HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:28 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

I didn't see it, but this really pisses me off! I love how people call metal "devil music." I don't think I'd be wrong if I said Satan is the president of MTV.

Its all about money people, that's what it has come down to. The saddest thing is music has become about as commercial as Pop Tarts. There is no more integrity. The bands that still play for the music don't really sell anymore...and that's a sad comment of society.

To skew a quote from the Joker, 'This world needs an enima.'
Mordax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

FYI, if anyone ABSOLUTELY has to hear Rob's performance, I grabbed it off my DirecTV into my computer to WAV. Converted it in MP3... its about 1:30 long so its not too big. I only have the Halford part.

Send me a private msg. with the email you want it sent to.
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:20 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

This little MTV20 event was nothing but a g-d damn embarrassment. It was so painful just to sit through that noise. Sum 41??!! weren't these the same losers that totally disrespected metal at the end of their "Fat Lip" video? and now they're sucking up to Halford, Un-f*cking-believable! Oh Icarus, Sum 41 isn't a nu-metal band, they're another one of those crappy mall-punk bands in the same vein as Blink 182, Green Day, New Found Glory, Lagwagon, etc... they all suck!!! Rob kissing MTV's a$$ was the real pisser though. Yeah Rob, kiss the networks a$$ that virtually tried to bury your career. He pretty much pissed whatever credibility he had left down the leg of his pants. What a dark day for metal
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:16 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

I was just pissed that the segment wasn't longer. Who cares what they said? Halford has always been good at looking sincere. I wouldn't doubt that he doesn't care what band was up there with him. It could have been Naughty by Nature and he would have said the same thing and then gone home.

I also must point out that since our society runs on money, we can't just be bashing on people and organizations who try to make it. Kiss makes money and people kindof half laugh it off, but once someone we don't like starts making money everyone smells corruption. Listen everyone in Motley Crue is an a$$hole and none of them(maybe with exception of Tommy Lee) ever had any real musical talent. The only reason you don't mind paying them instead of Sum 41 is that you happen to like the Crue more. I do too, but what's with all this talk about money and mtv is corrupting this and mtv is corrupting that. Blah blah blah. Mtv is a piece of sh!t station. get over it already.

This reminds me of a quote John Lynch once said about Dokken(after leaving)- "Their next album should be called beating a dead horse. The cover should show a dead horse and they should all be holding bats and hitting it"

When does the new Slayer come out?
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:02 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

The whole reason behind the MTV bashing is that some of us remember MTV actually being GOOD, that is until they decided metal was out and loser rock was in. Once they saw that depressed teenagers equaled $$$$$$$, it became a whole new ballgame. I can't believe that so many people are willng to settle for 3rd rate music. I would love for metal to be popular again, you know why? because the music scene reflects whats going on in society, and generally speaking, good music reflects a positive vibe in society. As long as people like MTV know that the general public is willing to settle for less, thats what they're going to continue giving us, LESS!
Starbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:55 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

Ive noticed Rob on MTV & VH1 a few times since he 'came out of the closet'...

more so, than other 'metal' musicians, IMO.

I sometimes wonder if they're not trying to remind (in their opinion) 'traditionally homophobic' metalheads, that one of their 'idols' was gay...not so much that we forget, but as a constant jab...

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass (as, at the very least, I feel it has NO impact, whatsoever, on his music), but I am sure there are many, who are somewhat rankled by it. I wonder if MTV intends to rub their faces in it...

Or maybe they're just predisposed to his favor because of the lifestyle. Notice how there always had to be one gay person on 'The Real World' (as if by mere happenstance)

just my thoughts, maybe Im reading a bit much into it (but maybe not)

-Marty
st_hood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:59 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

The big Media Giants (mtv incl.) have decided that they can sell more of one album than severial artist that sell themselves. They dress up 5 pretty boys and have them dance. It's good music for children.
How come no one mentioned that Halford's studio and live album rock!? They are must haves. Blaze's "Silicon Messiah" also. I just hope Rob got a big fat paycheck! ROCK ON, HALFORD! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:25 am    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

quote:
[b]I've noticed Rob on MTV & VH1 a few times since he 'came out of the closet'...
more so, than other 'metal' musicians, IMO.
I sometimes wonder if they're not trying to remind (in their opinion) 'traditionally homophobic' metalheads, that one of their 'idols' was gay...not so much that we forget, but as a constant jab...
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass (as, at the very least, I feel it has NO impact, whatsoever, on his music), but I am sure there are many, who are somewhat rankled by it. I wonder if MTV intends to rub their faces in it...

Or maybe they're just predisposed to his favor because of the lifestyle. Notice how there always had to be one gay person on 'The Real World' (as if by mere happenstance)

just my thoughts, maybe Im reading a bit much into it (but maybe not)

-Marty[/b]

Good point. I've always said this and totaly agree with you starbreaker. I've always thought that networks like MTV try to constantly show that they're "alternative" to the mainstream by playing to the minorities such as gay's & various ethnic groups. That whole Real World thing is a perfect example. It's almost like they're trying to be controversial without realy doing it. Everything they do over at MTV is planned and contrived to make money and that's it! If gay's are in then that's what gets incorporated into the lineup somehow (the sad thing is that most or all of the executives are probably totaly offended by the gay lifestyle and would never admit it for fear of being out in trial in the public eye). If swing music shows a hint of being popular that's what they'll push. If it's the latin sound same deal. Then, when it's all said and done, MTV will try to take the credit for inventing or bringing back the fad while still trying to remain "alternative" It's so obvious when they show crap like the [b]Backstreet Boys[/b] and all of the other boy bands until they saturate the market. Now all of a sudden it's cool to have a bunch of white dudes singing prefabricated sh.it. Remember when it was the black and more ethnicly mixed boy groups like [b]Boys to Men[/b] and [b]Color Me Bad[/b]? It was even hairbands for a while.

I guess what I'm saying is the more "alternative" MTV pretends to be the more mainstream they realy are. We're probably better off not seeing [b]Nevermore[/b] and [b]Angel Dust[/b] on that network.
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:42 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
[b]Unfortunately, what happened to MTV is that the teenagers who they catered to in the "metal years" grew older, and were replaced by the grunge teenagers, then the rap teenagers, etc. etc. MTV is a commercial. It is a promotional tool for the recording industry ( when it bothers to play music videos at all ), and who buys more CD's than anyone else? 14-year-old girls. Don't believe me? I just saw a graphic in the paper about the 10 highest first-week-of-release sales in "the history of recorded music" ( there really should be some dramatic music behind that phrase as it's being said by James Earl Jones! ), and surprise, surprise! All but ONE of the top ten were either recorded by N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears or Michael Jackson. The only exception? Pearl Jam.
The point is, MTV caters to the kids buying the CD's, and that ain't us anymore ( not in big enough numbers, anyway ), so it ain't our station anymore. Simple as that.
The MTV20 thing was a nostalgia show, a patting-itself-on-the-back exercise in self-love, and all I saw of it was a pasty, tired-looking Billy Idol puffing his way through "Rebel Yell". If THAT doesn't kill ticket sales to his shows, nothing will! I saw that he wanted $47 per ticket - unbelievable...[/b]

All good points, but you have to remember, back in 1982, MTV wasn't nessecarily going after teenagers. Yeah granted there was some teenybopper stuff like Duran Duran on there, but general atmosphere of the channel was that there was something there for everyone. See, I miss those days. I miss seeing videos like Triumph's "Say Goodbye" or Aldo Nova's "Monkey On Your Back" Back in 1982-83, they weren't trying to cater to one particular audience but rather, aim for people from all different musical interests. Although, the Rob Halford performance with Sub 41 a MTV20 was a joke, the whole thing was still cool to watch for nostalgia reasons (except for that barf inducing rap performance, YUCK!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: