HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would metal be even cooler if...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

Blue Oyster Cult had the influence and success that Black Sabbath was/is enjoying?
Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

Now there's a thought for the wicked...
Templar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

Most definitely.
Motorola

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

I agree 100%.
I actually rate Blue Oyster Cult higher than Black Sabbath. Some people say that BOC were Sabbath clones in the seventies, they must never have heard a BOC album. Eric Bloom is one of the greatest vocalists ever with his menacing voice (too bad he's lost it lately...), and Buck Dharma has a unique soulful style. Their lyrics are world class (don't mention Sabbath here). They were the "thinking man's metal", I'd say. How could they achieve the same kind of success as Sabbath with their clever lyrics etc? Of course, they couldn't. Still they sold a bunch of albums thanks to the Reaper, but that song was not very representative for BOC, sounded more like the Byrds.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

I agree - BOC is, overall, the better band. Though I do have to admit, BS's highs and lows were a little more dramatic , and my picks for BOC's best albums (_Spectres_ and _Heaven Forbid_) are not entirely popular ones. Nevertheless, BOC had only one really subpar album to my ears, while BS had at least five.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Motör-Ola:
Their lyrics are world class (don't mention Sabbath here). They were the "thinking man's metal"...

Uhhh... didn't they record that song "Godzilla" with the lyric, "Oh no, there goes Tokyo"?

As for the original question, I would have to say... no. I wouldn't want to change anything. I've been a big fan of this genre for nearly 20 years. I think it is constantly evolving and reaching new levels. That being said, I'm not sure I would want to mess with any of the building blocks.

GZ
YJMfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I had never thought of this before. I've always enjoyed BOC. I first got into them in high school back around 87 or 88. A friend brought in Agents of Fortune an Rush "Hemispheres". I was hooked on both. I had been listening to AC/DC,Sabbath, Ozzy, Bon Jovi and most of the other metal/hard rock that was popular at the time. Hearing those two albums kind of changed my way of thinking about music. I've never felt like BOC got the credit that they deserve.
Desslar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Motör-Ola:
Obviously, all their lyrics weren't clever, but a lot of them were.
BOC have never really released a "headbanging" album. Sure, there are a few "headbanging" tracks, like Cities On Flame, but most of the music is not typical metal.

"Cities on Flame" is a decent track, but it reminds me of the stale, lumbering songs that unfortunately dominated Sabbath's heyday. Give me Dio's Sabbath any day.

I've heard that Club Ninja had a much more commercial sound to it. Does it have an 80s hard rock vibe?
THE_HELLION

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Would metal be even cooler if... Reply with quote

Club Ninja sucked in my opinion. I love there album called "CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS"..Saw then a few years back and they were good except they didnt do the two songs I was wanting to hear .
"BLACKBLADE"
"VETERANS OF THE PSYCHIC WARS"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: