HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

All the talk of Malmsteen around here inspired me. So, I listened to ALL of my Malmsteen CD's today, in that more or less annual attempt I make to justify to myself why I not only keep his discs (which I never listen to anymore otherwise), but for some reason, keep buying them. Here are my thoughts and opinions in brief, capsule review form.

Steeler (never had it!)

Alcatrazz, _No Parole From Rock N' Roll_. Ah, the miracles Yngwie might've wrought if he were humble enough to be part of a real band. Sweet sounds here. (silly personal trivia: I used to have this live video with three songs off of this, and it was almost a decade before I found out where they came from, cuz they sure weren't on any of Yngwie's solo albums) Rating: 8 (though it'd be an easy 9, at least, without my personal lack of a use for early-80's-light-"hard" rock)

_Rising Force_. Awesome - Yngwie makes neoclassical instrumental metal what it damned well should be. Rating: 10

_Marching Out_. And he can do metal too. No wonder I was so into this guy in high school. Jeff Scott Soto remains my favorite Yngwie singer. Even "I Am A Viking", which once seemed so cheesy, seems so kick-ass now. Rating: 10

_Trilogy_. Mark Boals's yelping and a strangely dry, bland kinda vibe to this album really put me off. I got into Yngwie just before _Eclipse_ came out, but this was always the only one of the first four albums I never much liked. But "Fire" and the closing instrumental save it from mere mediocrity, and there's nothing here less than acceptable. Rating: 7.5

_Odyssey_. Joe Lynn Turner, and an attempt at being commercial (!) put off a lot of fans, but not me. Nothing too outstanding here, but it's consistently good. I once tried hitting on a girl in my grade 12 class trying to show her how to play parts of "Deja Vu". Didn't work. Note: track 2 is kinda bluesy, the first (I think) of Yngwie's many, many attempts to play a style he's repeatedly said in interviews that he finds boring. It shows. Rating: 8

_Eclipse_. Gah! This Goran guy, I like even less than Boals. Track 2 is bluesy again. Some cool songs ("Devil In Disguise", "Faultline") but mostly just kinda acceptable. Probably the most widely panned Yngwie album. The "Making Love" video is hysterical. Rating: 6

_Fire & Ice_. I can understand why a lot of people hold this in even lower regard than _Eclipse_ - it sure doesn't start well, and I can't blame anybody for turning it off a few tracks in. And for sure, "Teaser" is the first Yngwie song I really couldn't stand. But the use of strings is awesomely well-done (even if a bit of an overdue idea) and this has several of the first "Hell, yeah!" songs I'd heard from Yngwie since the good ones on _Trilogy_. Unfortunately, they would also be the last (not counting the _Concerto_ disc) for about seven years. Rating: 8.5

_The Seventh Sign_. I really liked this when it came out, but I can't say it's aged well. New singer Mike Vescera gives things a bit of a kick in the ass, this being the most "metal" album from Yngwie since _Marching Out_. But, I dunno, there's about an even split here between the acceptable and the pretty good. Still, for a guy who everybody says never changes and all his stuff sounds the same, seven albums deep I hear a noticeable evolution from album per album, not always for the better, but noticeable just the same. Track 2 is bluesy again. Rating: 7

_Magnum Opus_. So much for evolution, this one sounds pretty much exactly the same as _The Seventh Sign_. And listening to them back-to-back, it seems clear that they're about as good as each other. But this is about the point at which my interest dropped to near zero - with development stopping dead and no noticeable improvement, stagnation seemed to set in. Still, a reasonably good album. Was track 2 bluesy here? I'm too lazy to check now. Rating: 7

_Inspiration_. Despite having the only album cover to date which didn't suck, I never got the original press of this, which I'm kinda glad for now because the reissue has a bonus disc and some of the most hilariously disorganized packaging I've ever seen. Fairly obvious-seeming bunch of covers, awesomely well-played with a curious mix of reverence and Yngwie's trademark egomaniac fretwanking. Yngwie does his own (way too blues-inflected) vocals on a Hendrix cover. For big fans only, I guess. I'm not much for covers albums, and usually find them good for maybe three songs. Rating: 6.5

_Facing The Animal_. I've given this disc nothing but shit over the years. I've given Yngwie nothing but shit for his frequent "I've completely reinvented myself!" comments, but I'll be honest with you - I can only remember the one specific instance of him saying that, around the time of this album. BUT...I also remember reading that and, at the time, thinking "Ferchrissakes, that's like the tenth time he's said that." No, no noticeable evolution here, even the new singer (not credited in the crappy packaging) sounding so much like Vescera, it was years before I found out it wasn't him. Now there are two songs that annoy the crap out of me, particularly the track 2 blues crapwagon title track. Cancelling them out are two pretty-good songs, making the balance of this album in that acceptable-but-I'd-never-actually-listen-to-this-for-enjoyment range. Worst cover ever - Yngwie isn't good-looking enough to justify his face taking up this much space. Rating: 5

_Concerto_. I get the feeling that serious students of classical music would find this novel and lightweight at best, laughable at worst. Hell, for a guy who was once the biggest Malmsteen fan I knew (okay, the only Malmsteen fan I knew), this is the long-overdue triumph I kept hoping for. A pastiche, yes, but a brilliant one. Rating: 10

_Alchemy_. Every time I think of this album, I think of it as crass, pandering cack - Malmsteen bringing Boals back and then tacking on the Rising Force name to try to convince people that he was back to form (ironically, _Trilogy_ was the only early Malmsteen album without the Rising Force name), and claiming for the first time in interviews that _Trilogy_ was his favorite of the old albums. Yeah, right. Still, while a lot of this feels like a patchwork mess (he actually waits four tracks to put in another crappy stab at the blues), there are some gems, particularly, incredibly, a bluesy instrumental which is played in a way which only Yngwie could play it. And for once that's a good thing regarding Yngwie's blues stylings. Easily, the best rock song from Yngwie since _Final Curtain_. Opener "Blitzkrieg" almost gets me excited about him soloing. Almost. Came with a poster, which I threw out. Tip: if you're the one person in the entire world most associated with the term "musical masturbation", it's probably not a good idea to put out a song called "Wield My Sword". Rating: 6

_War To End All Wars_. I was mildly impressed with this at first, but listening to it again today, it feels like the twin brother of _Alchemy_ the way _Magnum Opus_ was just _The Seventh Sign_ vol. 2. I still don't like the production or the packaging (that pic of Yngwie on the back couldn't possibly look any more fake, even the sword looking like it shouldn't be there, let alone his head), despite the cool cover. More awful blues attempts (really, by now, it seems obvious that "Blue" aside, these are consistently the weak link on these albums), a song called "Crucify" (please!) and another called "Miracle Of Life" (puh-LEEZE!)...but "The Wizard" is so damned cool, it's the coolest damn Yngwie song with vocals since...uh, _Final Curtain_. If only I'd known at the time how prophetic that title was. Rating: 6

The bottom line regarding the last decade of rock Yngwie is, I know Yngwie can do a LOT better, and I know he knows it too. The question is, will I be getting his next album? Yeah, probably. I'm a creature of habit, and there's always this soft, cushy, hope-filled part of myself which thinks he's gonna impress me again. Hey, I keep buying Megadeth's albums too...
Motorola

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

Nice run-down on all Malmsteen albums, TR!
I loved the first two albums, but wasn't very impressed with Trilogy. I haven't bought any of his albums since. Judging by your reviews, I haven't missed much.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

That certainly is a Malmsteen-ariffic day!! I wish I had the time or ability to do that....a one year old boy tends to be somewhat distracting.

Anyway, that's a good, non-biased rundown of Yngwie's albums (I'm biased, so I'd rate several of them higher [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). Personally, I really like Facing The Animal and War To End All Wars, especially the WTEAW Japanese bonus track, "Treasure From The East".

Apparently Yngwie is taking a lot of time writing his new album, there's no pressure to get another album out, unlike with WTEAW, and he's got a new management team, so hopefully everyone connected with this album, including behind the scenes guys, so hopefully it will be top-notch all round.

Oh, by the way, Yngwie's apparently written six movements for his next classical album so far, with some "insane Paganini style" stuff on there....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

Nice reviews and rundown. I haven't bought any Yngwie since Trilogy myself. Liked it all up till then, with Alcatrazz being my favorite. Would love to see him in a real band like that again. The Steeler is cool, tho it is a bit strange, good rock/metal in the L.A. style but with Yngwie wailing the solos. some cool tunes and an Eruption like solo by YJM.
'breaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

Interesting.

In particular:

quote:
Originally posted by T-rabbit[b]
_Concerto_. I get the feeling that serious students of classical music would find this novel and lightweight at best, laughable at worst. Hell, for a guy who was once the biggest Malmsteen fan I knew (okay, the only Malmsteen fan I knew), this is the long-overdue triumph I kept hoping for. A pastiche, yes, but a brilliant one. Rating: 10

[/b]

I agree with your thoughts, on clasical music students, however, I would add, that they'd probly make the determination, before listening to it. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

-Marty
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
All the talk of Malmsteen around here inspired me. So, I listened to ALL of my Malmsteen CD's today, in that more or less annual attempt I make to justify to myself why I not only keep his discs (which I never listen to anymore otherwise), but for some reason, keep buying them. Here are my thoughts and opinions in brief, capsule review form.

Steeler (never had it!)

Alcatrazz, _No Parole From Rock N' Roll_. Ah, the miracles Yngwie might've wrought if he were humble enough to be part of a real band. Sweet sounds here. (silly personal trivia: I used to have this live video with three songs off of this, and it was almost a decade before I found out where they came from, cuz they sure weren't on any of Yngwie's solo albums) Rating: 8 (though it'd be an easy 9, at least, without my personal lack of a use for early-80's-light-"hard" rock)

_Rising Force_. Awesome - Yngwie makes neoclassical instrumental metal what it damned well should be. Rating: 10

_Marching Out_. And he can do metal too. No wonder I was so into this guy in high school. Jeff Scott Soto remains my favorite Yngwie singer. Even "I Am A Viking", which once seemed so cheesy, seems so kick-ass now. Rating: 10

_Trilogy_. Mark Boals's yelping and a strangely dry, bland kinda vibe to this album really put me off. I got into Yngwie just before _Eclipse_ came out, but this was always the only one of the first four albums I never much liked. But "Fire" and the closing instrumental save it from mere mediocrity, and there's nothing here less than acceptable. Rating: 7.5
Great reviews here. This is also about where I stop as far as cds of his.
_Odyssey_. Joe Lynn Turner, and an attempt at being commercial (!) put off a lot of fans, but not me. Nothing too outstanding here, but it's consistently good. I once tried hitting on a girl in my grade 12 class trying to show her how to play parts of "Deja Vu". Didn't work. Note: track 2 is kinda bluesy, the first (I think) of Yngwie's many, many attempts to play a style he's repeatedly said in interviews that he finds boring. It shows. Rating: 8

_Eclipse_. Gah! This Goran guy, I like even less than Boals. Track 2 is bluesy again. Some cool songs ("Devil In Disguise", "Faultline") but mostly just kinda acceptable. Probably the most widely panned Yngwie album. The "Making Love" video is hysterical. Rating: 6

_Fire & Ice_. I can understand why a lot of people hold this in even lower regard than _Eclipse_ - it sure doesn't start well, and I can't blame anybody for turning it off a few tracks in. And for sure, "Teaser" is the first Yngwie song I really couldn't stand. But the use of strings is awesomely well-done (even if a bit of an overdue idea) and this has several of the first "Hell, yeah!" songs I'd heard from Yngwie since the good ones on _Trilogy_. Unfortunately, they would also be the last (not counting the _Concerto_ disc) for about seven years. Rating: 8.5

_The Seventh Sign_. I really liked this when it came out, but I can't say it's aged well. New singer Mike Vescera gives things a bit of a kick in the ass, this being the most "metal" album from Yngwie since _Marching Out_. But, I dunno, there's about an even split here between the acceptable and the pretty good. Still, for a guy who everybody says never changes and all his stuff sounds the same, seven albums deep I hear a noticeable evolution from album per album, not always for the better, but noticeable just the same. Track 2 is bluesy again. Rating: 7

_Magnum Opus_. So much for evolution, this one sounds pretty much exactly the same as _The Seventh Sign_. And listening to them back-to-back, it seems clear that they're about as good as each other. But this is about the point at which my interest dropped to near zero - with development stopping dead and no noticeable improvement, stagnation seemed to set in. Still, a reasonably good album. Was track 2 bluesy here? I'm too lazy to check now. Rating: 7

_Inspiration_. Despite having the only album cover to date which didn't suck, I never got the original press of this, which I'm kinda glad for now because the reissue has a bonus disc and some of the most hilariously disorganized packaging I've ever seen. Fairly obvious-seeming bunch of covers, awesomely well-played with a curious mix of reverence and Yngwie's trademark egomaniac fretwanking. Yngwie does his own (way too blues-inflected) vocals on a Hendrix cover. For big fans only, I guess. I'm not much for covers albums, and usually find them good for maybe three songs. Rating: 6.5

_Facing The Animal_. I've given this disc nothing but shit over the years. I've given Yngwie nothing but shit for his frequent "I've completely reinvented myself!" comments, but I'll be honest with you - I can only remember the one specific instance of him saying that, around the time of this album. BUT...I also remember reading that and, at the time, thinking "Ferchrissakes, that's like the tenth time he's said that." No, no noticeable evolution here, even the new singer (not credited in the crappy packaging) sounding so much like Vescera, it was years before I found out it wasn't him. Now there are two songs that annoy the crap out of me, particularly the track 2 blues crapwagon title track. Cancelling them out are two pretty-good songs, making the balance of this album in that acceptable-but-I'd-never-actually-listen-to-this-for-enjoyment range. Worst cover ever - Yngwie isn't good-looking enough to justify his face taking up this much space. Rating: 5

_Alchemy_. Every time I think of this album, I think of it as crass, pandering cack - Malmsteen bringing Boals back and then tacking on the Rising Force name to try to convince people that he was back to form (ironically, _Trilogy_ was the only early Malmsteen album without the Rising Force name), and claiming for the first time in interviews that _Trilogy_ was his favorite of the old albums. Yeah, right. Still, while a lot of this feels like a patchwork mess (he actually waits four tracks to put in another crappy stab at the blues), there are some gems, particularly, incredibly, a bluesy instrumental which is played in a way which only Yngwie could play it. And for once that's a good thing regarding Yngwie's blues stylings. Easily, the best rock song from Yngwie since _Final Curtain_. Opener "Blitzkrieg" almost gets me excited about him soloing. Almost. Came with a poster, which I threw out. Tip: if you're the one person in the entire world most associated with the term "musical masturbation", it's probably not a good idea to put out a song called "Wield My Sword". Rating: 6

_War To End All Wars_. I was mildly impressed with this at first, but listening to it again today, it feels like the twin brother of _Alchemy_ the way _Magnum Opus_ was just _The Seventh Sign_ vol. 2. I still don't like the production or the packaging (that pic of Yngwie on the back couldn't possibly look any more fake, even the sword looking like it shouldn't be there, let alone his head), despite the cool cover. More awful blues attempts (really, by now, it seems obvious that "Blue" aside, these are consistently the weak link on these albums), a song called "Crucify" (please!) and another called "Miracle Of Life" (puh-LEEZE!)...but "The Wizard" is so damned cool, it's the coolest damn Yngwie song with vocals since...uh, _Final Curtain_. If only I'd known at the time how prophetic that title was. Rating: 6

The bottom line regarding the last decade of rock Yngwie is, I know Yngwie can do a LOT better, and I know he knows it too. The question is, will I be getting his next album? Yeah, probably. I'm a creature of habit, and there's always this soft, cushy, hope-filled part of myself which thinks he's gonna impress me again. Hey, I keep buying Megadeth's albums too...

Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by PHDPLUS:
Phase 2(1987-1994): Yngwie wraps his jaguar around a tree and f**ks up his picking hand. Throughout the recovery stage he's physically forced to play wanker-like solos the kind you hear from messers Vai, Satriani, etc. (any name will do here).

I don't understand this. What aspect of his recovery forced him to play wanker-like solos?

quote:
Phase 3(1994-1998): Facing the Animal totally kicks ass. His solos are made for the songs and he nails every last one of them. End of My Rope and Casting Pearls Before the Swine are classic Yngwie with solos that are inhumanly fast and clean. The Recovery Period (kind of like the Mesozoic) is over.

Actually, I found the solos on this album to be uncharacteristically kinda sloppy sounding. (or maybe it was _Alchemy_? I don't recall...) As for them being made for the songs, he improvises everything and always has. But...fast and clean...okay, next...

quote:
We have a classical guitar instructor on campus. I asked him once what he thought of Yngwie. His reply was "Oh he's just a showoff". Translation: I can't play like Yngwie. Well, join the club. In guitar circles the only thing that's laughable is when one of your wanker favorites says that he can play anything Yngwie can play.

Yeah, and I can play golf like Tiger Woods.

(in mild support of what you said - I remember around 1990 or so, Joe Satriani was on MuchMusic, and the VJ was for whatever reason, asking him to imitate the styles of all the other guitar heroes at the time, which he did handily. She got to Yngwie, and Joe just shook his head and say "Yngwie's impossible to imitate." Even though Joe was my favorite at the time, I strongly suspected that just meant he physically couldn't play it...because structurally speaking, Yngwie's solos always seemed easily imitable)

The thing is...you're praising Yngwie's finger-gymnastics to the moon and back, and nobody's denying that he's the best or at least one of the best at that. And there's more that he's world-class at as well.

But to compare musicianship to playing golf - that's why I don't take Yngwie seriously anymore, and I suspect that's why a LOT of people don't take him seriously anymore. To view music as a competition, where one guy has to constantly outdo/outplay/outdazzle everybody else in town, well, I personally can't think of anything that will make that one guy's music more boring more quickly.

If I wanted that, I'd be a sports fan. I'm not.
PHDPLUS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

A slightly less detailed summary of Yngwie and his guitar prowess might go something like this:

Phase 1(circa 1983-1987): He shows the guitar world exactly how to play a guitar solo that doesn't suck. In fact he not only impresses the hard rock community, he even blows the bow ties off of the stuffed shirts in classical guitar.

Phase 2(1987-1994): Yngwie wraps his jaguar around a tree and f**ks up his picking hand. Throughout the recovery stage he's physically forced to play wanker-like solos the kind you hear from messers Vai, Satriani, etc. (any name will do here).

Phase 3(1994-1998): Facing the Animal totally kicks ass. His solos are made for the songs and he nails every last one of them. End of My Rope and Casting Pearls Before the Swine are classic Yngwie with solos that are inhumanly fast and clean. The Recovery Period (kind of like the Mesozoic) is over.

Phase 4(1998- present): Yngwie Who? Yngwie .... That's Who! Who dat on guitar? It's Super Yngwie- able to leap tall arpeggios in a single phrase. Faster than a speeding diminished harmonic minor, in E flat of course. Molto Arpeggiosa and Instrumental Institution make Far Beyond the Sun sound like Mary had a little Lamb. Like the sage from Spinal Tap proclaimed, "after Yngwie we should all be forced to turn are guitars into coffee tables"- no sh#t Sherlock.

As I've said so prophetically before, all of your favorite guitarists would have thrown up all over their shoes at the daunting prospect of playing the equivalent part of lead violinist with a symphony orchestra. What blows me away with his new DVD is that he improvises even in this situation. The New Japan Philharmonic didn't know if Yngwie was coming or going since he soloed his ass off even if it wasn't his turn. He made the Concerto several orders of magnitude better with stellar adaptations of the original. When he had to play a basic theme or melody he did so, but when he got his chance to show off, he let the meatball hang.

We have a classical guitar instructor on campus. I asked him once what he thought of Yngwie. His reply was "Oh he's just a showoff". Translation: I can't play like Yngwie. Well, join the club. In guitar circles the only thing that's laughable is when one of your wanker favorites says that he can play anything Yngwie can play.

Yeah, and I can play golf like Tiger Woods.

Later dudes, I've got to go teach mathematical statistics.
Desslar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: I had a Malmsteen-ariffic day... Reply with quote

That sounded like a pretty good review of Yngwie's albums, although I can't say that I've heard them all. I do have to disagree with the assessments of his first two outings though, which I rented only to hear Yngwie wail.

Steeler- it's hardly even noticeable that Yngwie is playing on this disc. Generic hard rock that makes Keel look like gods of metal. Not exactly bad, but Yngwie's playing is very restrained, low-key, and hardly earth-shattering.

Alcatrazz - Uggh! I was shocked by how bad this band was. Graham Bonnet is easily one of my least favorite vocalists, and the cheesy, bland lyrics don't help at all. Yngwie gets to strut his stuff a bit more here, but the songs are so lame and subdued that he is, for the most part, unable to rise above the material. We do get his first solo number though, which isn't bad.

I am a fan of Yngwie's playing ("Far Beyond the Sun" is awesome!!), but no one here has mentioned what I consider to be his biggest liability. More often than not his solos, while impressive, are so long and over-the-top that they completely overwhelm the song they are supposed to support. Often the solos don't match the mood of the song, being much heavier and darker than the rest of the material. If he could rein in his playing a bit I think the songs would be much more effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: