HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEYBOARDS?in Metal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:31 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

who wants to sign my petition to keep keyboards out of metal just to piss MF off
include songs that include way to much
keyboards....
One band Comes to Mind Savatage they are great but Cmon..when you paint a sunrise to much yellow make for a pretty Gay picture.
hmmm yellow=keyboards=Gay
when over used like enhancing a song 110
percent well I dont think so keyboards over used muck up the other instruments...
Subtraction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:56 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

who wants to sign a petition to keep closed-minded idiots out of metal!

I am sorry, but I normally don't attack people but what you just said is so ridiculous and it kills me that people still think that way. Painting too much crap makes for a Sh**ty picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Something Wicked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:01 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

They can either be used to great effect(a la Dream Theater, Emperor, etc.) or they can prove disastrous(Dummy Burger).

Keyboards are a nice addend, but should be used only when necessary.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:06 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

It seems to me that people don't think the keyboard is a legitemate instrument, that it's something to be looked down upon. I just don't understand!

I mean it all lies in the keyboardist, if you get a crappy one of course it's going to suck, just like if you got a crappy guitarist!

only when necessary, hmmm. I mean a keyboardest can be a great member of a metal band if people would let him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:37 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

Keyboards are like guitar solos - the only reason they should be there at all is when they actually make the song better. There are a lot of metal bands out there which use keys marvellously. And there are a lot of bands which allow them to jack the suck factor way, way up.

It depends not only on the keyboardist, but also on how much rope the band is willing to give him/her, and in what context. A band can actually have the keys overshadow the guitars, and it can still work (Bal-Sagoth), or it can sink the songs (Symphony X).

I guess the problem with keys in metal is that keys generally don't "rock", if you know what I mean. What they're usually used for is...well, a lot of other things. But no genre rocks like metal, so it's easy to see why keys meet so much resistance in some quarters.

Strange thread here - Nuclearx, I actually had you pegged to agree a lot with MF because you're both so much into 80's stuff, but I stand corrected. It's a different kind of 80's stuff you two are into, I guess, which is cool.
Daronas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:57 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

I used to be an avid keyboard basher. If I heard keys in a song, I would immediately piss on it. The single album that changed my mind is Angel Dust's "Bleed". I have not fully come around yet, but I'm getting there.
Dutchrocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

Keyboards in metal? Sure!

I consider myself to be an old school metal head, but still I don't have a problem wiith the use of keyboards in metal. I'll admit it took some getting used to, but albums like Maidens "Somewhere in time" and "Seventh Son" prove that keyboards can enhance the overall sound af an album greatly. I fact, I believe Maiden were one of the first metal bands who used midi applications (on Somewhere in time) and took some serious bashing for it. While it is a great album. It rocks! But I do feel that the emphasis must not lie on the use of keyboards (1984 - Van Halen. Great album, but they took the use of keyboards too far for me).

And keyboards can rock! Just listen to "Say just words" by Paradise Lost.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:25 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

I think keyboards add much depth to certain bands and am all for them when the circumstance is right!!!

Keyboards reinforce moods greatly especially in certain metal tunes.
Classic examples:
Ozzy -[i]Mr Crowley[/i]
Ozzy -[i]Journey to the Center of Eternity[/i]
Judas Priest -[i]Out in the Cold[/i]
Savatage - Any
Malmsteen - Definitely Any

These are just at the top of my head 'cause the disks are right in front of me. But I could go on and on with positive reasons for keys.

Of course the other side that's also good is bands that don't use keyboards and don't need to. - Metallica, Slayer, Death
rockin500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

For most bands, the keyboard should definitely not be primary focus. But for Savatage who it works SOOOO well for, why not? But they dont go way overboard, and i think they mix the guitars in quite nicely. Thats why I love the band, the mix of all instruments. Guns N Roses Illusions albums used keyboards pretty well too and enhanced my listening. So it can work if you know how to use it, just like any instrument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: