HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars37

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 11:02 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

Unfortunately, what happened to MTV is that the teenagers who they catered to in the "metal years" grew older, and were replaced by the grunge teenagers, then the rap teenagers, etc. etc. MTV is a commercial. It is a promotional tool for the recording industry ( when it bothers to play music videos at all ), and who buys more CD's than anyone else? 14-year-old girls. Don't believe me? I just saw a graphic in the paper about the 10 highest first-week-of-release sales in "the history of recorded music" ( there really should be some dramatic music behind that phrase as it's being said by James Earl Jones! ), and surprise, surprise! All but ONE of the top ten were either recorded by N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears or Michael Jackson. The only exception? Pearl Jam.
The point is, MTV caters to the kids buying the CD's, and that ain't us anymore ( not in big enough numbers, anyway ), so it ain't our station anymore. Simple as that.
The MTV20 thing was a nostalgia show, a patting-itself-on-the-back exercise in self-love, and all I saw of it was a pasty, tired-looking Billy Idol puffing his way through "Rebel Yell". If THAT doesn't kill ticket sales to his shows, nothing will! I saw that he wanted $47 per ticket - unbelievable...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: