HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Got Me Hooked: Part II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Öyster Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 4:02 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

I have postid this topic before, but there are some new metalheads and classic rock enthusiasts on the board and I was wondering what got them into thier favorite genre. Me, it was Buck Dharma's solo in Don't Fear The Reaper that got me to buy the Album that got me to buy more albums that got me into all forms of rock. And I got into old-school punk after a friend of mine lent me a mix of the Ramones and the Velvet Underground.

Anyway, for those of you who are new to the board since April 1, 2001, please tell us all what got you hooked on rock.
metalblood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:40 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

When I was very young my sister (who was a few years older)controlled what was listened to in the car. This being the only place I listened to music. So I liked what she liked, which often changed. Then she got into a hard rock/metal phase and I was hooked. The first band that I really got into was AC/DC.
brianscriv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:47 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

I think Metallica's Black Album in 5th grade. Probably the same for lots of other people my age. Strangely though i didnt listen to Sabbath (w/Ozzy) until 8th grade and that was just on Randy Rhoads Tribute CD and I listened to Sabbath w/Dio before i even knew who Ozzy was on the Waynes World Soundtrack but didnt really take much notice until years later in 8th grade.
brianscriv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:51 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

As for underground metal, unfortunately I had to wait until probably 10th grade when I first heard Trouble from Martin Popoff's Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal CD. That book (not to sound cheasy and a suckup because if i was i would have bought his other books which i havent) and the Internet got me into underground metal. Unfortunately I didnt take notice of Iced Earth on it until about a year later. And ironically that song on there "The Hunter" is my favorite Iced Earth song and one of my top 10 favorite songs by any band.
Eh P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:29 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

Having my Mom buy a James Taylor record in 1971, only to crack it open and find Alice Cooper's Love It To Death inside.

I loved it, and that little twist of fate started me on the path of rock fandom.
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 6:20 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

I used to hear my older brother playing guitar along to Iron Maiden , Priest , Ozzy , BOC and Deep Purple when i was a kid and i could feel only POWER coming from that room.
So i started learning to play keyboards at 14 (my twin bro was learning guitar so i wasn't gonna copy him) and collecting cd's around 15 years old.
M.I.T.C.H.!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 8:21 pm    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

My parents were into some good 70s rock (Heart, Jefferson Starship etc.), but when I was 4 they hired a babysitter who would bring over records to play when she sat for me. I just remember hearing, and staring at the cover, of Kiss Alive! and just being mesmerized. Later I would get into Led Zep, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Sweet, Slade, Cheap Trick, Van Halen etc etc thanks to her record collection. So, Kay (my babysitter 26 years ago) if you're out there somewhere....I salute you. (throws the horns)
Cyrokk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 1:41 am    Post subject: What Got Me Hooked: Part II Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly, but I think it started with hearing AC/DC's Dirty Deeds in the late 70's.. then a couple years later I bought Back in Black and Maiden's Number of the Beast.. Zeppelin forced me to learn guitar, and Burton era Metallica forced me to practice it..

I haven't looked back since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: