HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nevermore - now I'm discouraged.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:37 am    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

All this time I've been hearing from everyone about how great Nevermore are, and I've vowed that when I get the chance to spend some money I'll get a couple of their CDs. In the meantime, I downloaded a song of theirs from the Century Media website, to give me an idea of what to expect. Now, I thought it was ok, but not earth shattering, but I figured that they would have many better songs, they're not likely to give away their best track. However, that track was Dead Riverdragon Has Come, which I see everyone is saying is their favourite Nevermore song!! I've given it a few listens and still just think it's ok, so I'm wondering now whether to get some of their CDs. Maybe things would be better in the context of an album, rather than just a one-off song....what do you reckon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Subtraction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:25 am    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

In my experience listening to the samples on the website is just no good wether it be a whole song or not. The quality is just bad. But on the other hand you might just not like them that much. I really love them but at the same time think that they are overrated. But I think that buying at least one of thier albums would do you some good hehe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:46 am    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

PaulEMoz-

Tough to say. I would say that "River Dragon" is one of their best songs. However, their sound is very diverse. Their previous two CDs are very disimilar. In my opinion, you should always do everything you can to listen to a CD before purchasing it. You also should consider that you might have been expecting too much.

I would definitely do everything you could to check out "Dreaming Neon Black" and "Dead Heart in a Dead World". As I have said before, I don't put any other artist's work in a league with these two CDs. And in my opinion, "Dead Heart" is a new stage in the evolution of music.

GZ
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

While I agree with the General's appraisal of Nevermore's albums, I'd have to disagree with respect to how much value you yourself might find in them.

_Dreaming Neon Black_ and _Dead Heart In A Dead World_ (and to a lesser extent, _The Politics Of Ecstasy_) are to my mind not only great albums but very important albums, in their thoughtful, never-ridiculous-for-a-moment mixture of melody and atonality, fury and fear, grace and ugliness, built upon the "language" of metal which no other genre can credibly work in. Metal has been playing with these things for a long time, but I don't think it's ever been pulled off like this.

You're a big Yngwie fan - so I do think you might like Jeff Loomis's playing a lot. Yngwie is actually the first guy I think of when I think of Jeff's playing - not really in style, but in the same fluid, impeccable grace. Jeff is more fond of atonalities than Yngwie, of course (could anyone be LESS fond of them than Yngwie?), and his solos tend to be brief and oddly structured, but his solos are, to my ears, some of the best around. That solo in "The Heart Collector" would make Brian May very proud.

So, in terms of overall songwriting, I suspect that Nevermore's most overtly melodic works would appeal to you the most - their self-titled debut, and the EP _In Memory_. The latter in particular is probably the more melodic of the two, though I don't know how easy it is to find these days. I still see it around sometimes, but I have heard that it's become a little hard to find.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:26 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

Don't worry Paul man, I'm not overly obsessed with Nevermore either. I've seen them live and they were solid/very good. I do like Dreaming Neon Black a fair amount, but Dead Heart doesn't grab me for some reason.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:37 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

Thanks for your input so far, gang, lots of nicely made points there. I definitely do intend getting at least one Nevermore album (along with Iced Earth....I did like "Dracula", the only song of theirs that I've really heard), I need some "new" bands to listen to and these two are the most highly talked about it seems. If I'm not too keen, well, doesn't hurt to try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ogre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:35 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

I am STILL missing out on the Nevermore phenomenon. It kind of bothers me, too.

I will even go a step further than PaulEMoz and say that I can recognize that Nevermore is a very talented band and their songs are very high quality, yet I am still unable to "like" the songs. I gave DHIADW yet another go around this past weekend while doing some home repairs, thinking that maybe I just needed to hear the music again after putting it aside for several weeks and then I would "get it." Unfortunately, I still don't get it. I see that I probably should (given that Nevermore is hugely popular with a number of posters with whom I share musical tastes), but I just don't get it still.

By the way, not to be a dummy, but what is the story behind "The River Dragon Has Come?"
Ungodly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:36 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

I myself have not purchased any of their cd's. However I have seen them live when they opened up for Mercyful Fate. I loved the music but I just couldn't get into the vocals.I have to say that I get tired of hearing the same old growl and screech but there was just something about the vocals that turned me off.

The music kicks total ass though and these guys are extremly cool as they hung out in the crowd before and after their set.

Slayer!!
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: Nevermore - now I'm discouraged. Reply with quote

Ungodly you've got to get Dead Heart in a Dead World. It is very heavy and the lyrics are dark and very intelligent.Sound bites and samples just don't do anything justice.I don't see how everyone on this board does'nt luv this band.They've got all the makings of a great metal band & are one of the top true newer metal bands 4sure.I highly recommend Dreaming Neon Black & Dead Heart...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: