreciate straight-out rock and started my decline into the hard stuff. I had heard plenty of the music that AM pop\rock stations played before then, but none of those groups had the same impact on me (AM radio was fairly bland).
rockin500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:24 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I didnt get into hard rock/metal until 1994. The first thing I remember is Motley's Shout at the Devil and GNR's Welcome to the Jungle. Those were the first two songs that kickstarted me into hard rock and then a month later I got into Metallica (Justice for All and Black albums). After that, I couldnt get enough of metal. I might have started at age 16, but I have made up for lost time since then. (i didnt really listen to music at all before then.)
Butchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:29 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

My first favorite rock song was Start me up by The Stones, I also liked If you want my love by Cheap Trick around the same time. Then I found Kiss! That turned my head towards metal and I bought both Van Halen 1984 and Motley Crue Shout at the Devil in late'83.
Blue Öyster Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:33 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

One thing I left out is why I like 80's rock. I don't know why I like it. There is a sound that is universal to songs from the 80's. One of my favorite songs from that decade is Melt With You by Modern English. Also, I love Burnin' For You by BOC. Those two songs are very different, but you can tell they came from the 80's. You can ALWAYS tell when a song is from the 80's. Sometimes songs from an earlier decade have the 80's sound, but that is rare. Hell, I'm not even totally sure that Melt With You is 80's, but it has that sound. A little bit off topic, but I had to type this up before I forgot about it.

BTW: My friend absolutely HATES Stairway To Heaven. I can understand if he does not like it because it is played to death, but HATING it? That makes me wonder [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

For me I was into [b]Blondie[/b] and [b]Billy Joel[/b] (8-tracks baby!!!) when I was about 8 - 10 years old. Then in the early 80's it was [b]Journey[/b]. I really got into the [i]Escape[/i] album. I dug the ballads but the tune [i]Escape[/i] really got me into the heavier guitar sound. At the same time I would listen to my brothers older [b]Styx[/b] albums.

I think the turning point was [b]Ozzy's[/b] [i]Diary of a Madman[/i]. From then on I just got on the course of heavy stuff, [b]Leppard, Maiden, Priest, Metallica,[/b] etc. By the time I was in high school 99% of what I listened to was metal. Of course this was the mid-eighties so I was going against the grain of the [b]Beastie Boys, Run DMC[/b](who wouldn't have gotten as big as they were without [b]Aerosmith[/b] by the way) crowd. Don't get me wrong some of my good friends were into rap so it was hard not to hear it and in some cases I enjoyed it.

One of my better friends, Mark was into both rap and metal so he and I really got into listening to stuff that no one else was into at the time like [b]Helloween, Slayer, Savatage,[/b] etc.

By the time I got to college in '88' it was all metal, speed, power, thrash, glam, hair, you name it. I just got sucked into the whole attitude and just purely enjoying the energy from live shows. The sad thing is I never "looked" the part. I never had the long hair and was always jealous of the dudes that had it with the chicks hanging all over them. I look back now and see how I was really into the stage and back stage stuff just as much as the music. I would just walk around before the show watching the roadies put everything together and thought how awesome it was that they could put this stuff together every night. Especially a show like [b]Maiden[/b] where I read that they had two identical stages set up in two separate cities because they had such a time consuming set up.

Well now I'm 31 and metal is still 80%-90% of what I listen to. During school and the past 8 years I've expanded my listening tastes which accounts for the 10%-20% drop.
This brings me to a question for some of the older generation:
Have your listening tastes changed much as you've become older? Even when I was a teen I was told that I'd outgrow this loud obnoxious music and get more serious. Although I've expanded my tastes when all is said and done I want to hear the heavy stuff.
I have to admit that when my wife and baby aren't around I crank up the 1979 Pioneer amplifier powered stereo (passed down to me from my dad) and play some serious and quite foolish air guitar.

Anyway, I hope I never outgrow metal. I can picture myself at 90 in some nursing home cranking up the [b]Helloween[/b] and pissing off everyone.
[img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:37 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked Reply with quote

nuclear_x-

I think saying, "GRUNGE was just a hemmeroid on the ass of MUSIC" is a little too broad of a generalization. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were two great bands, who would both be classified as grunge. I think just like any genre of metal, only a few select bands are worth listening to.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: