HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erasing history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
live4metal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 12:14 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I would erase Hall & Oats from existance! They ruined rock with their catchy pop tunes and bad hair cuts! Who knows where rock could have gone without these 2 evil bastards and their plot to destroy heavy metal as we know it.Damn Hall & Oats...DAMN THEM TO HELL!
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars37:
[B]Just one, huh?

You know, this is a tougher call than you'd think, but I pick Aerosmith. What started out as a second-rate Mick and Keith knockoff has deteriorated into a schmaltzy ballad band, and Steven Tyler is one of the most obnoxious, in-love-with-himself frontmen ( can't really call him a "singer" ) in the history of rock and roll."

YEH HE'S A GREAT SINGER.

"Nirvana didn't kill rock, they replaced The First Wave Of Mall Metal, and that whole batch of foofy-haired Spandex power-balladeers deserved to go...in my opinion, of course."

AND OF COURSE , IT'S A BAD ONE.

" The puffsters erased REAL metal from the public opinion, and changed the perception of metal into a fruity-colored cartoon."

AND IF YOU CALL BANDS LIKE POISON , CINDERELLA , TESLA , BON JOVI ETC. ETC. 'METAL' THEN YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH AN IDIOT...BUT THEN I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT.
brianscriv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:47 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I like Nirvana. I'd definitely would have to say Korn.
Skull Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:54 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

It would definitely have to be sombody that has had a negative impact on hard music. Nirvana wasnt [i]that[/i] bad, but there are others that have contributed to the downfall of good music.

For me, I would have to pick some old school 'hip hop' or R&B band...

--------------------

[url=http://www.BlackLabelSociety.net]www.BlackLabelSociety.net[/url]
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:54 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

Nah. Just prefer the traditional stuff (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Purple, Heep, Rainbow, Dio, etc etc). [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Lars37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:24 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

So we're back to the CAPS, eh, MfanOf80's?

Didn't expect you to agree with my "stupid" opinion, and prety much expected the typical MFanof80's response - not much has really changed, has it?
If someone disagrees with your love of the spandex and FinalNet bands, you go ape$hit, as usual.
And for the record, I DON'T consider Poison, Cinderella, etc. to be metal, but *ONCE AGAIN* you miss the point. Those atrocities replaced "REAL" metal in the minds of the record buying public, thereby pushing good metal back into the underground. In the meantime, we get force-fed drivel like White Lion and Firehouse, until Nirvana did the world a favor by rendering the hair-and-tights crew irrelevant in a matter of days!
If that poofy cheesy "power ballad" junk were any good, wouldn't it have taken more than ONE good album to destroy it completely?
If you've noticed, the VAST majority of Hair Metal bands didn't go underground, they went away. Know why? They were only in it for the short term. There are still some sad sacks kicking around the clubs, like Enuff Z'Nuff and the like, but aside from the occasional "Hey, Remember The 80's??" package tour, I don't see too much of the Hair crowd. Maybe they've gone bald, or gotten too fatm to fit into the spandex, who knows?
...and Steven Tyler's a great singer, you're right - uh huh.....suuuuuuuure....
And the name-calling's back too, eh, PMAOR? Yep, the name can change, but not much else does...too bad.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:30 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I am partially going to agree with Lars37. I don't think Nirvana killed metal, only MTV Metal. And that sub-genre was dying a slow and painful death anyway. Not because it was all necessarily bad, but as Lars37 correctly pointed out, it had become a parody of itself. However, I wouldn't want to erase Aerosmith's influence from rock. They clearly had a huge influence on a lot of great bands (Motley Crue and Guns-n-Roses come to mind). Although, let's not kid ourselves, Aerosmith have recently sold their musical souls.

By the way, I'm not sure how anyone could ever put Poison and Tesla in the same sentence (musically). Could these two bands possibly be any more disimilar? Does anyone who has seen Tesla live, think these guys would even know how to apply hair spray, much less mascara?

If it's OK with Tyranno, I'm going to come at this from a different angle. MTV has damaged music more than any one band could ever hope to. While crap music existed before MTV, MTV made it OK to sound bad, so long as you looked good. Music, with the exception of concerts, is not supposed to be a visual medium. And consequently, MTV has forced bands to spend too much time concerned with the visual. White Lion is a perfect example of this. They wrote some good songs, and Vito could play his ass off. But does anyone honestly think that Mike Tramp could have fronted a band if he didn't have the look that he does?

GZ
Lars37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

PMAOR,

...typical...funny stuff, your sad little reply...and your "zingers" really hurt - if you think all hair-band haters are wearing flannel, I can only IMAGINE what you're wearing! Glow-in-the-dark yellow spandex and a fashionably ripped "Talk Dirty To Me" T-shirt, perhaps? HA!

Zod,

I knew YOU'd get my point, and I respect your disagreement. My problem with Aerosmith's affect was more along the lines of Buckcherry and that ilk, but I can see the GNR influence as well.

And I'd rather listen to almost anything other than "When The Children Cry" or other such manure! What a CLASSIC!
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
[b]I am partially going to agree with Lars37. I don't think Nirvana killed metal, only MTV Metal. And that sub-genre was dying a slow and painful death anyway. Not because it was all necessarily bad, but as Lars37 correctly pointed out, it had become a parody of itself. However, I wouldn't want to erase Aerosmith's influence from rock. They clearly had a huge influence on a lot of great bands (Motley Crue and Guns-n-Roses come to mind). Although, let's not kid ourselves, Aerosmith have recently sold their musical souls.
[/b]

I agree, that this poofder-rock was already on the way out by the time Nirvana came along. The more talented bands of the sort were growing up - maybe a little gradually, but they were - and the less talented ones were pretty much going downhill at this time anyway.

quote:
[b]If it's OK with Tyranno, I'm going to come at this from a different angle. MTV has damaged music more than any one band could ever hope to. While crap music existed before MTV, MTV made it OK to sound bad, so long as you looked good. Music, with the exception of concerts, is not supposed to be a visual medium. And consequently, MTV has forced bands to spend too much time concerned with the visual. White Lion is a perfect example of this. They wrote some good songs, and Vito could play his ass off. But does anyone honestly think that Mike Tramp could have fronted a band if he didn't have the look that he does?

GZ[/b]

Excellent point. And, yeah, Tramp sounds like a little girl. Whatever happened to Vito? I liked Vito.

Also, it helps to realize that MTV, even moreso than mainstream radio, is all about singles and nothing else. Radio only plays singles because that's all they're really much allowed to play. MTV plays singles because that's literally all they have - and how many hard rock/metal albums are well-served by being represented by their singles?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: