HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FALCON:
Hey, I really dig that Soil disc too, keep forgeting bout that one, and I really need to lend an ear to the Devin-T effort, though the previous solo "Physicst" disc, that one leaves me NULL, can't quite digest?

_Physicist_ is good but a little one-dimensional (that one dimension being caustic-but-shiny and kinda happy aggression) - even Devin himself realized soon afterward that while it was enough to satisfy the fans for a while, he could've done better. _Terria_ is much more atmospheric, introspective, mellow, and varied in style, totally accessible as well, but still as loud as anything Devin's done.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Demolition is better than Brave New World??? ...thats just ridiculous.

BNW bored me to blood-dripping death..._Demolition_ was silly, lightweight, and beneath the mighty Priest, but it didn't bore me to blood-dripping death.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by pontiouspirate:
IM SHOCKED YOUR NUMBER 4 BEST SONG IS ICED EARTH'S "im-ho-tep" which to me is a good song, but still hardly breathtaking (in my opinion) anyway. best egyptian song ever, hardly freedom call beats them with a song called "PHAROAH" AND EDGUY RELEASED A MEISTERWORK "PHAROAH" THATS 10:36 LONG AND IS ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING. SORRY BUT THESE 2 BEAT OUT ICED EARTH EASILY---CHECK THEM OUT IM SURE YO WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND IF YOUR MIND CAN BE OPENED.

I admittedly haven't heard either song, but IHT certainly and easily beats every Egyptian-themed metal song I've heard. Generally, I don't like these songs - they usually bury the band under a massive cheese avalanche. But this one really captured the vibe it was going for in a way no other song's pulled off.
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[QUOTE]Ozzy and Megadeth easily fell into those bottom ten. They're more mediocre than bad, true, but I don't really have any more time for the mediocre than I do for the bad.

I don't own either album, but nothing I've heard from them suggests they might actually be bad. I think the issue of relevance has to come into play here. None of the bands on the top ten list are really playing in the same league (although given a few more years Iced Earth may give Megadeth a run for their money).
Raider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
None of the bands on the top ten list are really playing in the same league
I'll say it again--sales and trendy popularity are a horrible way to decide which metal bands are the greats. Or at least current greats. Ozzy had his day, but no matter how much he sells now, unless he can put out an album that is musically superior to lesser-known bands, he ain't as good as them. This isn't the pop or R&B scene. Metal isn't about the popularity, it's about the quality of the music.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Desslar:
None of the bands on the top ten list are really playing in the same league (although given a few more years Iced Earth may give Megadeth a run for their money).[/QB]

In terms of? As for quality of catalog, I think Iced Earth has surpassed Megadeath. I apologize if you are a huge Megadeath fan, but to my ears IE is light years better than Megadeath ever was. While Megadeath was cool, and Dave wrote some bad ass licks back in the day, he may just be the worst singer I've ever heard. I was always a Meageath fan, and own most of their catalog, but I was never blown away by them

GZ
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Tyranno's 2001 Top Ten's (and a Top Five) Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Raider:
[QUOTE]]I'll say it again--sales and trendy popularity are a horrible way to decide which metal bands are the greats. Or at least current greats. Ozzy had his day, but no matter how much he sells now, unless he can put out an album that is musically superior to lesser-known bands, he ain't as good as them. This isn't the pop or R&B scene. Metal isn't about the popularity, it's about the quality of the music.

True, but Ozzy is still Ozzy, which is something the other bands listed will never be. High quality or not, is it truly possible to succeed in obscurity?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: