HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XM Satellite Radio..... Garbage.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what about Sirius? Is the selection better? Is there stations there that play Nightwish, Symphony X, Brainstorm, Evergrey, etc. Do they have good classic rock stations that play bands like Rainbow, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, etc.? If not, then it would not be worth it!
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Valhallen"]Well, what about Sirius? Is the selection better? Is there stations there that play Nightwish, Symphony X, Brainstorm, Evergrey, etc. Do they have good classic rock stations that play bands like Rainbow, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, etc.? If not, then it would not be worth it![/quote]

I've tried Sirius- not bad. I still prefer to stick to whole albums [I've got enough waiting to be listened to as it is], but it has some decent stations. One of them has classic 80s metal [though a lot is glam]. I recall them playing Dokken, Sleeze Beeze and Dream Theatre. Another station plays contemporary metal, but that sometimes included the new Halford [Crucible had just come out], and I think even some gothenburg. It's not so bad this Sirius stuff. They have other stations that play rock/hardrock/metal stadium anthems [cum on feel the noise, We will Rock you type stuff]. I wouldn't want it myself, but it's got something on there. Add another station that isn't as focused on melodic hardrock [more focused on powermetal or 80s heavy metal that isn't glam] then it would probably be pretty good for you guys, but it's still not that bad right now.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you know? I have been trying to log into this account for some time, and even emailed several times for my password with no response. Now I come back and see a post of mine from a long time ago at the top! Then I go to log in to my account and it automatically logs me in. Strange, but nice.

Still, I like the idea of a streaming internet player over satellite. There are some awesome online stations.
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the latest Stern announcements and Opie and Anthony as well, there are still alot of question marks around satellite radio...which by the way we pioneered with the Z-Rock satellite network in '86.

Many are wondering if Sirius is going to still be operating by the time Stern makes the switch.

The biggest changes we've noticed lately as far as business models is when Sirius put most of their feeds up for free on DishNetwork. The formats are passable but how smart is the idea of changing from a pure satellite radio play into a "cable" company....if you like a channel on Sirius and have DishNetwork, all you have to do now is record it for later playback in your car. Kind of defeats the purpose of putting it out there on DishNetwork to hopefully gain subscribers for your in-car satellite radio service.

Now XM has turned into an internet radio company by offering their channels streamed online (we pioneered that 9 years ago). I guess as the investment analyists report they're losing something like 50 million each month they have to do something.

XM has a three day free trial at listen.xmradio.com. Feel free to check it out and listen to "Boneyard" which is their attempt at doing hard rock radio. In the last 3 days of steady listening, I've found it quite boring and generic. Sounds like a Clear Channel inspired playlist who incedentally is one of XM's largest investors.
Bohica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am the only person that owns an XM Radio???

I bought it a few months ago, because frankly, the radio stations in Wichita suck!!! And I mean SUCK!!!! If you want to hear 45 minutes of Metalisuck every hour... then move to Wichita.

I have to say, The Boneyard is awesome. Of course, I am partial to 80's metal. Keep in mind that they do play quite a bit of new stuff from the bands that no longer get airplay.

Also, I have heard of Uli Jon Roth, but had never heard anything from him. On XM, I hear him quite a bit. Also, when was the last time you heard Yngwie on regular radio?? Me?? Never!!

I am not taking anything away from Hardradio.com... but I cannot get them in my car... and driving my kids to visit their mother does get old listening to CD's!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: