HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ooky, spooky stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:27 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

In the Halloween spirit, name some songs that are scary, eerie, or just downright evil sounding.

Me first:
Ozzy- Bloodbath in paradise. The opening backwards speaking is just creepy.

King Diamond- Amon belongs to them, victimized, abigail, etc. King diamond has some of the eeriest stuff out there.

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath. Probably the most evil song ever made.
Stark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:37 am    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

E5150 - Black Sabbath
Damaged - Queenryche
Butchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:03 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

White Zombie "Blood, Milk, and Sky" Very haunting rhythym, reminds me of a sacrificial cerimony.

Alice In Chains "Angry Chair" Has a very horror-esque melody.

Ozzy "Diary of a Madman" The great thing about Ozzy's first 2 albums besides Rhoades is the rhythym section of Kerskake and Daisley. Listen to how they haunt this track.

Megadeth "Go To Hell" Straight ahead metal song with some evil lyrics, and the video was very disturbing.

Pantera "10's" Very dark song, reminds me of someone dying alone and very conciously aware of that fact.
rockin500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:53 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

Type O Negative's Haunted is pretty eerie. Feels like I am in a cemetary or the like.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 4:30 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

Nevermore's _Dreaming Neon Black_ - the whole thing.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to _Alien_.

Alice In Chains' "Angry Chair", as previously mentioned.

Much of Arcturus' _La Masquerade Infernale_ has an "evil carnival" vibe to it.

Ayreon's "My House On Mars", with vocals by Tiamat's Johann Edlund, has this awesomely lonely vibe to it which, like the Pantera song mentioned above, feels like dying alone. (so much as a song can capture that...so much as I can honestly imagine what that feels like)

Bal-Sagoth's "The Dreamer In The Catacombs Of Ur" is a great, fun-scary-evil song, and "Spellcraft And Moonfire (Beyond The Citadel Of Frosts)" has a hilariously cheesy, "evil" riff in it which just has to be heard.

Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath", of course. Also, "After All (The Dead)", and that last song on _Dehumanizer_, dammit, the title escapes me.

The Bronx Casket Co., The Kovenant and Babylon Whores all have a similar sort of "60's-teen-horror" vibe as, say, White Zombie, though their sounds are quite different from WZ.

Concrete Blonde's "Jenny I Read" has always creeped me out massively.

Alice Cooper of course has made a career off of this, but not always in a way which asks you to take it seriously - so, for that, I'd pick the first couple of albums...actually, they're not technically the first...so, _Love It To Death_ and _Killer_.

Cradle Of Filth obviously goes for this too, but I don't think they're as good at it as Dimmu Borgir, particularly on Dimmu's most recent two albums - total sci-fi-gothic-horror all the way. Like _Event Horizon_ put to music.

The first track on Darkthrone's _Transylvanian Hunger_ is great - extremely simple, but effective. The rest - which is pretty much a subpar take on the same idea, repeated 7 more times - I can do without.

While sounding "evil" is the goal of almost all black metal, I don't think anybody was ever as good at it as Emperor. In particular, take "I Am The Black Wizards", "Ensorcelled By Khaos", and "Curse You All Men".

Forbidden had a really "cinematic" approach to songwriting which really emphasized an intense climax. Particular standouts are "Forbidden Evil", "Twisted Into Form", and "One Foot In Hell".

Grip, Inc. has a bitchin' song called "Scream At The Sky" in which a simple one-note guitar chug manages to sound a lot like violins (!), and I think it's got a really cool, spooky vibe to it.

Iced Earth has obviously been going for the horror-fantasy thing in a big way ever since they started.

Old Man's Child brings the evil vibe (and vocals) of black metal to a more thrash-based sound. Susperia is also a good example of this, though the guys in Susperia are, reportedly, all pretty nice guys with no illusions about being evil or anything.

Overkill's "Gasoline Dream" I always found to be intense enough to be a little scary.

A lot of Prong's works were very atmospheric...not quite "spooky", but almost there. Ditto for Skrew.

For the "blast of terryfing evil black metal" thing, Satyricon's _Nemesis Divina_ and one Marduk song I heard called, apparently, "Christraping Black Metal" do the trick.

Slayer has definitely had their scary/evil moments - my favorite is probably the climax of "Gemini".

Type O Negative - heh heh. Just how seriously anybody wants to take this band is up to them, but yeah, they're easily the best at what they do and they have a lot of cool spooky moments..."Creepy Green Light", "All Hallows Eve", "Haunted", their covers of "Paranoid" and "Black Sabbath", and "Wolf Moon". Hey, it's autumn, and I've barely listened to any TON yet. Better get on it! Hey, that's another idea for a thread...
Raider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:00 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

I think that the two long songs on CoF's "Vempire" MCD are quite wicked sounding.

The creepiest CD I've ever heard is Anteus' "Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan". The songs themselves are sorta creepy, but it's the intros that really get you. Not the typical BM intros at all.

In Ruins has some creepy moments on their CD, I forget it's name.

It's very scary just how bad that Black Funeral CD was.

The REAL version of Mayhem's "Funeral Fog" (on "Live in Leipzig") has a creepy, otherwordly feel.
P-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Dark Reign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:58 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

I always thought "Beyond the doors of the dark" from Savatage had a semi-evil sound to it........
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:09 pm    Post subject: ooky, spooky stuff Reply with quote

Yeah I think Beyond the Doors of the Dark is a pretty wicked song. I was going to add Midas Knight as well as some of their other 80s stuff.

Reign in Blood is the scariest album I've ever heard that still keeps one attentive. I've heard stuff that is more psychotic, but it tends to get convoluted and really cheesy and forced sounding. Slayer did it best here. I don't know if I like South of Heaven more as an album or not, but this is the album that is the most insane.

There is some song on a Necropolis records compilation that consists solely of sounds of a woman either being beaten to death or getting raped. Which ever it is, it is sick and that is probably the most disturbing song I have ever heard.

Also lots of Emperor and Opeth.

And from Alice Cooper, the Ballad of Dwight Fry. That may be one of the most disturbing songs ever without actually having disturbing sounds of beaten women in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: